Smart Meter installation warning!

RJC

RJC

Don
I got my letter a few months back, was looking at getting this installed as the current one could be the original - don't recall it ever being changed.

The Gas meter was done in early 90's.

Caporegime
Yeah the whole IoT industry is a disaster regarding security - lots of manufacturers of appliances trying to jump on the IoT train by purchasing modules from China and spending the barest minimum of time altering the examples given in the SDKs, performing no real audit on the code, and then throwing it into the market. Internet-enabling a device definitely shortens the usable lifespan.

This was the most eye-opening recent example for me, and demonstrates the problems with companies that aren't software developers getting in on the IoT hype https://www.pentestpartners.com/security-blog/iot-aga-cast-iron-security-flaw/

Associate
Incorrect. Older ones had issues, newer ones done. The one OVO installed for me as an IMPORT and EXPORT register, and accurately counts both.

Well a couple of weeks ago I got a marketing phone call from British Gas (who I'm with) regarding smart meters. Just about to sign up and I mentioned I had solar panels and they said the smart meters weren't compatible.

Soldato
Incorrect. Older ones had issues, newer ones done. The one OVO installed for me as an IMPORT and EXPORT register, and accurately counts both.
OVO is a green energy supplier, it makes sense they would use ones that work with solar panels. Normal suppliers just use standard less expensive smart meters.

Associate
Has anyone considered the legality of our gas and electric meters. say you are a pub landlord decanting spirit or a shop keeper using a weighing scale, there is a legal requirement for your equipment to be annually calibrated and are governed by weights and measures law. When is the last time your energy meters were checked, has anyone requested having a meter checked - it end up a total ball ache. How do the fuel companies get away with it.
I know this is an old-ish thread but they can get away without annual calibration it because the old mechanical meters have to have a certified accuracy over a number of years from the manufacturers. As for smart meters, neither the electricity or gas meters have any moving parts in them which also applies to any of the current electronic non-smart meters.

I had an issue with my IHD losing suddenly losing connection to the meter with the "Lost network to meter ..." message despite having a decent wifi signal. The communication hub had a solid green WAN and flashing green HAN lights so I called BG think it was an issue with the IHD. It appears this message is nothing to do with the connection between the IHD and the meter but because the WAN had lost it's data connection due to Vodafone having an outage in my area that was affecting data traffic for a few hours. Without the data connection it stops updating the IHD which also explains why it becomes useless if you switch suppliers.

Soldato
Had ours installed 2 weeks ago now. I don't see the issue with them personally, seems to work fine at the moment!

I was more concerned about the recent watchdog events and the engineers leaving cables loose - wanted to pop mine off to check but don't want to break the seal.

Soldato
Just had ours done - Not BG and was talking to the engineer, seems that when you switch supplier that they replace the meter lol.. so at some point they will end up being ticked off by the government..

Soldato
I was umming and erring about the offering for First Utility to fit me a smart meter, but given the comments in this thread, I think I'll wait...

It's a hassle to obviously look under the stairs every couple of months, but I think it might be the lesser hassle... :)

Caporegime
Scottish Power are currently sending me letters and emails moaning about needing to install a smart meter at my house. I've dutifully called their number and no one ever answers. I filled out a request on their website saying "call me, dumbass" but they've not got round to it yet. Reading the articles, maybe I'm dodging a bullet not getting it done just yet.

As for the issues with meter readings and new meters, here's my tale of woe from a few years back.., I've posted this before so I've dredged up one of my old posts to repost here...

Vonhelmet said:
When my wife and I were in our first house, we had LondonEnergy break into our house while we were out and swap our meter out for a pre-pay one (that robbed about a third of the credit from each card to recover past debts) because the previous tenant had skipped out on about £600 of charges. They attempted to drill the front door lock, and broke it, then they got in through the back somehow.

So, that was fun. Our landlord was livid.

The fun didn't stop there, as once we got them to replace the meter, they didn't believe the meter readings that we gave them as they said that our meter readings couldn't possibly be 100odd as the previous reading was 60,000odd... On the old meter... which they replaced with their pre-pay one... and then with another regular one.

Anyway. The only people they listened to were Energywatch, the independent regulator.

Soldato
EDF kept calling me for days and without leaving a message and finally I managed to catch them. Tried to get me to have this done stating they only have slots left over two days but told them "no thanks". Don't know enough about it but know about some of the projects going on around it (lots of £££ spent). Don't be fooled into thinking this is free, we're all paying for it really.

Sounds to me like it could cause hassles and that I do not want.

Soldato
Got them installed on Monday. Glad because it highlighted we had a gas leak! Would have been picked up at boiler service in a month but good to find now. Turned out to be very simple, oven connection!

The meter itself is good, I like that it has loads of data and comfort that it reflects usage. Also that payments are actual

Caporegime
Got them installed on Monday. Glad because it highlighted we had a gas leak! Would have been picked up at boiler service in a month but good to find now. Turned out to be very simple, oven connection!

The meter itself is good, I like that it has loads of data and comfort that it reflects usage. Also that payments are actual
How did you not smell a gas leak in the house?

Soldato
Caporegime
Ugh got a letter today saying that our electric meter needs replacing because it's very old etc blah etc.

Was really hoping to hold off getting one of the current gen meters. Guess we'll get them to do the gas meter at the same time.

Soldato
Ugh got a letter today saying that our electric meter needs replacing because it's very old etc blah etc.

Was really hoping to hold off getting one of the current gen meters. Guess we'll get them to do the gas meter at the same time.

I wouldn't fret too much, we had ours done a few months ago and they've been fine.

Soldato
Saw a presentation - these folks informetis have some new genuinely useful smart meter tech, spun out of Sony,
they believe they can identify power profile of different houshold appliances, so can give a break-out of their consumption, with just a single monitor device installed at fusebox
already being tested in Japan.

not worth installing anything until this kind of tech is here.

Soldato

That doesn't mean it needs replacing at all, simply they want you to.

Back
Top Bottom