The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Survey has come back with the damp and electrical issues I was expecting and had allowed for but also saying the chimney stack is in poor structural condition :( It's a 6 pot chimney stack so fairly substantial, not something I want to worry about falling through the roof in a storm! Will get some builders out to quote up and go from there... Subject to resolution to that I'm ready to complete.

Soldato
Great news mate. That's a pretty good time to get it sorted in. What did you get in the end?
Helps when you're doing it yourself and can hound the sellers' solicitor ;) Would have been a week or more quicker but Countrywide surveyors took ages...

Fairly spacious 3 bed (2 + box) end terrace with reasonable sized front & rear gardens plus outbuilding for £107.5k. Needs redecorating throughout which will be a nice winter project on a tight budget :o Will put some pics up in the man jobs thread at the weekend..

Soldato
Helps when you're doing it yourself and can hound the sellers' solicitor ;) Would have been a week or more quicker but Countrywide surveyors took ages...

Fairly spacious 3 bed (2 + box) end terrace with reasonable sized front & rear gardens plus outbuilding for £107.5k. Needs redecorating throughout which will be a nice winter project on a tight budget :o Will put some pics up in the man jobs thread at the weekend..

Sounds exactly like what ive just managed to get lol, although for the privilege of being in town I paid 50% more :(

Wish I'd done it all myself, took me 5 months from getting offer accepted to moving in.

Getting a contractor in to sort mine (plasterwork, electrical and plumbing) as I work away.

Going to be really interesting seeing what I can get on the worlds tightest budget!

Associate
Just going through the process of the searches now. Me and my girlfriend put an offer in for £143,000 on a 3 bed ex-council house with large garden and drive :D Not bad for a first time buyer!

Soldato
Top of a 3 party chain and the 2 below me are driving me mad. Problems after problems and so utterly utterly slow. I've had all my paperwork signed for 2 months now :(

First there was an issue with the people at the bottom being unable to prove where the deposit money was coming from, after 2 rejected mortgages 3rd one was ok, hooray all on track.

Now my buyers are messing around with their mortgage. Originally their daughter-in-law was re-mortgaging her house to come up with the addition £30k required to buy my house (couple in their 60's mortgage free, so proceeds of their house plus £30k buys mine), turns out the bank have pulled the plug on that idea when they asked what the re-mortgage money was being used for. :rolleyes: Now couple in 60's are looking to mortgage the extra £30k which will hopefully be ok but don't know as they're close to / semi-retired. Hopefully find out if successful next week, I've put mine back on the market for now, new viewings lined up, dreaming of an easy cash buyer!

Hoping my house builders don't pull the plug on my house :(

Soldato
I'm getting very close to being in a position to buy and have been doing more in depth searches for properties recently.

Is there a rule where you shouldn't buy the first property you go to see? I was looking at spending 150k but have seen a couple for 125-130 which seem to meet my requirements, one which I keep going back to. I tend to be quite impatient and rush into purchases, obviously this one is going to be a hell of a lot more important.

Soldato
We have been renting for five years after last selling in 2012. Now we have found an ideal bungalow and had the survey back. Floors, walls, chimney and roof are fine, everything else was a 2 or a 3. Luckily no chain either direction.

All searches done. Now waiting for the contract and checking out local trades. Building the spreadsheet of jobs to do and replacements, 35k so far.

Soldato
Well we went onto the market this week, already bored with people coming round to view, canceling days before and so on.

We had one come and view on her own, now her husband wants to come on his own, there house isnt even on the market .. meh

Soldato
16 weeks in, apparently we may exchange next week. Not been impressed with our solicitor so far. Feel like i have been doing all the work and should bill them for my time. One query was about the drive way been given planning permission but no evidence the work was done. 10 secs on Google maps i gave them the answer :rolleyes: Building regs were not signed off on their site survey result. Spoke to the council and got the certificate.

Back
Top Bottom