Acid attacks

Soldato
We Britons have lost that community spirit. Since the 80s it's just eroded away with the onslaught of consumerism, everyone is just out for themselves now. As well as that people are afraid to get organised, the police would be pretty quick to shut that down.

Some of that erosion is deliberate. Any group of British who try to organize community responses immediately get vilified as racists and, if they're not, a few people start appearing to support them who conveniently are and THEN the group can be vilified. Sometimes the State appears to hate those who fight back more than the criminals themselves. I suppose there's a logic to that - criminals make the state more able to justify its power. Community efforts make the State less needed.

Man of Honour
acid attacks have been going on for much longer than reported, i know, i got mugged back in 1993 by 3 travellers that squirted me in the face/eyes with some kind of acid/corrosive substance
i was on my own night fishing with no one else around, 3 of them and 1 of me, all for about £10, good job i was next to the lake so i ran in upto my waist splashing my face with water,
its a cowardly thing to do

Last edited:
Soldato
Sharia law isn't a synonym for "Eye for an Eye". Sharia law is law by Islamic court. So for example, homosexuals are beaten in Sharia law countries if discovered, women have few rights in divorce, heresy is an actual crime you can be sentenced for. Not sure how you got Sharia Law from Nasher's post.

It's a law of retaliation rather than rehabilitation, like most barbaric backward notions of right and wrong. Problem?

Soldato
White man throws acid on 2 muslims and not one single care was given. Wonder why that is?? I’m sure the racist xenophobic lot in here will come up a few good reasons as to why it’s ok to throw acid on dem brownies.

Or, you know, people might think this is also a terrible crime. Is there anyone here you think supports acid being thrown in innocent people's faces? Because I can't think of one. I don't think the article says anything about the skin colours of either the attacker OR the victim, so all these comments from people saying how wrong it is and what should be done with the attackers have nothing to do with race.

Frankly, it's just nasty for you to imply anyone commenting here is so racist that they would suddenly not care if the attacker turns out to be White.

Soldato
acid attacks have been going on for much longer than reported, i know, i got mugged back in 1993 by 3 travellers that squirted me in the face/eyes with some kind of acid/corrosive substance
i was on my own night fishing with no one else around, 3 of them and 1 of me, all for about £10, good job i was next to the lake so i ran in upto my waist splashing my face with water,
its a cowardly thing to do

Acid throwing was a thing in the Victorian era too...

Soldato
White man throws acid on 2 muslims and not one single care was given. Wonder why that is?? I’m sure the racist xenophobic lot in here will come up a few good reasons as to why it’s ok to throw acid on dem brownies.
really? it was splattered all over the news. Bit of an odd view you have there. Open your eyes.

Associate
Acid throwing was a thing in the Victorian era too...

At the end of the day, people are falling victims of horrific crimes. Yes it happened - so did slashing with a razor - We can't change history.

The issue is what can be done today which will act as a true deterrent...

Commissario
We must move to embrace this culture in the name of multiculturalism and diversity.
Stop being so silly.

for the uninformed acid attacks are nothing new, they've been going on in the UK since at least Victorian times, the difference is that it's now both easier to get a lot of acids* than it was in the past, and with the increasingly harsh penalties for even carrying a knife (or other potentially offensive weapon) in public acid is coming back because the police can't stop everyone who is carrying a bottle of coke or fanta and check what's in the bottle.
It also require no skill or knowledge to use and pretty much instantly incapacitates the victim, which means the scum are more likely to get away, and unlike a knife attack doesn't risk you getting the blood of your victim on your clothing making you immediately obvious to the police/public and easier to link to the attack via forensics.

*actually caustic substances, as a strong alkali can be as bad as a strong acid.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
At the end of the day, people are falling victims of horrific crimes. Yes it happened - so did slashing with a razor - We can't change history.

The issue is what can be done today which will act as a true deterrent...

Some think that making acid/corrosive substances difficult to purchase is a deterrent. Sure, but all it does it make the people who would use acid move to using something else.

These people need to be punished. Yes we may live in a civilised society, but safety of citizens is essential. Ensuring a well equipped and funded police force is only one aspect, making sure criminals are deterred from committing crimes, particularly ones that involve harm to other people, is the another.

Does society really need individuals who have no qualms in using acid to permanently scar and/or disable citizens for the sake of a few pounds? Would they think twice about their actions if they thought they would get the same treatment if caught?

Soldato
Stop being so silly.

for the uninformed acid attacks are nothing new, they've been going on in the UK since at least Victorian times, the difference is that it's now both easier to get a lot of acids* than it was in the past, and with the increasingly harsh penalties for even carrying a knife (or other potentially offensive weapon) in public acid is coming back because the police can't stop everyone who is carrying a bottle of coke or fanta and check what's in the bottle.
It also require no skill or knowledge to use and pretty much instantly incapacitates the victim, which means the scum are more likely to get away, and unlike a knife attack doesn't risk you getting the blood of your victim on your clothing making you immediately obvious to the police/public and easier to link to the attack via forensics.

*actually caustic substances, as a strong alkali can be as bad as a strong acid.

that makes sense, but what do we do to stop it?

and more importantly what do we do with the scum who do this? what punishment matches that crime?

Caporegime
the problem with that, as werewolf quite rightly pointed out, if acid attacks are much harder to identify then there's the possibility of getting the wrong man.

BUT, when you clearly do have the right man/14 year old boy, they should be blinded. I honestly think make example of 5 or so kid criminals and a lot of people will have second thoughts in the future.

The victim of this crimes life is DESTROYED utterly for the sake of a few grands worth of moped?!

I would rather be stabbed. Chances are you will have a big scar and be laid up for 2 months....

These criminals need to be basically murdered by the state. There's no point in them being part of society.

Back
Top Bottom