IPS vs TN response times.

Associate
Apologies if this is a re-post.

Reading through a few threads, the general consensus is that IPS screens are more desirable than TN. (I'm not here to debate the + and -'s).

However, i've noticed that the fastest IPS response time in my size/price bracket is 4ms, as opposed to 1 ms for a TN panel.

Is this purely due to the different technologies?

Soldato
TN is faster, no doubt about it. Pro twitch gamers all have TN panels because that's all they care about.

Personally, I value image quality over pure response time. Ips response time is fast enough and the image quality is far superior.

Don't get me started on ips panel lottery with backlight bleed or ips glow though ;)

Personally I favour VA.

Associate
OP
TN is faster, no doubt about it. Pro twitch gamers all have TN panels because that's all they care about.

Personally, I value image quality over pure response time. Ips response time is fast enough and the image quality is far superior.

Don't get me started on ips panel lottery with backlight bleed or ips glow though ;)

Personally I favour VA.

I want to upgrade from 24 inch TN 1080 gsync to 27 inch 1440 Gsync. Decisions decisions. Thanks for the input!

Man of Honour
TN is faster but barely noticeable to a decent IPS IMO.

Depends - my Dell U2913WM is almost if not as fast as my Dell S2716DG at stabilising if you pull a fast 180 but tracking an object in motion there is a huge huge difference between them - and the U2913WM is up there (as tested) with many of the better (60Hz) IPS panels for motion clarity despite the on paper numbers.

Associate
OP
I play shooters mainly and don't use anything other than tn. I have ips and va panels but I do notice the slower pixel response.
Thanks

I think i'm going to stick with TN.

The 27 inch Dell looks pretty good - well reviewed -

dell S2716DG

Anyone got one and care to comment?

Associate
OP
Had my S2716DG for nearly a year, I don't really have anything to compare it to, but once the colour levels are adjusted out, gamma in particular. It's a bloody stunning screen.

Thanks Andy,

Its going to be the dell or the ROG swift (which is 10% more). The ROG has got 165hz refresh rate.... I can't decide. Sold my AOC2460PG today too so i need to pick one quick.

Man of Honour
All the Dell S2716DG and the Asus based on the same panel that I've seen all need some adjustment out the box (documented in relevant threads here) but once you do the colours are pretty acceptable as far as any TN ever goes - the Dell is a great monitor overall.

Personally I'd go for the Dell - so far has better reputation for quality control and when you see them side by side in person the Dell has a more premium and serious look - the Asus looks a bit cheap (given the ROG branding) in comparison.

Soldato
As said I have nothing to compare it to, but the Dell has a massively premium quality feel and look to it. I don't think 165hz would bother me, mostly because my rig plays most stuff around 100fps on max settings. Even if I was pushing 144 frames, I don't feel like I'm missing out on the even higher framerates.

The couple of things going against the Dell, it's been out a few years now, maybe a refresh is soon due? But if you can get it at a good price (~£450-500) IMO it has a look future still and will blow you away :D

Associate
OP
All the Dell S2716DG and the Asus based on the same panel that I've seen all need some adjustment out the box (documented in relevant threads here) but once you do the colours are pretty acceptable as far as any TN ever goes - the Dell is a great monitor overall.

Personally I'd go for the Dell - so far has better reputation for quality control and when you see them side by side in person the Dell has a more premium and serious look - the Asus looks a bit cheap (given the ROG branding) in comparison.
As said I have nothing to compare it to, but the Dell has a massively premium quality feel and look to it. I don't think 165hz would bother me, mostly because my rig plays most stuff around 100fps on max settings. Even if I was pushing 144 frames, I don't feel like I'm missing out on the even higher framerates.

The couple of things going against the Dell, it's been out a few years now, maybe a refresh is soon due? But if you can get it at a good price (~£450-500) IMO it has a look future still and will blow you away :D

Thanks guys.

I think i'm going to pull the trigger on the Dell. After reading up on so many QC issues with other manufacturers, I'll give it a go. I was also tempted by the new AOC AGON jobbie (IPS panel) but as I was so happy with my Gsync TN panel before, I think i'm going to stick with TN for now.

Thanks for all the input.

Associate
Go for the Dell indeed for one reason and that is the anti glare coating.

The Asus is very aggressive. I had the Dell 2417DG as well and the coating on that was perfect.

The Dell imo does not look more premium to me side by side. They both look high quality and my Dell had a defect in the bezel which can happen to any monitor.

Don't forget to register the Dell and I really like that you can see how much warranty is left in days on the site. :)

Associate
OP
Go for the Dell indeed for one reason and that is the anti glare coating.

The Asus is very aggressive. I had the Dell 2417DG as well and the coating on that was perfect.

The Dell imo does not look more premium to me side by side. They both look high quality and my Dell had a defect in the bezel which can happen to any monitor.

Don't forget to register the Dell and I really like that you can see how much warranty is left in days on the site. :)

Thanks man. A guy I work with has just literally today bought 2 of the swifts. Is the coating really that bad?

Man of Honour
Depends on the revision - both the Dell and Asus current revisions should be OK for the coating.

Personally I don't rate the Asus at all - I've had 3 replacements of the PG278Q the power adapter is lowest bidder garbage with poor regulation ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTs2d5omrPw ) and I opened up (monitor) the latest one and things are just slapped in there and held together with a bit of silver tape. Altogether I've not been impressed at all while my Dell has far better looking construction and looks and feels more robust.

EDIT: Even stuff like the included cables - the DP cable in the box in the Dell is fairly decent the Asus one has horrid brittle plastic housing on the connectors and feels stiff and uncooperative while the Dell is fairly compliant.

Associate
Thanks man. A guy I work with has just literally today bought 2 of the swifts. Is the coating really that bad?
I have the Asus PG278QR which I bought 2-3 months ago and still notice the coating. It's my only complaint but I still advise you to go with the Dell.

This was the only monitor that came more or less perfect without needing to be replaced that I bought this year and I have had many.

Back
Top Bottom