Car ploughs pedestrians outside natural history museum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
indeed, obstificating this with stats mostly derived from Northern Ireland relating terror misses the point a bit, in the context of this thread it is an Islamist attack people would be suspicious of as driving a car into people deliberately has been the MO for previous recent incidents (and of course the racist bloke near the Finsbury Park mosque too)
again rubbish, as the original comment was about it being ad times as there's so many terrorists attacks. this jusisn'tnt true and is plainly a false statement as the chart I posted shows. Historically, we are at an incredibly low terrorist point, even with the recent attacks.

Caporegime
again rubbish, as the original comment was about it being ad times as there's so many terrorists attacks. this jusisn'tnt true and is plainly a false statement as the chart I posted shows. Historically, we are at an incredibly low terrorist point, even with the recent attacks.

well it isn't rubbish as the poster is likely talking in the context of recent years i.e. the increase in Islamist attacks we've seen

Man of Honour
well it isn't rubbish as the poster is likely talking in the context of recent years i.e. the increase in Islamist attacks we've seen
lol, so we pick an insanely small time frame just to suit your irrational fear spurred by the media.
That's not how it works.

Caporegime
lol, so we pick an insanely small time frame just to suit your irrational fear spurred by the media.
That's not how it works.

that isn't how what works? You can look at a larger time frame for islamist attacks in the UK if you like...

Man of Honour
that isn't how what works? You can look at a larger time frame for islamist attacks in the UK if you like...
and the death toll is still lower than 2005 so you fail on that point as well.
in the west we are still at a very safe point in history.

But some of you have fallen for mass media scare tactics.

Caporegime
and the death toll is still lower than 2005 so you fail on that point as well.
in the west we are still at a very safe point in history.

But some of you have fallen for mass media scare tactics.

Fail on what point exactly? You seem to be conflating deaths and number of attacks there.

Man of Honour
Fail on what point exactly? You seem to be conflating deaths and number of attacks there.
not at all, I've been clear I've been using death stats.

there simply isn't any way you can argue risk of terrorism is higher now than preceding decades. IRA in a single year, outstrips a decade and a half of Islamic terrorism.

And again this is repeated around western countries, you are less likely to die now of terrorism than in previous decades.

Caporegime
not at all, I've been clear I've been using death stats.

there simply isn't any way you can argue risk of terrorism is higher now than preceding decades. IRA in a single year, outstrips a decade and a half of Islamic terrorism.

I think you need to stick with what I've actually posted as some of these posts are down to your own reading comprehension or lack of. I've not argued that "risk of terrorism" is higher now than in previous decades for example.

Soldato
and still nothing compared to previous decades. so whats your point.

My post stands, in the past 8 years UK terrorism has been fairly quiet, in the past 10 months it's significantly worse, hence my "sad times" post. However, as you can't understand that people may have a different opinion to yours (which is OK) you'll now argue that, any opinion which is different than yours is wrong - not "different" but wrong - and the sooner we all agree with you the sooner you'll be able to go offline saying "Yeah, I showed them!" which is sad really. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind or alter anyone's opinion, I'm just stating what my own is.

Caporegime
My post stands, in the past 8 years UK terrorism has been fairly quiet, in the past 10 months it's significantly worse, hence my "sad times" post. However, as you can't understand that people may have a different opinion to yours (which is OK) you'll now argue that, any opinion which is different than yours is wrong - not "different" but wrong - and the sooner we all agree with you the sooner you'll be able to go offline saying "Yeah, I showed them!" which is sad really. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind or alter anyone's opinion, I'm just stating what my own is.
And if it's quiet again next year, then what? Will you see that sometimes there are just anomalies and you can't call things too early?

Soldato
I'm sure the same posters before this year were saying how we are living in good times as far as terrorism is concerned. After all historically low number of casualties right for multiple years right?

Oh wait, I bet pessimists are always pessimists.

Caporegime
One point I would make is that the "number of deaths" doesn't really tell the whole story about terrorism, I think we'll all accept (9/11 aside) Islamic extremism is pretty dire in terms of effectiveness compared to former organisations like the IRA. This year there seems to have been a massive spike in terrorist attacks but fatalities have been low compared to overall casualties, then you've got all of the acid attacks which although not exactly terrorism is just as scary to think about and has spiked in numbers only very recently. The main goal of terrorism is to cause fear and influence political change, when a bomb goes off it's no less scary whether 1 person dies or 100. 2017 has been one incident after another in the UK whereas previous years there have only really been sporadic attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom