Poll: How do you pay for holidays?

How do yoy pay for your holidays

• Save up before and pay in full (cash/direct debit/debit card)

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • Credit Card - Pay off in full immediately

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • Credit Card - Pay deposit and pay off remainder by other means

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Credit Card - Pay in installments (interest free0

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Credit Card - Pay in installments (with interest)

• Loan

• Other interest free repayment option

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
Consigliere
Random question i know but i trust you lot as being sensible, knowledgeable and generally full of life experience across all ages and careers.

So a bizaare question really...it has been inspired simply by myself trying to look after my money more but do you...

1) Use a credit card and pay it back month by month
2) Save fully and pay off in full
3) Other? :p

Always hear of people going on holiday in the same pay bracket and i just wonder how they can afford their trips to Ibiza and Bali? :o :p

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Save. Usually go on cheaper holidays that can be paid in a couple of months spare cash. Good old budget airlines.

Caporegime
Depends how much, if it's a few hundred quid then whenever, it's within the monthly disposable.

If it's a few thousand then save up for it, holidays like that require more advance planning anyway. Like I would go to Copenhagen for the weekend but can't exactly go to Sydney for the weekend, you would want to spend at least 2 weeks there after going all that way. So with that, you have lots of time to save up for it, even after booking the plane ticket.

I always tend to put whatever I am buying, through credit card. But I never book through a travel agent, always book direct.

Soldato
These days I tend to stay local in NZ due to the incredible flight times getting anywhere interesting. But should I book flights, it's on the girlfriend's credit card and pay it off immediately

Soldato
due to the nature of my holidays from work, I save then book last minute. A colleague packs his bags and heads to the airport and just asks what's available. never fussed where as long as its hot and all inclusive.

Soldato
In my opinion if you are putting such large costs for a holiday on credit card and then paying it off so slowly to the point you're incurring interest you can't really afford it.

You get quite heavy surcharges on credit card as well, especially for flights.

In my earlier days I used to buy flights first (always with debit) and then on the next pay day book the hotel, then the following month would book car rental, etc, etc. I'd take a credit card with me if I wanted to limit holding cash and also for emergencies.

Last edited:
Soldato
Random question i know but i trust you lot as being sensible, knowledgeable and generally full of life experience across all ages and careers.

So a bizaare question really...it has been inspired simply by myself trying to look after my money more but do you...

1) Use a credit card and pay it back month by month
2) Save fully and pay off in full
3) Other? :p

Always hear of people going on holiday in the same pay bracket and i just wonder how they can afford their trips to Ibiza and Bali? :o :p

Other - Butlins do an easy payment option.

So last week I booked next years butlins break for same time next year. Its Just over £500 quid. Costing me £51 quid a month for 10 months. Yes could put it on the CC, but then id have to pay interest.

Back
Top Bottom