• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Soldato
But this one is based on rampage not tuf:p

There will certainly be boards that don't cost $500.
I expect £250-£300 for a decent one.

Rampage Schampage! If it's priced too high people will pass it over since AMD's strongest selling point is the total platform cost compared to Intel.

Got my eye on the Taichi - wish it had a bit more white like the x370 board though as I've just got white ram!

I really like the X399 Taichi, although I hope the LEDs aren't bright blue like they are on the x299 version.

Associate
Rampage Schampage! If it's priced too high people will pass it over since AMD's strongest selling point is the total platform cost compared to Intel.

I really like the X399 Taichi, although I hope the LEDs aren't bright blue like they are on the x299 version.

Same here. Can the LEDs be turned off on the X299 version? If they can then I don't care.

Associate
Interesting, can this also be done in the BIOS (or at least get remembered after a reboot)? I spend ~90% of my time in linux so would be annoying if it can only be done on windows

Soldato
Interesting, can this also be done in the BIOS (or at least get remembered after a reboot)? I spend ~90% of my time in linux so would be annoying if it can only be done on windows

Looking at Tomshardware review, it seems it's Windows and BIOS. The BIOS has a "Tool" section and part of that is the LED control.

Hopefully the X399 board has similar controls.

Associate
Ah excellent. Alternatively if the RGB can be set once in windows and it's stored between boots then I'm happy to do that too. The Taichi is aesthetically the prettiest board we've seen imho and unless reviewers come up with a good reason not to get it, I'll be going for that as soon as a TR waterblock is available.

Soldato
I bloody well hope not! A decent x299 board like the TUF Mark 1 is significantly cheaper than that.
I hope AMD's partners don't go silly on the motherboard prices; as that shoots the platform cost in the leg.

It's Asus and RoG and it's their flagship board for cpus which are likely to be £1,000

Dam right it's going to be overpriced.

But this is the to hell with the cost end. There will be many other boards with a lesser price tag.

Soldato
It's Asus and RoG and it's their flagship board for cpus which are likely to be £1,000

Dam right it's going to be overpriced.

But this is the to hell with the cost end. There will be many other boards with a lesser price tag.

Yep. Gigabyte, MSI, Asrock.
And especially hopping for an MSI titanium to be reasonably priced and come in titanium colour. No more blacks :/

Last edited:
Caporegime
At the end of the day, this isn't exactly a mainstream platform, it's to be expected there's a premium for board and CPU.

I'll find it interesting to see end prices etc, but don't think I'll be dropping my 1700 for a long time (As long as games progress CPU usage wise overall)

Soldato
OP
At the end of the day, this isn't exactly a mainstream platform, it's to be expected there's a premium for board and CPU.

I'll find it interesting to see end prices etc, but don't think I'll be dropping my 1700 for a long time (As long as games progress CPU usage wise overall)

Yup, on a 1700 too, will wait for Zen+ or Zen 2 whatever it's gonna be called and throw in the highest end mainstream Zen chip. Will likely end up better for gaming than threadripper anyway, and tbh 8 cores / 16 threads is already enough for my progs xD

Soldato
Any indication yet as to how temperamental these systems will be with regards to memory?

Took a while for Ryzen systems to get to 3200mhz and above and that was just dual channel.

Quad channel may be harder again. Hoping still to get 3200mhz.

The chips I guess we are looking at ~£750 and ~£950 for 1920X and 1950X.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Well, PC parts are currently 1:1 usd vs gbp (example ryzen 1700 $299 on newegg and £299 on ocuk), so I think the 1920x will be £799 and the 1950x £999.

Soldato
Any indication yet as to how temperamental these systems will be with regards to memory?

Took a while for Ryzen systems to get to 3200mhz and above and that was just dual channel.

Quad channel may be harder again. Hoping still to get 3200mhz.

AGESA 1006 applies to the X399 platform, so 4000Mhz is supported.
The issue with the X370 is that many board manufacturers cheapen out :/

Associate
Like to see well made EATX Workstation Motherboard over Gaming Motherboard with poor motherboard heatsinks
too much plastic parts on new board around

Soldato
Like to see well made EATX Workstation Motherboard over Gaming Motherboard with poor motherboard heatsinks
too much plastic parts on new board around

Unfortunately with the RGB thing going on, no. Better buy a server board and an EPYC 16 core which will cost you less if you want that.
Saying that, the Zenith apparently, has fans under the 2 hoods cooling everything.

Back
Top Bottom