**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

V_R

V_R

Soldato
My understanding is, when you opted in to beta, it was only for the 8.1 beta, then I think you carry on as normal. I would stay put. I heard the DP2 was basically what was being released now anyway.

When the beta ends you will get an update to the latest stable build.

Then if your device is still enrolled into the beta you will continue to receive beta updates when available until you unenroll. So for example when 8.2 DP1 is out you will get that update if you're still enrolled in the program, and so on.

Soldato
Does anyone here have issues getting this device to fast(er) charge from a normal 2.4a charger? I can fast charge using the supplied usbc charger but when I try any normal charger it doesn't seem to go above 1.5a. My old pixel used to fast charge using a normal charger.

Associate
Does anyone here ha
ve issues getting this device to fast(er) charge from a normal 2.4a charger? I can fast charge using the supplied usbc charger but when I try any normal charger it doesn't seem to go above 1.5a. My old pixel used to fast charge using a normal charger.
Mine appears to be slow as hell using the included charger for some reason (13% in half an hour).

Associate
Mine appears to be slow as hell using the included charger for some reason (13% in half an hour).
My experience is pretty similar to yours. Though, it starts off really slow, seems to speed up between 30% - 60%, then slows right down again. All using the supplied cable and plug. That said, with my usage, I'm getting best part of 3 days between charging, so I'm not too bothered!

Associate
My experience is pretty similar to yours. Though, it starts off really slow, seems to speed up between 30% - 60%, then slows right down again. All using the supplied cable and plug. That said, with my usage, I'm getting best part of 3 days between charging, so I'm not too bothered!

It's a bit stupid if it starts slow and speeds up. The whole point for me in fast charging is to get as much battery life back in as short a time as possible. If it wasn't for the good battery life that would be a deal breaker for me (particularly with the lack of wireless charging as well).

Soldato
Talking about battery, I've taken to using AccuBattery to give me a warning when the phone reaches 80% so that I can unplug the device. This supposedly reduces cycle wear of the battery and this is something I'm keen to do after my Galaxy S7 Edge battery went downhill quickly due to what I assume is fast charging.

However, AccuBattery is already reporting my battery health as 88% despite the device being 3 days old - surely this can't be right? I know it's not going to be accurate as it just takes total mAh put into the phone, divided by the total % increase. I.e. in 6 charging sessions, it believes I've put 5,503mAh of charge which equates to 232% of charge. 5,503/2.32 = 2,372.

Soldato
Talking about battery, I've taken to using AccuBattery to give me a warning when the phone reaches 80% so that I can unplug the device. This supposedly reduces cycle wear of the battery and this is something I'm keen to do after my Galaxy S7 Edge battery went downhill quickly due to what I assume is fast charging.

However, AccuBattery is already reporting my battery health as 88% despite the device being 3 days old - surely this can't be right? I know it's not going to be accurate as it just takes total mAh put into the phone, divided by the total % increase. I.e. in 6 charging sessions, it believes I've put 5,503mAh of charge which equates to 232% of charge. 5,503/2.32 = 2,372.
I'm not convinced taking it off charge at 80% is going to help that much. Anyway the fast charging bits happen when battery is low not when it's nearly topped up.

Battery health is just your current battery's max charge capacity versus theoretical battery capacity (as reported in specs). 88% does seem very low for a brand new phone.,

Soldato
Anyway the fast charging bits happen when battery is low not when it's nearly topped up.
That's the thing though, as I've pointed out myself and has been eluded to by other members, the 2XL isn't even quick charging at low % either, from 0-20% is a real slog. I wonder is to do with heat? With the XL last year I noticed that the initial 50% the charger really hammered the battery and it could get quite hot. All that said I'm still pretty miffed that it's sold with this quick charging malarky vs wireless charging and the quick charging is no better than the average 2A charger for phones from 5 years ago.

Associate
As I say earlier, mine only went from 45% to 58% in about half an hour. Phone indicated it would still take 3 hours to charge. That's not fast charging, even though the phone itself claimed to be "charging rapidly" (!)

Luckily, the battery has lasted me 2 whole days and is still on 20% so even without the top up it would have been fine. As long as I remember to charge it tonight :)

Soldato
I've just had a Google search of the issue you guys mentioned with regards to charging speeds. There appears to be a number of threads in several locations including Google product help forums.

Soldato
That's the thing though, as I've pointed out myself and has been eluded to by other members, the 2XL isn't even quick charging at low % either, from 0-20% is a real slog. I wonder is to do with heat? With the XL last year I noticed that the initial 50% the charger really hammered the battery and it could get quite hot. All that said I'm still pretty miffed that it's sold with this quick charging malarky vs wireless charging and the quick charging is no better than the average 2A charger for phones from 5 years ago.
Indeed when I was in warm climates and stuck my phone onto a Xiaomi charger it really used to heat up and shut off a couple of times.

Associate
I've just had a Google search of the issue you guys mentioned with regards to charging speeds. There appears to be a number of threads in several locations including Google product help forums.

I've just done the same, allegedly, it's by design to stop the degradation of the battery, which I half suspected might have been the case. Oh well, I can live with it I guess, especially seeing as the battery does last a couple of days on a charge at a push.

Soldato
I've just done the same, allegedly, it's by design to stop the degradation of the battery, which I half suspected might have been the case. Oh well, I can live with it I guess, especially seeing as the battery does last a couple of days on a charge at a push.

That is good going. They may tweak it in future updates.

Back
Top Bottom