Am I at Fault or the Lorry Driver

Soldato
A couple of things:

• No apparent lanes on the roundabout. As such, lorry will take easiest route for him.
  • He indicates (correctly)
  • Really, you should be giving him room instead of going up the inside (since there are no lanes)
  • You were on the correct side for your turning, even though there aren’t any lanes
I think it’s a case of learn from your mistakes, as the situation should have been approached more cautiously

Don
So even if you agree the lorry was in the wrong place, you just can't assume he's turning right and put yourself and others in danger by jamming it up the inside. It's obvious as soon as the lorry starts leaving the roundabout, there's no room, safety, visibility or lane markings to indicate it's a good idea to try and undertake on the exit.
Indeed, but that doesn't absolve other road users of blame completely when they approach on the right, indicating right!

Soldato
I would say it's a bit of blame on both sides, lorry should have indicated and made his intentions a bit clearer, but I think you should have left more room, lorries tend to take that line across roundabouts as it's not as tight for them. I always stay behind them until it's 100% certain where they are going or there is a gap that isn't going to close.

This lorry driver was just being lazy and rushing about, no need for him to take that line across this roundabout in a truck that size. That being said, he did signal his intentions correctly and even with a rigid it's very bad form from the OP to come up the inside of a lorry on a roundabout, there are no road markings to imply that there are 2 lanes on this roundabout so I would say the blame lies with the OP.

Edit: Just watched again and he's definitely indicating right to begin with but he's still on a single lane roundabout so you shouldn't have tried to rush up his inside. Indicators do not instantly pass blame if they are wrong. The best way to think of indicators and blame is if you're coming out of a T-Junction, a car from the right is indicating left and you pull out but he goes straight into you - That's your fault.

Permabanned
Lorry's fault as far as I can see... both indication and road positioning suggested right turn to other road users. Despite no markings, 100% driving instructors will tell you to treat that as 2 lanes because it's more than wide enough. When no markings, you should treat it as per highway code = left lane left & straight, right lane = right and 360.

If you send that to the police, the driver will get a report of driving without due care and attention or at least sent on a driver awareness court which will mean the insurance company would see you as not at fault. I've been on the receiving end of something similar and that's what happened.

Send video to the lorry company, informing them that you will be sending the video to the police. Send the video to the police. You'll get your car fixed.

Soldato

Slightly different scenario though? This rounabout is connecting dual carriageways and so should clearly be treated as a two-birth road otherwise traffic from one of the lanes would need to disappear from existence. The original question is a single carriageway, entering into a roundabout with no markings to imply that it is designed to operate as otherwise.

Don
Slightly different scenario though? This rounabout is connecting dual carriageways and so should clearly be treated as a two-birth road otherwise traffic from one of the lanes would need to disappear from existence. The original question is a single carriageway, entering into a roundabout with no markings to imply that it is designed to operate as otherwise.
It's a single lane roundabout though? crinkleshoes is right, it's absolutely basic driving standards that you would treat that as a two lane roundabout because of it's size. For me it looks like the lorry driver is one this new breed of numpties that indicates right, even when only taking the 2nd exit.

But

It in no way absolves the op of blame as it is still a truck that you should be wary off and he had plenty of opportunity to back off and avoid a collision in my opinion.

Caporegime
Defensive driving is about avoiding this sort of issue on the first place regardless of blame.

Just looks generally crap driving with a lack of observation. There is a point when it was clear the lorry might exit the roundabout and instead of braking the OP accelerated.

Permabanned
It's a single lane roundabout though? crinkleshoes is right, it's absolutely basic driving standards that you would treat that as a two lane roundabout because of it's size. For me it looks like the lorry driver is one this new breed of numpties that indicates right, even when only taking the 2nd exit.

But

It in no way absolves the op of blame as it is still a truck that you should be wary off and he had plenty of opportunity to back off and avoid a collision in my opinion.

Note: if driver is German/Swiss/maybe some other nationality... it's normal to indicate right if you're taking anything other than the first exit... doesn't make it right to do it in this country, just FYI.

Soldato
Defensive driving is about avoiding this sort of issue on the first place regardless of blame.

Just looks generally crap driving with a lack of observation. There is a point when it was clear the lorry might exit the roundabout and instead of braking the OP accelerated.

Yeah, OP decided that he wanted to undertake the lorry. Looked like he was itching to do it into the roundabout, going around the roundabout, and went for it on the way out. As soon as the lorry starts leaving the roundabout (knowing how lorries take that wide line out and then back into corners), at that point OP should have re-assessed and backed out. I think he had a mindset of just looking for the smallest chance to go for it up the inside, and went for it when the opportunity wasn't really there. Possibly he got impatient even though it was only a few seconds.

Permabanned
Yeah, OP decided that he wanted to undertake the lorry. Looked like he was itching to do it into the roundabout, going around the roundabout, and went for it on the way out. As soon as the lorry starts leaving the roundabout (knowing how lorries take that wide line out and then back into corners), at that point OP should have re-assessed and backed out. I think he had a mindset of just looking for the smallest chance to go for it up the inside, and went for it when the opportunity wasn't really there. Possibly he got impatient even though it was only a few seconds.

That's not "undertaking"... that's proceeding with the flow of traffic and continuing as per both road positioning and indication from the other road users... both police and insurance will side with OP. I know for sure because I've had the same happen to me.

Caporegime
It’s hardly a ‘flow’ of traffic when they are going different speeds.

I have no idea how anyone thinks it was the lorry drivers fault. Indicators don’t mean anything, as said earlier if you pull out on a car indicating left but goes straight on it is your fault. Regardless of indicator.

Indicators mean the bulb is working...

Permabanned
It’s hardly a ‘flow’ of traffic when they are going different speeds.

I have no idea how anyone thinks it was the lorry drivers fault. Indicators don’t mean anything, as said earlier if you pull out on a car indicating left but goes straight on it is your fault. Regardless of indicator.

Indicators mean the bulb is working...

Indicators mean someone turned them on... try that argument with your insurance company... please... it will be hilarious.

Caporegime
There have been enough cases that have set a precedent about this. People should drive using awareness and road positioning not blindly assuming indicators are 100% correct.

There’s no point being right if you are dead.

Man of Honour
There have been enough cases that have set a precedent about this. People should drive using awareness and road positioning not blindly assuming indicators are 100% correct.

There’s no point being right if you are dead.

I wrote this last week somewhere else about the case of cyclist killing woman, but it does bare quoting here before we get into pages of people focusing on the minuscule elements of law...

When you read the judges statement you see a common theme that seems to prevalent in the minds of people using roads, be they in car or on bike. It was the other persons fault, so if we crash so be it, but I was right. I simply can not comprehend that mindset and it is even more reprehensible when it involves the injury of another person or even damage to property that could be avoided, even if it was 100% the other persons fault.

Soldato
Indicators mean someone turned them on... try that argument with your insurance company... please... it will be hilarious.

Been there got the T shirt in court. Other driver who pulled out in front of me with my indicator flashing but I didn’t turn was apportioned 75% of the blame.

It’s the two insurance companies that matter, your insurance company would always act in your best interest anyway.

Back
Top Bottom