• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen "2" ?

los

los

Associate
Ok Thanks, I was considering picking up a mobo now then getting the processor when they are released, Jan-feb I think? In that case I'll hold on for now.

Permabanned
It will be February-March.
You can hold for now, even though I am not sure if X470 will bring substantial changes and anything worth the wait.
If it is easier for you to split the expenses, then buy the motherboard now.

Associate
It will be February-March.
You can hold for now, even though I am not sure if X470 will bring substantial changes and anything worth the wait.
If it is easier for you to split the expenses, then buy the motherboard now.

Thinking on what the X370 platform provides and all it's modern features, what could possibly be added on X470?

Associate
X470 could add Thunderbolt 3 support, USB 3.1 gen 2, it could provide more PCI-E lanes to enable more I/O options, maybe integrated WiFi & BT, maybe tougher VRM spec, etc...
B450 with better VRMs would be nice, because right now the jump from B350 to the good X370 boards VRM wise is pretty darn steep, albeit even your basic B350 board with a heatsink on the mosfets can cope with 3.8/3.9Ghz R7s.

Associate
I thought they used an ASMedia chip for USB 3.1 gen 2 and the X370 chipset itself only has 3.1 gen 1? Can't really find the chipset documentation anywhere to get more info.
Gen 3 lanes would be welcome too, or more Gen 2 lanes.

Soldato
Even now it seems a lot of people on the same board get different mileage with the same memory.

Do they ? It seems to me the only real variable is the "people". Over the years of Intel domination, most peeps have got used to just selecting mem speed and it worked. Go back that not many years ago and all of us had to work out for ourselves what was our best mem speed. I would suggest to you and probably a lot of others that overclocking memory has always been very tricky and time consuming. Now day's for the most part peeps just do not want to spend the time or have the expertise to properly trouble shoot or overclock any ram properly. Don't blame the mobo or the ram.................look at the user.

Soldato
Me and the girlfriend have the same case, cooling, cpu, board and memory. Mine sits happily at it's stated 3200 C14 but hers sits down at 3148Mhz instead. Minor difference I know but that's just using these two systems.

Soldato
Whilst the user does have some weight in the results of overclocking. As I've said many times on here 1 CPU could do 3466 the other could only do 2933, same mobo same ram. No amount of tweaking could get the other above 2933 until much much later bios updates, even then 3200 was its limit.

Permabanned
Me and the girlfriend have the same case, cooling, cpu, board and memory. Mine sits happily at it's stated 3200 C14 but hers sits down at 3148Mhz instead. Minor difference I know but that's just using these two systems.

The conclusion is that you are more lucky than she is.

Whilst the user does have some weight in the results of overclocking. As I've said many times on here 1 CPU could do 3466 the other could only do 2933, same mobo same ram. No amount of tweaking could get the other above 2933 until much much later bios updates, even then 3200 was its limit.

This is a huuuge difference. ~3500 MHz and 2933 MHz.
Must be something very wrong with the CPU, worse bin or something :eek:

Is there an article to explain why these memory frequency differences appear? :confused:

Soldato
Anyone seen anything on "Threadripper 2" (Zen+/Ryzen 2 threadripper chips)? Tempted to drop a decent chunk on a good setup. Gaming mostly, sure but will end up being my lab/training rig too.
I'll probably stick with Ryzen 2700x but... curious to see what's planned.

Soldato
Anyone seen anything on "Threadripper 2" (Zen+/Ryzen 2 threadripper chips)? Tempted to drop a decent chunk on a good setup. Gaming mostly, sure but will end up being my lab/training rig too.
Upgrading from our Sandy/Ivy Bridge setups to any kind of 6 core Ryzen will be a massive boost, lets just hope that Ryzen+ hits 4.5ghz fairly easily.

Permabanned

No information about Threadripper 2 I have seen.
If AMD keeps the time cadence, they will introduce it later in 2018.

Back
Top Bottom