Elite:Dangerous

Soldato
Also worth noting, I couldnt get the audio working through the headset till I reinstalled it via Oculus Home, everything else worked fine.

You can get your redeem code from Frontier so you can claim it in Oculus ;)
That seems a bit random? Anyone else suffer from this issue?

Soldato
That seems a bit random? Anyone else suffer from this issue?

My ED was completely separate, not through Steam so its possibly not an issue if you have it through Steam and works fine through Oculus, a few others had the same issue, even when you select HMD audio in the settings within ED.

Soldato
As Devrij said, if you've rebound your recenter button, it should work in the start menu (and I'm fairly sure it should even work on the loading screen). If you've rebound that option and it's still not working, then there's something weird going off.

It shouldn't matter where you're launching the game from (Frontier launcher, Home, Steam) but if you do launch it form Oculus Home it is set up straight away to go into VR mode, so you don't have to initially set anything from the menus. I have it running from Home because it was just easier after a Windows reinstall to pick it from the Home menu, rather than go and grab an extra game installer.

Edit - noticed you just replied to Devrij. At this point, I'd seriously consider uninstalling, make sure you delete any left over Elite file/folders, and reinstall from Home. You really shouldn't be having an issue recentering.

Cheers FlukeRogi and Devrig both.
I think Ive managed to sort it out. Just simply did a recenter via the Oculus software, seems to have done the trick. Many thanks.

(And thanks all to those who responded).

Soldato
Thanks FlukeRogi.

Incidentally is this true:
https://www.vrheads.com/how-enable-vr-elite-dangerous
Must I really go through this even though I have the game already and somehow it's working fine?

??? wow is this ^^^^ true? When i last played Elite in VR i just loaded up from the frontier UI and switched on the oculus headset. Then before i launched i would tweak the SS in oculus debug tool.

I did spend quite a while messing about with both elite in game settings and graphics settings outside the game.

how are you enjoying Elite in VR?

btw was it you i sent my Voiceattack settings to maybe about a year ago? lol

Soldato
Cheers FlukeRogi :)

Surfer - Yep how weird about that link eh? I seem to be at the "messing around stage".
My enjoyment of Elite in VR? Immense. Really takes it to another level. Dog fighting really is phenomental and its great to be able to track enemies just by turning my head.
And I just love how fluid the menu systems are in game when you turn your head.

One thing which is getting me however... the top left menu, when you look at it, it doesn't generate the "selection" highlight so you can move across and select the various elements to the menu.
Whereas if you look bottom left, bottom centre, and right menus, the selection highlight appears. (not sure if I am making sense here).
So not sure what gives!

Soldato
Mmm, bizzarely I turned everything to low and it now jumps to 90hz.

If I turn to medium high or ultra it just goes to 45.
I have a fairly ok system. 980TI should handle Elite no probs...

Soldato
Ahhh I see. Ok thanks bud.
Does ASW actually show it at 90fps? Bevcause I don't physically see 90FPS being displays just whats best described as a limited 45fps frame rate.

Associate
Ahhh I see. Ok thanks bud.
Does ASW actually show it at 90fps? Bevcause I don't physically see 90FPS being displays just whats best described as a limited 45fps frame rate.
If you're seeing 90fps on a framerate counter, then you're getting a true 90fps. If it says 45fps, then ASW has kicked in and is generating every other frame.

Soldato
How much SuperSampling you running?
Good question. Its 1.25 I believe.
But surely that shouldn't be taxing?
(Running 980TI here).

I was running this on a triple monitor setup before long and it was super smooth even at 1.25 super sampling.

If you're seeing 90fps on a framerate counter, then you're getting a true 90fps. If it says 45fps, then ASW has kicked in and is generating every other frame.

Ah I see ok thanks FlukeRogi.

Incidentally, I don't completely understand the concept of ASW and asymmetric projection or whatever its called?

I know its something to do with putting in an extra frame but what is the reason behind it?

Soldato
Something isn't right there. I could run Elite with 1.5 ss (Oculus debug tool) with a gtx980. OK wouldn't get high fps on planets but space should be above 90 np.

What are the settings like these days? Can you choose Vr high specific or is it just normal graphic setting ultra, very high, high etc. It's been quite a while since I played.

Soldato
Can I ask what are you using to detect FPS?

I am using the "performance" selection on the debug tool and shows it in Hz.
The title menu is always 45....

Could it be that because I am running the Steam version, I first have to run the Oculus software and this could be taking resource away?

Are you guys using Oculus or Steam version?

Last edited:
Associate

Could it be that because I am running the Steam version, I first have to run the Oculus software and this could be taking resource away?

I generally install it via Oculus Home. If you're using a Rift, make sure you disable the SteamVR reprojection options though, otherwise you might get a conflict where both SteamVR and the Oculus drivers both try to do their reprojection voodoo which can lead to performance loss. Disable it in SteamVR and just let the Oculus drivers handle it.

Associate

I was originally using the standalone, but with owning that you can get an Oculus key from Frontier so you can launch it directly from Home. Similarly, you can get an Oculus key if you have a Steam key.

Back
Top Bottom