• Space Grey 256GB

Votes: 98 18.4%
  • I want one but it's too expensive

Votes: 125 23.5%
  • I'm not interested

Votes: 190 35.7%

• Total voters
Associate
Ahh the iPhone X.. Apples Titan. wonder why it took them so long to turn the fleece mode up to 11.

There was one report out there stating apples margin isn't higher on the iPhone x because Apparently Samsung are charging apple through the nose for that oled display as no one else could offer a similar display with the capacity Needs for an iPhone.

Associate
I was so hyped for this iphone x. I gathered it was going to be over a grand. I would have paid it if it was something new. It just feels like a slightly faster "iphone" with a bigger screen to me.

Sure wireless charging is ok but it's not going to be a hit until later itterations of it. Not a fan of the facial rec either. It just feels like phone comapnies are out of new ideas.

So i guess the next thing is going to be watch/phones now that we have the watch 3. Maybe in 10 years time phone watches will be common place.. I just don't want to look a tool by talking into my wrist lol.

Associate
There was one report out there stating apples margin isn't higher on the iPhone x because Apparently Samsung are charging apple through the nose for that oled display as no one else could offer a similar display with the capacity Needs for an iPhone.

Yeah I have heard this. Apple are building a new plant for LG to produce screens. From what i read it wont be up and running until next year.

Soldato
My iPhone 6 is starting to get fading around the end he of the screen slightly and the mute/silent switch is kinda broken.

Had it since release day, so 3 years old now, so good innings.

Soldato
I have a 6S+ 128GB. I've had it since release and it's been a fine work horse.

I'll either get an X 256GB or 8+ 256GB. I'll sell my 6S+ and offset it against the new phone. I have a plusnet sim free only so buy phones outright.

Caporegime
Now I can unlock your phone!

giphy.webp

Caporegime
I am an Apple fan, MASSIVE one. I have had iPhones for 10 years, Apple TV, iPods, MBP, iMacs, iPads, the lot pretty much but there is a point where I am thinking….the competition has caught up now to a point where I can't really justify the price difference. Before the gap was quite big and the experience is what kept me in and at the moment…..I am going to dip my toes into Android to check out the competition, see how close they are and if they are really that far behind and if the iPhone really worth the extra £800….

Caporegime
How do they arrive at the £1149 price tag ?
Even adding 20% vat to the US price it still only comes to £1037.

It's the £100 non US tax it appears. Just checked the prices over here and there's a very similar difference in price to the UK. That's different in itself to previously where products have been basically the same price here as the US.

Odd!

Man of Honour
OP
I am an Apple fan, MASSIVE one. I have had iPhones for 10 years, Apple TV, iPods, MBP, iMacs, iPads, the lot pretty much but there is a point where I am thinking….the competition has caught up now to a point where I can't really justify the price difference. Before the gap was quite big and the experience is what kept me in and at the moment…..I am going to dip my toes into Android to check out the competition, see how close they are and if they are really that far behind and if the iPhone really worth the extra £800….

I'm sort of stuck on it. Literally everyone I know uses iMessage extensively, I like everything backed up to iCloud (but that costs me too), Android is still fragmented and annoys me, as would Samsung's bloatware, and the iOS apps are still a class above the rest.

Hard to argue a 64GB iPhone X at probably over £70 a month on a standard contract is more than twice as good as an S8 at £30 a month though...

Associate
Seems to work ok (1 min 30 in)

Thanks for that but now this has identified other serious flaws with a face only unlocking system...

Anyone in your home will be able to nab your phone and point it towards you and have full access to your phone.

Also what if you just want to check your notifications or the time ,it's going to unlock your phone every time you just glance at your phone and will pose another security problem.

It's interesting as a choice but not at a mandatory level.

The problem can be alleviated with Touch ID built in under the screen and we know Android flagships next year will have it but what are the chances of apple putting Touch ID back into the iPhone after removing it...seems very unlikely to me?

Soldato
It's the £100 non US tax it appears. Just checked the prices over here and there's a very similar difference in price to the UK. That's different in itself to previously where products have been basically the same price here as the US.

Odd!

They used Brexit and the changing market rates as the reason to essentially use £/$ parity, it really shouldn't be the case as I guarantee you when we return to $1.40 it will still be £/$ parity on these products.

Caporegime
I'm sort of stuck on it. Literally everyone I know uses iMessage extensively, I like everything backed up to iCloud (but that costs me too), Android is still fragmented and annoys me, as would Samsung's bloatware, and the iOS apps are still a class above the rest.

Hard to argue a 64GB iPhone X at probably over £70 a month on a standard contract is more than twice as good as an S8 at £30 a month though...

I too am on iCloud, also have all my passwords, bookmarks, even photos synced. For example, one thing I do right now is post photos on my instagram account, because the way Instagram works, you can only upload from a mobile device, I drag an drop my photo into iPhoto, which automatically appears in my Photo in the phone instantly. Then I upload to Instagram.

I have to figure out how I can do a similar thing to an Android Phone…from my iMac.

I also have to figure out may be how to use Google Drive or Dropbox in place of iCloud. I have a 1TB storage on Dropbox so in that regard, cloud storage I am sorted.

Music I just use Amazon Prime Music so no problem there. iMessage I wouldn't know because I don't text that much, can possibly replace it with WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger.

The Plus thing with the phone I just ordered uses basically a stock Android OS so minimal bloat.

Back
Top Bottom