• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
TBH even if it was priced competitively it would have been a complete fail as last years performance recycled and served up cold (actually very hot and power hungry) was never going to be a major hit even if cheap.

Of course Nvidia could have dropped their prices making a competitive priced vega DOA but to price your mediocre product higher than the superior competition!

Surely they should at least bundle that cube now as some sort of sticking plaster.

Soldato
So all this 4K gaming malarkey. For under $1000?

It's not even a 4K gaming card is it? At least I don't see the 1080 in that way.

Or have I missed something?

Frustrated free-sync owner.

Associate
So, am I right in saying the card I have been waiting for to upgrade from my 4 year old r9-290, is only on par with a 12+ month old gtx 1080, draws far more power from wall and is the same dam price???

wow, well done AMD, well done..

*eyes up 1080's out of spite*

Soldato
If you take overclocking into account that becomes 50%.

There's a glimmer of hope though: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...in_fact_disabled_for/?st=j5rtlxot&sh=6c48f76b

"As an interesting side-note, it sounds like the pixel engine’s Draw Stream Binning Rasterizer, which we introduced back in January, is currently disabled on Radeon Vega Frontier Edition cards. However, AMD says it’ll be turned on for Radeon Vega RX’s impending launch. Don’t expect any miracles from the feature’s activation. After all, AMD is assuredly projecting performance with DSBR enabled. But a slide of presumably best-case scenarios shows bandwidth savings as high as 30%." So what this means is that we could end up seeing lpwer power consumption when it gets enabled.

according to gamers nexus, they have also tightened the AVFS voltages in the launch drivers/bios. Which should help FE cards as well.

It is a little disappointing in terms of launch performance, but I still believe it will increase to the point of being ahead of the 1080 and catching up to stock 1080ti after another month or two.

Associate
This has been a farce as its been a prolonged launch but releasing last year's performance.

Surely only fanboys, those who hate Nvidia or free sync owners will buy this? Same performance for the same price :p.
Problem is freesync is actually a good reason. The pricing of gsync monitors (so when comparing card and monitor together) puts AMD's side significantly cheaper in a few cases. I agree it's not an amazing showing but if you want a good gaming monitor like this one

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...4hz-freesync-with-100-discount-code.18787589/

then unless you can show me a similar priced gsync monitor with the same features it will always make sense for some to stick with AMD. Not to mention we always get this humdrum and humbug act from some but it's just the usual knee jerk reaction that ignores history that AMD tend to come out the gate weak and improve drivers quite well compared to Nvidia over time. I'm not making excuses, it's not the best showing but if I was building a whole system and wanting gsync or freesync I'd be opting for AMD due to the over pricing of Nvidia monitors.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
Jeezes listen to yourselves. The only reason Vega "sucks" is because most of you have gotten into your heads that it would be a 1080ti contender which was never promised.
U w0t m8? Have you been following the thread?

No thanks, I've waited since Polaris rumors to replace my Fury X, which died.

I've just ordered my "Vega replacement kit".

GTX 1080Ti, G-Sync Asus PG348Q.

Every here knows I'm a fan of AMD, and defend them were needed; but I cannot stand by when there's only a 25-31% performance increase at most ( in selected titles ), for a 60% increase in clocks, and two years late.
Then having the nerve to ask for what roughly translate to £600+ for the Vega water cooled card.

An AIB 1080Ti can be had for £690 right now, that's 25-30% faster than that.

Sorry, but no thanks AMD. Especially if you add in no AIB cards for sale any time soon from them as well.

I'm simply done waiting, I want to support them; but not like this.

I do not blame you one bit mate. In your position I would be doing the same thing. At least you gave AMD a chance. But they are taking the biscuit with their pricing for what Vega is. As I said, unless when reviews come out the card is magically better, then I find their pricing insulting personally.

A lot of people waited for Vega and what do we get for our wait? Not even an significant improvement on price for performance :(

Soldato
according to gamers nexus, they have also tightened the AVFS voltages in the launch drivers/bios. Which should help FE cards as well.

It is a little disappointing in terms of launch performance, but I still believe it will increase to the point of being ahead of the 1080 and catching up to stock 1080ti after another month or two.

As much as I like AMD, that's too far off. Given the price, performance, and power at launch the card isn't very compelling at all.

My freesync monitor will be a secondary one now until Navi likely.

U w0t m8? Have you been following the thread?

I do not blame you one bit mate. In your position I would be doing the same thing. At least you gave AMD a chance. But they are taking the biscuit with their pricing for what Vega is. As I said, unless when reviews come out the card is magically better, then I find their pricing insulting personally.

A lot of people waited for Vega and what do we get for our wait? Not even an significant improvement on price for performance :(

Aye, the performance would have been fine for me if they were in stores this week, and were priced better.

Looking objectively at it the top Vega cardboard just doesn't compete well on pice to performance.

Associate
The good news for people only looking to buy now and in the near future is Fresync and the fact that Vega will have support and driver improvements for years to come. Whereas 1070/80 will likely get no more driver improvements. So if buying now, Vega may even make more sense, but if you have been waiting for over a year for Vega, it is a major let down.

Soon with Volta coming and Vega will be a joke.

Who is now skipping Vega and waiting for Navi? :D
Bring it in for the real thing my friend *hug* :)

I feel the pain for all concerned.

Permabanned
Its not the same thing.. Radeon settings does not alter game settings only driver profiles for that game. Raptr as i said was an AMD partner but clearly isnt anymore but it might still have the functionality it used to have which was to set game settings based on your hardware.

Good to know, As mentioned I wasn't 100% sure and couldn't check as currently using an Nvidia card, Thank's for the correction. :)

hope they revive this project and release it themself instead of relying on Oems..

Now they have a cpu for it they might, I think the original prototype had an Intel 4790k in it.

Soldato
Problem is freesync is actually a good reason. The pricing of gsync monitors (so when comparing card and monitor together) puts AMD's side significantly cheaper in a few cases. I agree it's not an amazing showing but if you want a good gaming monitor like this one

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...4hz-freesync-with-100-discount-code.18787589/

then unless you can show me a similar priced gsync monitor with the same features it will always make sense for some to stick with AMD. Not to mention we always get this humdrum and humbug act from some but it's just the usual knee jerk reaction that ignores history that AMD tend to come out the gate weak and improve drivers quite well compared to Nvidia over time. I'm not making excuses, it's not the best showing but if I was building a whole system and wanting gsync or freesync I'd be opting for AMD due to the over pricing of Nvidia monitors.

Thing is, a monitor isnt a regular upgrade item like a gpu, so a lot of people arent going to be looking at it purely from a GPU+monitor now perspective, a monitor lasts several upgrade cycles, so if nvidia have been the consistent performance and price/performance winner for a couple of generations already, the extra for the monitor now is offset by AMD charging silly prices for underperforming hardware on a yearly basis.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
TBH even if it was priced competitively it would have been a complete fail as last years performance recycled and served up cold (actually very hot and power hungry) was never going to be a major hit even if cheap.

Of course Nvidia could have dropped their prices making a competitive priced vega DOA but to price your mediocre product higher than the superior competition!

Surely they should at least bundle that cube now as some sort of sticking plaster.

I disagree. If they got pricing right, it would have easily been a success. Even if Nvidia dropped the price people who waited would have still been happy that AMD improved price for performance for everyone. Freesync owners would be very happy. Die hard fans like shankly would be happy, not disappointed, talking about die hard fans, AMD even managed to scare some of them away as I have not seen flopper in a long time. Lol :D

If the water cooled card was £499 I would be pre-ordering and signing AMD's praises right now instead of feeling let down and slating them. Price makes a huge difference to whether a card is perceived successful or not imo.

Thing is, a monitor isnt a regular upgrade item like a gpu, so a lot of people arent going to be looking at it purely from a GPU+monitor now perspective, a monitor lasts several upgrade cycles, so if nvidia have been the consistent performance and price/performance winner for a couple of generations already, the extra for the monitor now is offset by AMD charging silly prices for underperforming hardware on a yearly basis.
Don't always agree with what you say, but you got this one spot on :)

Soldato
Actually, looking into things a bit more....I'm quite interested to see how the Vega 56 benches.

Power consumption is sensible. It should be around 400 EUR retail. GTX 1080 is still 600 EUR so if it can get within spitting distance with real-world benches and good DX12 performance, they may have a sale here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom