• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

@Gibbo - Vega Preorders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Delaying the launch because of mining just doesn't make sense to me, as at the end of the day, they need market share, and selling thousands of cards to miners, will get them that.
They're either lying or stupid. Miners aren't going to be interested in a card with lower price/performance/powerdraw ratios than Nvidia cards.

Permabanned
Delaying the launch because of mining just doesn't make sense to me, as at the end of the day, they need market share, and selling thousands of cards to miners, will get them that.

Sales yes but not gaming market share, Mining has both a positive and negative effect. Positive for the sales but negative because most people just see extortionate prices and a lack of stock so they still go Nvidia and AMD's influence on games and their developers remains low.

Soldato
And you know the performance of the Vega how?
flat_800x800_075_f.u2.jpg

Vega FE launched over a month ago, it has the mining performance of a GTX1070 (plus >double the price and power consumption). The Vega 64 gaming card is not going to be better at compute than the compute card, when it's the same card with lower clocks and different drivers, that is simply not possible. Miner still wont want it unless it's sub £300 and that's not going to happen.

Associate
flat_800x800_075_f.u2.jpg

Vega FE launched over a month ago, it has the mining performance of a GTX1070 (plus >double the price and power consumption). The Vega 64 gaming card is not going to be better at compute than the compute card, when it's the same card with lower clocks and different drivers, that is simply not possible. Miner still wont want it unless it's sub £300 and that's not going to happen.

It also has virtually no power optimisation, immature drivers (mining doesn't address pro drivers, it addresses gaming ones mostly), no custom BIOSes, no miners optimised for the new architecture, and a new mining ISA (which I think simulates FP64 with FP32?) coming soon ... I highly doubt that miners won't buy as many as they can.

I suspect with the new ISA and undervolting, it will offer performance better than or equal to Polaris.

Soldato
I suspect with the new ISA and undervolting, it will offer performance better than or equal to Polaris.
Even if it did somehow receive an unheard of level of performance boost, it isn't going to magically halve it's power consumption at the same time is it.

These cards are about as anticipated in mining circles as they are in North Korea. There isn't going to be any shortage due to miners.

Caporegime
Sales yes but not gaming market share, Mining has both a positive and negative effect. Positive for the sales but negative because most people just see extortionate prices and a lack of stock so they still go Nvidia and AMD's influence on games and their developers remains low.

End of the day, its how many cards you sell, not what they are used for, if hardly anyones buying a Nvidia card, because everyones just buying AMDs up in their thousands for mining, its still going to drop their market share, and take away their dominance.

They're just missing out on a chance to crumble Nvidias market share, and rocket their own, they could end up on 70%, with Nvidia only on 30%, would do them wonders, devs would start using their stuff, and gamers would see that, pushing them to buy their card as well over Nvidias, so not just the miners buying them up, selling to miners, would help them massively.

Last edited:
Associate
Even if it did somehow receive an unheard of level of performance boost, it isn't going to magically halve it's power consumption at the same time is it.

These cards are about as anticipated in mining circles as they are in North Korea. There isn't going to be any shortage due to miners.

You completely ignored the first part of my statement - on purpose of course.

Clue for you. They wouldn't bother to release a mining ISA for Vega if miners weren't likely to be interested. They're not fanbois, they're interested in ROI.

Soldato
End of the day, its how many cards you sell, not what they are used for, if hardly anyones buying a Nvidia card, because everyones just buying AMDs up in their thousands for mining, its still going to drop their market share, and take away their dominance.

They're just missing out on a chance to crumble Nvidias market share, and rocket their own, they want to push new things etc..., they've got the chance here, why not bloody take it!.

Developers will develop for the cards their customers have. Developers can easily inject code (particularly easy for games that have an online component) and see what their customers are using. If less and less people are using AMD cards for gaming they will spend less time supporting them. So yes its great for AMD's bottom line, its potentially less good for AMD's gaming customers if all the cards are being bought up by miners.

AMD gaining market share overall isnt going to affect nvidia's dominance in game dev support if those cards arent being used for gaming.

Soldato
And you know the performance of the Vega how?
Well AMD's own slides (as muddy as they were) showed very similar pe formance to a 1080. Of course these were cherry picked dx12 benchmarks so I would expect independent testing to show less performance.

However if you want to base your performance on AMD's slides then 1080 it is.

Soldato

I don't know what the performance of RX Vega is going to be like for mining, I hope it sucks so that prices don't sky rocket. But, there are miners who live in areas with very cheap electricity and some who don't pay any electricity. Power consumption will not be a problem for them and they will only be looking at the hash rate.

And I do remember a post about someone under volting Vega FE by quite a bit and still getting decent performance out of it.

I just think it's too early to tell for sure.

Soldato
It also has virtually no power optimisation, immature drivers (mining doesn't address pro drivers, it addresses gaming ones mostly), no custom BIOSes, no miners optimised for the new architecture, and a new mining ISA (which I think simulates FP64 with FP32?) coming soon ... I highly doubt that miners won't buy as many as they can.

^^ All of this. Plus certain algorithms, say DaggerHashimoto (Ethereum uses this) are heavily memory dependent - which is why you see almost every miner on Ethereum boosting the mem clocks and dropping the power limit to 50-60%. The Fury X was decent at it, I was getting ~33MH/s when I tested it, but that was on an older mining program so expect gains just from upgrading to Claymore 9.7 (I tried it on 9.5) and this was stock clocks. With some tweaking the Fury was probably a monster. I can see Vega having similarly good mining results, just give the community a few weeks/months with it to tweak settings, find best drivers, optimise mining software - HBM2 should be nothing but good news for memory heavy algorithms. I won't be adding any vegas to my mining pool, frankly because I'm not investing any more into mining - but I can see them being good cards for it down the line (Vega 56 most likely).

Associate

didnt nvidia drivers boost workloads of the XP by quite a bit, so its not out of the realm of possibility anyway, regarding power... it didnt stop them buying 2/390x and mining with them

Permabanned

They're just missing out on a chance to crumble Nvidias market share, and rocket their own, they could end up on 70%, with Nvidia only on 30%, would do them wonders, devs would start using their stuff, and gamers would see that, pushing them to buy their card as well over Nvidias, so not just the miners buying them up, selling to miners, would help them massively.

What Market share do you mean? I'm saying if loads of AMD cards are bought for mining it's not the same market so those sales won't help AMD's position in the gaming market. They may get short term sale boosts due to mining trends but when cards are not selling to miner's they find themselves back in the same position of having the minority share in gaming circles. Now if they can use some of the money made from the mining sales to increase the development budget that'll be good news in a couple of years time..

Associate
Anyone seen any news about if the 14th will be the proper launch (stock and shipping) or will it be fully pre orders and units shipping out days / weeks later?

Soldato
didnt nvidia drivers boost workloads of the XP by quite a bit
No, they unlocked previously locked functionality reserved for Quadro cards in order to let the XP compete better with Vega in compute tasks.

it didnt stop them buying 2/390x and mining with them
True but at the time that was a good deal, you couldn't buy an equally performing card for the same money that used half the power.

Let's play a game. How many times does the user 'ubersonic' decide to post his feelings on Vega in the preorder thread?
That's not me posting my "feelings", it's me correcting (different) people who repeatedly post the same misinformation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom