Monarch Airlines to go bust tonight.

Caporegime
How is it legal to ramp up prices (or even continue to sell) for one last burst of profit knowing you about to go into admin, that should be a jailable offence in my view.

I assume that they were trying to show prospective buyers that there had a customer base that was willing to pay and could still do sales and be in a position to carry on trading. Guess it wasn't very convincing though.

Agreed it is a shady practice though.

What annoys me more though is that there have been concerns about getting their license renewed for quite a while now, but the mainstream news outlets (BBC News et al.) didn't really start reporting or putting it on the top of the pile until maybe Friday afternoon. I imagine a lot more people would have not booked if they were more aware of the issues they were in.

Soldato
Hands down the worst flight I've ever been is a Monarch flight to/from Egypt, after the way they handled our complaint I vowed never to fly with them ever again.

Sad for the jobs lost but honestly the way we were treated it's a case of "Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out"

Soldato
Flights booked directly with Monarch Airlines from 15 December 2016 onward
Customers with these bookings are not ATOL protected and are not entitled to make a claim to the CAA. You are advised to contact your card issuer, insurer or PayPal for advice on how to claim a refund.

OUCH!

Soldato
Haven't flown Monarch in years, i remember last time i was pricing flights up to Italy, their flights were quite a bit more expensive than the other budget airlines, so they're not exactly competing against the competition.

The news about them struggling to get their atol licence renewed late last week kind of already started the rumour mill about them going bust. You don't hear of these other profitable airlines having issues renewing their atol licences.

There was a couple of stories i'd read about people travelling to the airport this morning for early flights with them, to then find out when they got to the airport that the airline had gone bust.

Soldato
Did you get the date right there?

Looks like they haven't had the correct Atol protection for sometime so yes possibly the date is right, it was the right to sell package holidays it had been trying to get according to the BBC:-

"It had been in last-ditch talks with the CAA about renewing its licence to sell package holidays and had until midnight on Sunday to reach a deal, but failed to do so."

Soldato
Looks like they haven't had the correct Atol protection for sometime so yes possibly the date is right, it was the right to sell package holidays it had been trying to get according to the BBC:-

"It had been in last-ditch talks with the CAA about renewing its licence to sell package holidays and had until midnight on Sunday to reach a deal, but failed to do so."

Ah i figured it was the other way around, i thought UK airlines had to have an ATOL licence in order to sell flights/packages, if they've not had one since Dec 2016, i wouldn't have thought they'd have been allowed to sell flights/packages.

Soldato
You can just do a chargeback through bank.
Shame they went bust, far nicer experience than Ryan air or easy jet.
I thought there was only a smallish window for doing a charge back?

At least that was what lloyds told me when I paid BT upfront for line rental when signing up and then chose not to go ahead. It took nearly a year to get that money back.

Man of Honour
I thought there was only a smallish window for doing a charge back?

At least that was what lloyds told me when I paid BT upfront for line rental when signing up and then chose not to go ahead. It took nearly a year to get that money back.
120 days, and depending on the situation that time doesn't always start from purchase date. For example in this situation. You need to know your rights, so many companies will fob you off.

Just use the template and read up here
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback

Soldato
Just had a briefing at work about this. That when the administrators eventually phone what to do about the Monarch parts we have. Only two options they pay for repairs or they become our parts.

Soldato
Date is correct. Flights booked before December 2016 are ATOL protected, flights booked after Dec 2016 aren't.

Yeah noticed after reading the article that Monarch only had an ATOL licence for packages not flights. So if you've got a package booked already then you should be able to claim back. If it's only a flight booked, then you've got to use other means to get your money back.

Caporegime
Last used Monarch a few years back to Spain, great service, price, cabin crew etc

Alas, since then they have been no where near price wise either Jet2 for Spanish flights or Easy Jet for my frequent trips to Cyprus, both of whom I’ve never had an issue with.

Unfortunately it looks like they’ve lost out to the competition despite treating customers well in my experience, what a shame it isn’t Ryanair going down the pan, they couldn’t deserve it more! - a company I have never used after hearing plenty of horror stories prior to their recent debacle, never mind subsequently!

Back
Top Bottom