• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato

See this indicates to me that gaming Vega should fall somewhere between 1080 and 108Ti. Vega FE is trading blows with the 1080 here even with it's limited stock cooler with core clock averaging around 1440 MHz. With decent cooling I would expect Vega RX to sit much closer to ~1600 stock and coupled with even 10% boost due to more optimised drivers expect ~20% faster over Vega FE.

I haven't even factored in the allegedly disabled gaming features and power optimisations the RX is rumoured to get. Even if this isn't true then I do expect Vega to be a very decent upgrade over Fury/FuryX. So I will be getting one and pairing it with my 4k Freesync monitor.

Caporegime
If I remember correctly nvidia Ti and XP was also very limited in what was known outside of nvidia. No one expected the little Xp and even the Ti was a surprise.

If amd have managed to keep everything under lock down good for them I say
Nvidia were in a very different position where it made sense to be quite, releasing information about the Ti when the Titan was already rleased would have cost sales. AMD have nothing to loose by rleasing more shippets and letting out some leaks, excpet of course if the RX really does perform he same as everyone with a head on their shoulders expects from the FE.

Associate
That slide has been interpreted in many different ways. Some say it's the segment they are attacking, others say the line merely indicates the end of the financial quarter they are referring to.

tFK9lV0.jpg

If anyone want's to try and put this slide into context, you can try and understand with this video https://youtu.be/g6_97GOr63w?t=5023 there's a guy speaking in Russian over the top, but unfortunately it's the only video available on the net including the Lisa Su part ... >_< (it's easier to hear with headphones)
But from what I understand the line on the side represents their market share goals in a given sector ( 1:24:21) then she says that raja will explain how they will be present in all the sectors with Vega, and then we can go and listen to Raja's part for further context (no Russian) from here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=590h3XIUfHg&t=1860s

Last edited:

HRL

HRL

Soldato
If I remember correctly nvidia Ti and XP was also very limited in what was known outside of nvidia. No one expected the little Xp and even the Ti was a surprise.

If amd have managed to keep everything under lock down good for them I say

Gibbo probably has boxes of them stacked up in the OC warehouse. However, AMD have threatened to shoot him if he so much as mentions them. ;)

Associate
I expect the AIO version to way more expensive than people have guessed, with the spin that it is designed for those who demand a quiet rig. The premium will be for the silence and cooler temps inside a case, not to unlock the full potential of the GPU (according to marketing, anyway). I fear near or even over Ti prices.

Caporegime
I expect the AIO version to way more expensive than people have guessed, with the spin that it is designed for those who demand a quiet rig. The premium will be for the silence and cooler temps inside a case, not to unlock the full potential of the GPU (according to marketing, anyway). I fear near or even over Ti prices.

Better not be as you can get a 1080Ti with a decent AIB cooler that will run very cool and virtually silent anyway.

Soldato
LOL, clutching at straws mate.

Vega isn't going to be a 1080Ti competitor, it's going to top out somewhere near 1080 perf.

Feel free to quote me on release day... (not 9 months later after they fix the drivers...)

I am not clutching at anything, I don't expect Vega to match a 1080Ti. I just know that all of last year AMD covered the mid end TAM from start to finish, as they will this year. The high end however they will only cover for about 50% of the year so therefore the line only goes half way up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom