• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
The writing was on the wall, so many in here saying don't judge anything based on the FE. It has been one calamity after another from AMD regarding Vega and they were clearly hiding how average the performance is. Oh well 1 out of 2 ain't bad (Ryzen).

Associate
Jeezes listen to yourselves. The only reason Vega "sucks" is because most of you have gotten into your heads that it would be a 1080ti contender which was never promised.
I respectfully disagree there are many reasons it sucks. All of which have been outlined in the posts preceding yours, in detail.

Associate
Jeezes listen to yourselves. The only reason Vega "sucks" is because most of you have gotten into your heads that it would be a 1080ti contender which was never promised.

+1 to this.

I will be selling my 1070 for the AIO Vega, i have a Freesync screen and want an upgrade that will harness that feature, so the Vega is that option.

Im pretty sure once we see AIB cooled cards with better clocks and reviews these cards wont seem to be so bad afterall.

Pretty sure i wont be the only Freesync owner with a current Nvidia card switching back either.

Soldato
+1 to this.

I will be selling my 1070 for the AIO Vega, i have a Freesync screen and want an upgrade that will harness that feature, so the Vega is that option.

Im pretty sure once we see AIB cooled cards with better clocks and reviews these cards wont seem to be so bad afterall.

Pretty sure i wont be the only Freesync owner with a current Nvidia card switching back either.
No I might be joining you, although I'm considering getting G-Sync if ultrawide 1440p 144hz kicks off.

Associate
How many of you want to bet that the "radeon deals" are only for the US? In the market for a new monitor and possibly motherboard & CPU as well, so for me the radeon deals thing is kind of lucrative (except I don't want a ryzen 7 CPU :p). But at this stage I don't want to give AMD a single dime for lying and dragging things out needlessly; another 2 weeks for reviews - are you *******g kidding me??

Soldato
So whats the bottom line, without the emotion or fanboyism?

From what I've just skim read still not a lot. There is only specs and prices released which dont look too bad to me, fan boys are ripping it because it doesnt beat a 1080Ti but at no point did anyone expect it to. We'll have to wait longer for reviews and real world performance which is still guess work at this stage.

Associate
It's GTX 1080 performance for more money and higher power consumption.

Technically the cheapest GTX 1080 right now is $515 with shipping. It's been hard confirmed that RX Vega 64 (the 1080 competitor) will be $499. So technically, it's cheaper... if only just by a few bucks.

Associate
From what I've just skim read still not a lot. There is only specs and prices released which dont look too bad to me, fan boys are ripping it because it doesnt beat a 1080Ti but at no point did anyone expect it to. We'll have to wait longer for reviews and real world performance which is still guess work at this stage.
Wait, so wrinting "poor volta" was just a coincidence? They made it seem like Vega would be the product to actually beat nvidia at the high-end. They kept quiet and kept going on and on about Vega and how awesome it is going to be (check their twitter-feed and presentations). It can't be so difficult for them to reign in the expectations if they notice they are getting way out of line. Also why didn't you expect it to beat the GTX 1080 Ti, or at least be competitive, when their last product - the Fury X had no issues competing with the GTX 980 Ti (didn't beat it, but it was much closer than this)?

Soldato

This.

You gotta be some kind of special moron to buy the water cooled one based on price. Looks like more work went into improving the minimum frame rates rather than maximising the top end performance vs the 1080.

At £400-£500 for the Vega 64 these will sell fine. At £600+ they will not.

Soldato
So whats the bottom line, without the emotion or fanboyism?

Roughly 1080 performance for the 64, 1070 performance for the 56. Price tags are roughly the same, but there are good discounts on specific freesync monitors and on Ryzen bundles.

So in short, by itself it just gives us parity with nvidia (until volta appears), along with some deals if you already wanted a new monitor or were going to build a Ryzen system.

Power draw is on the high side apparently, so if you were looking at nvidia vs amd in this price range, and didn't want a monitor or cpu, then I am struggling to see what their usp will be.

We'll have to wait for benchmarks before we get the whole picture, but that's my interpretation so far

Soldato
Wait, so wrinting "poor volta" was just a coincidence? They made it seem like Vega would be the product to actually beat nvidia at the high-end. They kept quiet and kept going on and on about Vega and how awesome it is going to be (check their twitter-feed and presentations). It can't be so difficult for them to reign in the expectations if they notice they are getting way out of line. Also why didn't you expect it to beat the GTX 1080 Ti, or at least be competitive, when their last product - the Fury X had no issues competing with the GTX 980 Ti (didn't beat it, but it was much closer than this)?

Because as with any hardware launch these days I take anything with a truck load of salt, dont believe anything the marketing depts say, dont believe any hype and certainly dont believe what people post on forums. You cant even really believe reviewers anymore so patience is key, wait for it to be released. To be fair I kind of expected it to be this price and performance because I why wouldn't it, AMD have customers with Freesync screens who want an upgrade and thats who they are targeting so they dont have to beat nvidia and can charge what they want within reason. That is the state of PC gaming today and it will only get worse.

Associate
Because as with any hardware launch these days I take anything with a truck load of salt, dont believe anything the marketing depts say, dont believe any hype and certainly dont believe what people post on forums. You cant even really believe reviewers anymore so patience is key, wait for it to be released. To be fair I kind of expected it to be this price and performance because I why wouldn't it, AMD have customers with Freesync screens who want an upgrade and thats who they are targeting so they dont have to beat nvidia and can charge what they want within reason. That is the state of PC gaming today and it will only get worse.
From Hardwarecanucks:
"I’m going to end this article with a story since I think it is appropriate right now. Back at CES I had the chance to sit down over supper with a long-time ex employee of AMD and RTG. When asked about the long, drawn out release of Vega his simple answer was: There’s two ways to break bad news to someone - either all at once or prepare the person little by little so acceptance comes easier."

Also you didn't explain why it doesn't "suck"? I mean even AMD seems to know that this isn't the GPU that was promised.

Soldato
The good news for people only looking to buy now and in the near future is Fresync and the fact that Vega will have support and driver improvements for years to come. Whereas 1070/80 will likely get no more driver improvements. So if buying now, Vega may even make more sense, but if you have been waiting for over a year for Vega, it is a major let down.

Soon with Volta coming and Vega will be a joke.

Who is now skipping Vega and waiting for Navi? :D

No thanks, I've waited since Polaris rumors to replace my Fury X, which died.

I've just ordered my "Vega replacement kit".

GTX 1080Ti, G-Sync Asus PG348Q.

Every here knows I'm a fan of AMD, and defend them were needed; but I cannot stand by when there's only a 25-31% performance increase at most ( in selected titles ), for a 60% increase in clocks, and two years late.
Then having the nerve to ask for what roughly translate to £600+ for the Vega water cooled card.

An AIB 1080Ti can be had for £690 right now, that's 25-30% faster than that.

Sorry, but no thanks AMD. Especially if you add in no AIB cards for sale any time soon from them as well.

I'm simply done waiting, I want to support them; but not like this.

Associate
No thanks, I've waited since Polaris rumors to replace my Fury X, which died.

I've just ordered my "Vega replacement kit".

GTX 1080Ti, G-Sync Asus PG348Q.

Every here knows I'm a fan of AMD, and defend them were needed; but I cannot stand by when there's only a 25-31% performance increase at most ( in selected titles ), for a 60% increase in clocks, and two years late.
Then having the nerve to ask for what roughly translate to £600+ for the Vega water cooled card.

An AIB 1080Ti can be had for £690 right now, that's 25-30% faster than that.

Sorry, but no thanks AMD. Especially if you add in no AIB cards for sale any time soon from them as well.

I'm simply done waiting, I want to support them; but not like this.
If you take overclocking into account that becomes 50%.

There's a glimmer of hope though: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...in_fact_disabled_for/?st=j5rtlxot&sh=6c48f76b

"As an interesting side-note, it sounds like the pixel engine’s Draw Stream Binning Rasterizer, which we introduced back in January, is currently disabled on Radeon Vega Frontier Edition cards. However, AMD says it’ll be turned on for Radeon Vega RX’s impending launch. Don’t expect any miracles from the feature’s activation. After all, AMD is assuredly projecting performance with DSBR enabled. But a slide of presumably best-case scenarios shows bandwidth savings as high as 30%." So what this means is that we could end up seeing lpwer power consumption when it gets enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom