Weird issue when upgrading RAM

Soldato
Specs below, motherboard is an MSI Z97M. Manual states for dual channel ram you populate DIM2 and 4.

So my old ram (Radeon r9 2400mhz 2x4gb) works fine in those slots, but my new ram Dom Platinum 16gb 2400mhz doesn't post in slots 2 and 4, I get a memory error '26'.

The new ram DOES, work in slots 1 and 3, with all 16gb detected. Old ram works fine in all slots.

So is this a dual channel issue? Will it impact performance? Any ideas how to sort it?

Edit: both of the new sticks will work in the following slots on their own : 1,3,4

So slot 2 with either module is the issue, not with old ram though. That works in every slot.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well, I haven't fixed it yet.

But I've stuck with dim 1 and 3 for the time being.

Memory benchmarks show a significant increase in performance which surprised me conserably, as I was only looking to increase to 16gb in preparation for a higher res monitor.

If anyone has any ideas to fix this I'd be interested, as I'd like to see if performance increases using the specified dim slots.

Soldato
OP
Not super stable still. Returning ram for another set. See if it works.

Otherwise I think it's a compatibility issue and will try some other ram.

DDR3 is damned scarce now though, especially 2400. And don't want to mess anyone around second hand if I have further issues.

Will report back just in case someone has these issues and it helps resolve them.

Soldato
So my old ram (Radeon r9 2400mhz 2x4gb) works fine in those slots, but my new ram Dom Platinum 16gb 2400mhz doesn't post in slots 2 and 4, I get a memory error '26'.

The new ram DOES, work in slots 1 and 3, with all 16gb detected. Old ram works fine in all slots.

Edit: both of the new sticks will work in the following slots on their own : 1,3,4

So slot 2 with either module is the issue, not with old ram though. That works in every slot.
Was the memory difficult to push into the DIMM slots or vice versa?

If they were particularly tricky to press in it could be that they just need inserting a few times to get them 'acclimatised', so to speak, to the slot so that they're making full contact.

Conversely, if they slotted in too easily they may not be making full contact with slot 2.

Soldato
OP
Was the memory difficult to push into the DIMM slots or vice versa?

If they were particularly tricky to press in it could be that they just need inserting a few times to get them 'acclimatised', so to speak, to the slot so that they're making full contact.

Conversely, if they slotted in too easily they may not be making full contact with slot 2.

Hmmm, I'd say firmer than the old ram. It's a very interesting thought thank you, before I RMA them ill slip them in and out a few times to see what happens ( ooo eerrr missus).

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom