Robot Wars returning to BBC2!

Associate
I see(well hear) they still have that strange voice over guy. :<

Annoying af isn’t he! I forgot about that. He seems to have ramped it up from last time. I now mute those bits.

That guy from team Apollo is a bell as well. Hope they don’t win.

Sabretooth guy also a pillock. Where do they find them?

Last edited:
Soldato
I was quite disappointed with this episode, not much carnage and behomth is just an old robot that doesnt even have a very good flipper. Seconded about the apollo guy tho.

Associate
I actually really enjoyed the episode, although it took me a while to get my head around the new format (e.g. they talked to sabretooth as if they were out and then boom they're in another fight) and don't like the 'robot intro' voice which they've turned up to 11 lol

Looking forward to next week :)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I see they have wheeled out the same robots as last season :confused:

Back in the “good ol days” it was rare to see a robot twice in 2 seasons. There is either a distinct lack of entries or no one seems bothered???

How long until we see Thor, Carbide and Storm?

Associate
It's a shame though that there aren't more robots, I get the expensive argument though. It's a difficult balance between bringing back "favourites" and getting newbies on board and having enough competitors. I hope "Pulsar" competes again for example as I liked that robot but it was already in series 8 and 9. I would imagine Carbide will be back again, didn't they win last time? I think at least the defending champion should be allowed back.

There was a decent clusterbot in one of the early series called "Gemini", can't remember how well it did. The little one with the spinner from Sunday did quite well. I agree about the weight issue though.

Soldato
It looked like carbide might be in this weekends one from watching that first show. Watching the backstory vids tho, a lot of the machines they use arent exactly standard things to have in the garage. CNC machines are expensive.

Soldato
That cluster bot would have been much more interesting if it was 3 spinners rather than 1 spinner and 3 pointless bots.
Yeah, I liked the spinner - obviously not shocking in the way of damage given, but it looked well constructed for something that really ought to have torn itself to shreds rather than tearing off a few panels. It's the first cluster bot team that has shown anything at all, and those sort of unique efforts ought to be praised for bringing something new and different.

I wonder how well a twin team of cluster bot spinners could work... half the weight of a standard robot, but if something that small can cause that much damage, I bet someone is thinking about it. Obviously you'd only need to immobilise one robot for the whole team to be out though.

Agreed with the above that the Sabretooth guy really tries hard to be unlikable.

I still disagree with most on the Apollo guy though - the whole boyband thing was clearly made up for the show, and why not, it is a show (remember we're largely a group of now mature blokes in a show that is probably aimed at ages 10+ as much as most of us at 30+). I'm pretty sure he doesn't wander around his home town acting like that and from what he said in the show he wasn't comfortable with how regularly he was recognised.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

No it wasn't :confused:

Look at any season before season 8. The competitor list is double or triple per season and the large majority of those from season 8 have gone on to season 9 and 10.. so yes, they are re-using the same core set of robots compared to yesteryear.

Here's an example of unique robots that didn't appear in following series:

Season 7 unique competitors: 50
Season 8 unique competitors: 11
Season 9 unique competitors: 12
Season 10 unique competitors: 10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Robot_Wars_robots#The_First_Wars

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom