Windows 10

Permabanned
Afaik yes but this build has once again messed up Thumbnail cache as it resets each reboot.

MS will finally get it right one day with Win 12 (skipping 11 I guess for same reasons as 9). :p

Permabanned
I've found an article explaining this update process and it seems it will take longer. Some computers are in high position in the priority list, while other will have to wait... and probably a lot so. Based on where your location is too :confused: Kind of weird because screams the word "discrimination".

I wanna update right now and would be very happy if you post a direct link for the update.

Soldato
I'm using the latest update and I'm getting fed up with it already. They're removing access to more old control panel items and have their crappy new "settings" dialogs for touch/mobile users which is just useless on the desktop. The default apps dialog is especially infuriating. I suppose when a fresh install is done, you typically don't need to tinker so much but I just hate the overall direction it's going. :/

Man of Honour
Pfft they should just abandon Windows 10 not work on it - they've clearly lost sight of what their users actually need and want.

Windows 7 might be old but aside from DX12 (and Vulkan runs fine on 7 anyhow) there is pretty much nothing 10 can do it can't and in many cases actually does it better aside from some of the advances to the file copy dialog in 8 and 10.

That's a bit extreme but going back to 8.1 is always an option.

No start menu without messing about with 3rd party software or making your own, the UI looks like ass, does have some nice improvements to performance and stability under the hood though - my Windows 8 tablet consistently boots up in 1/3rd the time my Windows 10 ones take despite being older hardware.

Permabanned
The UI is fine. Especially the option to customise the start menu colour according to your wish. Of course, it'd be better if they increase the colours count and allow any colour to be used.

Soldato
I'm using the latest update and I'm getting fed up with it already. They're removing access to more old control panel items and have their crappy new "settings" dialogs for touch/mobile users which is just useless on the desktop. The default apps dialog is especially infuriating. I suppose when a fresh install is done, you typically don't need to tinker so much but I just hate the overall direction it's going. :/
Is it really that bad? Currently on 7 and was going to install 10 but may stick with windows 7 if this is the case.

May install on to a vm first to test

Man of Honour
The UI is fine. Especially the option to customise the start menu colour according to your wish. Of course, it'd be better if they increase the colours count and allow any colour to be used.

Its harder on the eyes and doesn't have the same cohesive polish as Windows 7 - the customisation options are pitiful and don't even work properly over all elements.

I have Windows 10 up on one monitor (as my GPD Pocket doesn't have drivers for anything earlier and its docked on my second monitor when not travelling) and Windows 7 on the other and I would not choose to use 10 for prolonged periods it just looks nasty in comparison.

Soldato
Is it really that bad? Currently on 7 and was going to install 10 but may stick with windows 7 if this is the case.

May install on to a vm first to test

Just to give an example of what I'm griping about with the new settings dialog, on previous versions you could associate an app with all the file types it supports with a few clicks. Now you have to associate each type by hand. I cannot find any way to access the old dialog.

rROPGpP.png

And what an efficient use of space on my 1440p monitor. :p

edit: this is the dialog I'm missing. Here you can "select all" and be done with it...

ZmyhQjd.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
In about 3 revisions time, after a lot of dragging of feet and unnecessary half arsed implementations if people complain enough you'll probably end up with something that actually effectively makes use of a desktop environment that everyone could see is the right approach all along.

Unfortunately it seems unless you are super high profile like a streamer with millions of followers and industry connections your complaints will largely fall on deaf ears.

Back
Top Bottom