Password Manager Recommendations

Soldato
I bet most people spend more at Starbucks or Costa in a year than they do on someone as important as a password manager.

Amuses me on a forum where people will spend £500+ on a video card that they will release in a year or so they begrudge spending £20 a year on securing all their online accounts.

Soldato
Why isn't everyone using keepass? It's free, open source, and encrypts the database file to silly levels, I just then keep the file in my Dropbox to use on all devices.

No way anyone is decrypting a file with 99999999 levels of encryption

Soldato
Also if any companies go under and pull password software you loose your passwords... As unlikely as that is, but possible.

I keep my database and a copy of keepass on a USB drive in my safe as a backup.

Soldato
I'm surprised that Last Pass moved their cross device support in to their free version. I've cancelled my premium and will continue with them.

Associate
Why isn't everyone using keepass? It's free, open source, and encrypts the database file to silly levels, I just then keep the file in my Dropbox to use on all devices.

No way anyone is decrypting a file with 99999999 levels of encryption
The danger is when you extract the password to inject it into the application you want to authenticate to. Keepass doesn't have any first party browser extensions so you have to either manually copy/paste the password or rely on a third party browser extension of unknown provenance which might have some of the same issues that LastPass has.

Soldato
The danger is when you extract the password to inject it into the application you want to authenticate to. Keepass doesn't have any first party browser extensions so you have to either manually copy/paste the password or rely on a third party browser extension of unknown provenance which might have some of the same issues that LastPass has.

Yeah but copy pasta is reasonably ok, and keepass wipes the clipboard after 12 seconds, not ideal, not bad though.

Soldato
My main issue with Keypass is you have to trust multiple different developers to keep their software updated over multiple devices.

I use Windows, Mac OS and iOS, 1Password has 1st party apps on all OS’s they are kept up to date and quickly fixed when OS changes happen.

Soldato
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what happens if all of a sudden LastPass dissapear? How do you access your passwords and thus access all of your accounts?

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what happens if all of a sudden LastPass dissapear? How do you access your passwords and thus access all of your accounts?

You should be taking a backup of your passwords on a regular basis, along with the rest of your important data.

Soldato
Without a backup it wouldn't be the end of days, you'd have to manually reset passwords on sites you use.

Been using Lastpass for 4 month or so now and had 0 issues with it on the free version.

Man of Honour
I'm surprised that Last Pass moved their cross device support in to their free version. I've cancelled my premium and will continue with them.
Yeah same here, for most users the free option provides more than enough functionality. I actually only paid for it initially for the cross device support, but have now gone free.

Associate

I theory you would be OK...

Your data is encrypted and decrypted on your machine before it is sent to Lastpass so as long as you were logging in to a machine which had already been logged in to Lastpass it should be OK, that is assuming that the data is still stored there of course. At any rate just keep a back up just in case.

Stoner81.

Soldato
Just to update, I've been using Dashlane for the best part of a year and I must say I am really impressed with it.

It's running on multiple computers, two tablets and two mobiles, all work very well. I think it works out at £40 ish per year but I was getting pretty bogged down in the ~250 passwords I had to remember. Auto change feature is fantastic and definitely been some good work on the mobile app in the past month or two and works way better than it did initially.

Back
Top Bottom