Just purchased my first 3DS What games shall I get?

Soldato
I've never owned a 3DS (my last handheld console was a PSP) but thought I might as well get a cheap one second hand and go through all the good games that have come out over the years. What does everyone recommend?

Associate
These are the only 3DS games that I played for more than a few hours:

Zelda Ocarina of Time
Mario Kart 7
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars

Other games on the system don't seem to hold my attention very well...

Associate
Pokemon Sun/Moon Story took me about 40hrs. Excellent value for money imo.

Ultra Sun/Moon out in November too which is the refresh version, where the timeline and story has changed and they add in Pokemon not seen in the normal version.

Shawrey

Soldato
Games are tied to the handheld itself so if you had one before you need to ring Nintendo to swap license over and give serial details for each unit.

I could be wrong but I'm sure that's how it's done.

Soldato
Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Majora's mask
Star Fox
Super Mario 3D Land
"New" Super Mario Bros 2
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

Haven't been a fan of the recent Pokémon Releases, even the Ruby/Sapphire remakes wasn't particularly fussed, so might be worth revisiting the older games off the virtual console.

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys, all the games I was looking at have been mentioned :)

Another question - does anyone know where I can get a new Battery for a New3DS ? The battery in this one works fine but is a bit swollen and pushes the backplate out by about 1mm so it's slightly worrying me

Soldato
Associate
Any Monster Hunter game (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate/Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate recommended for newcomers/solo players).
Any Pokemon game (Pokemon OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire recommended, most content and best mechanics).
Any Fire Emblem game (Fire Emblem Awakening recommended to start)
Bravely Default (a traditional turn-based rpg)
Zelda A Link Between Worlds (other 3DS Zelda games are just remakes, this one is brand new made for the 3DS)

And I'd even suggest looking into the world of homebrew/custom firmware. Let's you do all sorts of cool things on the 3DS one never thought possible. Like using a normal controller connected to PC to play on your 3DS (makes games like Smash Bros and Monster Hunter more playable) or being able to stream the video output to a bigger screen (for livestreaming or playing on a bigger screen, used to require sending the 3DS off for a hardware mod and paying hundreds of quid).

Soldato
I'm the same as I haven't owned a Nintendo portable since the DS lite. Tempted to pick up one of the new 2DS XL's.

I already have a switch but I don't really find it works well as a portable console. It's too big to carry around in a pocket and the battery life isn't great. I'm sure we'll see a switch lite refresh in a couple of years time which will improve it in the regard though.

The games I wanted to get are :-

Zelda link to the past
All the fire emblem series
Bravely default
xenoblade chronicles

The new 2D mertroid title looks awesome aswell. I'd probably give the Pokémon games a shot as well since I've never really got into them.

Has anyone got the new 2DS XL and would you recommend it?

Soldato
Fire Emblem Awakening
Xenoblade Chronicles

Both fantastic games and also great time sinks, played through both games mainly on commutes and they were both great for that!

Soldato
I recommend Monster Hunter Generations, it's pretty awesome.

Be sure to get some grips as well, the 3DS is quite hard on the hands especially if you have big ones.

Soldato
Be sure to get some grips as well, the 3DS is quite hard on the hands especially if you have big ones.
That's primarily what made me give up on the whole gameboy/DS lineup a few years ago as I found playing for longer than 15 mins gave me really bad cramp in my hands! I wondered if I might fare better with the XL line though grips could also be a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom