Joining Armoured Cable together.

Soldato
OP
that is all I can see

I'm going to open the junction box on the inside of the garage and show y'all a picture of what that looks like when I get a chance. :)

Soldato
OP
I think it is 3 core too

these are my mundane attempts at pics such a shame what they did to photoshop so using tinpic now which is as useless as some people I know!

vnid6o.jpg

8vx4ro.jpg

vnid6o.jpg

is the 6mm the circumference around the wire?

Soldato
OP
photobucket I meant*

it seems they've put the earth together with either live or neutral not sure why
I wish I paid more attention to this when I got the wiring done in the whole house.

Soldato
OP
what was your theory again?

I was hoping you'd look at that and see something glaringly obvious like it's not been earthed that is your problem right there. shame.

got to be nicked slightly underground and needs repairing.

Last edited:
what was your theory again?

I was hoping you'd look at that and see something glaringly obvious like it's not been earthed that is your problem right there. shame.

got to be nicked slightly underground and needs repairing.

theory that shielding is earthed and is nicked and causing your problems, its still possible its earthed at the other end but unlikely one end would be and the other not imo

worth just checking the other end as well I guess, you should never rule out a loose wire etc before you start digging!

Soldato
OP
theory that shielding is earthed and is nicked and causing your problems, its still possible its earthed at the other end but unlikely one end would be and the other not imo

worth just checking the other end as well I guess, you should never rule out a loose wire etc before you start digging!

so basically open the whole RCD and check whether on the RCD side the earth wire is connected in the same way?

If it Is NOT the same, then what shall I do? (rather check first this than dig up my lovely turf)

If at the other end the shielding is connected to earth then its your call

If you have nicked the earth only then it could be causing the trip, disconnecting this may stop it.
But I am certainly not saying thats the right thing to do, there seems to be some dispute amongst electricians on using the shielding as a secondary earth or not. Try googling it to see the different views.

Soldato
photobucket I meant*

it seems they've put the earth together with either live or neutral not sure why
I wish I paid more attention to this when I got the wiring done in the whole house.

It wouldn't work if that was the case. If you look closely the wire that has been wrapped in earth tape (grey core), and your neutral go to different points. I thought the same as you at first glance but that is not the case.

Soldato
OP
It wouldn't work if that was the case. If you look closely the wire that has been wrapped in earth tape (grey core), and your neutral go to different points. I thought the same as you at first glance but that is not the case.

so basically the earth wire connects to nowhere!

Soldato
Thats the nastyiest looking way to terminate an armourd cable ive ever seen!

If you have a volt meter disconnect the cable (both ends) and check the resistance of all the cores to earth one by one. And then check them all to the armour one by one. And if you still dont find anything check between eachother

We test with a megger at work (500/1000v) to earth but you should hopefully be able to see if someings fubar with a normal meter.

And yes 6mm is the conductor size, will be 1.5mm armour.

Where are you located out of interest?

Soldato
OP
Thats the nastyiest looking way to terminate an armourd cable ive ever seen!

If you have a volt meter disconnect the cable (both ends) and check the resistance of all the cores to earth one by one. And then check them all to the armour one by one. And if you still dont find anything check between eachother

We test with a megger at work (500/1000v) to earth but you should hopefully be able to see if someings fubar with a normal meter.

And yes 6mm is the conductor size, will be 1.5mm armour.

Where are you located out of interest?

cheers mate sent you a message in trust.

Back
Top Bottom