• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Associate
How do you guys install the new drivers?

I just normally install them without uninstalling the old ones, is that a no no? I'm confused lol

Last edited:
Man of Honour
These days just straight over the top - unless I've had problems and/or doing a major GPU change when I will use the clean option built into the nVidia drivers.

Permabanned
How do you guys install the new drivers?

I just normally install them without uninstalling the old ones, is that a no no? I'm confused lol

If you don't use all the bloatware that is included in the drivers, just install the bare minimum. Manually extract (using 7-zip or similar) the following folders Display Driver, HDAudio, NV12 and PhysX along with the following files EULA.txt, ListDevices.txt, setup.cfg and setup.exe. Then just run setup.exe to install. No more bloatware, no more geforce experience and no more telemetry.

eljq6TW.jpg

Associate
Thought so, thank's guys.

So it was you who suggested that method then Wrinkly!!

I told someone about that in other thread and couldn't find where I got the info from to give credit for it.

Soldato
I wish we would get some magic drives from time to time like the AMD lot.

I know we get some goodies software wise when new cards launch but that's like once a year on average.
what do you mean by 'magic' though? Did Nvidia do quite a big performance boost not too long ago? The AMD drivers haven't done that in a while, the Adrenalin driver had a small performance boost but nothing I'd describe as 'magic'.

Or are you taking about the bloat that keeps getting added to the AMD drivers? I want less bloat in my drivers, not more.

Soldato
Not sure, playing around with 'Power Management Mode' within Nvidia's control panel, I noticed that an idle Skype could bring the card upto ~1585 when 'Prefer Maximum Performance' was selected.

If you don't use all the bloatware that is included in the drivers, just install the bare minimum. Manually extract (using 7-zip or similar) the following folders Display Driver, HDAudio, NV12 and PhysX along with the following files EULA.txt, ListDevices.txt, setup.cfg and setup.exe. Then just run setup.exe to install. No more bloatware, no more geforce experiance and no more telemetry.

Edit: Found the old jpg -

eljq6TW.jpg

Before installing the latest driver with your method, would I have to clean with DDU to get rid of the current driver and all the bloat first?

Permabanned
Before installing the latest driver with your method, would I have to clean with DDU to get rid of the current driver and all the bloat first?

No. The only time you should use DDU is when you have driver issues. For example, I found that my GPU would not wake from monitor sleep after one driver update. Running DDU in safe mode and then reinstalling the drivers solved the issue.

It's also good practice to disable any overclocking / monitoring tools before doing an update.

Associate
Soldato
No. The only time you should use DDU is when you have driver issues. For example, I found that my GPU would not wake from monitor sleep after one driver update. Running DDU in safe mode and then reinstalling the drivers solved the issue.

It's also good practice to disable any overclocking / monitoring tools before doing an update.
But surely if he doesn't clear out the bloat, including the telemetry stuff, before installing over the top with the cut down stuff it'll just leave all the bloat from the last install he did? As I understand it even if you click 'clean install' or whatever it is that only clears any setting it doesn't uninstall anything.

Permabanned
But surely if he doesn't clear out the bloat, including the telemetry stuff, before installing over the top with the cut down stuff it'll just leave all the bloat from the last install he did? As I understand it even if you click 'clean install' or whatever it is that only clears any setting it doesn't uninstall anything.

No, the setup will run the uninstaller for the existing setup.

Soldato
*ring ring ring* Is this nvidia?, yes? okay listen ive just had a call from 2001 and they want their control panel back soo could you guys please try and be a bit proactive and come up with something new, fresh and feature packed that is not locked behind a login? thanks bye!

Back
Top Bottom