LED Headlights

Associate
I currently drive a Mini Cooper 5 door on a 65 plate and have already swapped the factory standard lamp for some Philips X-Treme vision ones, but was wondering if it would be worth it / beneficial / foolish to now swap these for some H4 LED units?

If it is, what are peoples recommendations, both for fitting, being error free and also light output and probably the most important one of being legal too.

Cheers

Associate
being legal
Cheers
I don't believe any aftermarket LED bulbs are actually legal.

As for light output, I think the general consensus is they're brighter, but don't throw the light as far.

I'd imagine the Mini has projector lenses so you'd probably get away with having HIDs in there. But again, they're not legal and just depends on the MOT tester you get.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
The posts about blinding other road users is bs, unless you don't position the LED correctly in the headlight housing and get it adjusted at a garage. Running set of LED's in both cars and no one has yet flashed me...

One has projectors and the other doesn't.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have read that LED are bright (to look at) but not so bright from the drivers seat. Pretty sure the same source of info said HID's were more effective (in the correct housing).

May have been on here that I read it. Can't remember.

Man of Honour
I have read that LED are bright (to look at) but not so bright from the drivers seat. Pretty sure the same source of info said HID's were more effective (in the correct housing).

My 5 Series has Xenon lights, my partners Mini has LED lights and if anything the Mini is better. It is certainly no worse.

Associate
OE LED installs have LED arrays mounted on fan-cooled heatsinks and optimised optics.
Aftermarket LEDs are bogus. At best they have some aluminium mesh at the back to spread out like petals, and the reflector and lens are not optimised for the position or beam of the LEDs.

Soldato
LED (and Xenon) OEM headlights are really expensive. Cheap aftermarket kits shoved in housing meant for halogens just don't cut it really and they can be dangerous, which is why they were banned.

I had a mini till recently with them bulbs, when switching cars I specifically said to dealers I needed to test them at night (well dark) as I needed to test the cars.
I went with Audi in the end, as I basically found no real difference between manufacturers, although some seemed nigh on blue for some reason which I found wasnt as good, but that could just be me. Easy fix to change the "temperature" of the lihgt
My conclusion was LED/Xenon pretty much no diff, same clear cutoff of light etc The only advantage I could really see was with the shaping etc that some of the LEDs will do, although always an extra at this point I think (don't quote me on every manufacturer)

Going back to the bulbs you have vs my new car, there is more light from xenons /leds which is mainly outside the main driving line so you get a better wider view, just feels like you can see more but the distance if anything feels more marked at the cutoff point as its so distinct rather than kind of fading out you seem to get with Halogen. Those philips I found kind of created a focused area a decent distance in front of the car which was clearly brighter. Felt more like you were aiming at a point all the time subconciously.

Driving down unlit country roads as i do (which is why the lights were part of buying a car for me) I am almost tempted to say the Philips xtreme were better. When there is oncoming traffic however the wider spread of the xenons/leds makes it easier to keep your bearings so to speak as you have a wider field of view rather than a narrow one with halogens.

Ive seen some testing on the LED replacements for H4 etc. As they are technically illegal in the UK no mainstream manufacturer seems to sell them. When you go to the imported ones you run into quality issues it seems. The main guy I saw testing them was in a TVR as they had woeful lights. He was doing in properly with the proper gear. Some he never managed to align properly, some he did, he did say he was repeatedly flashed with people assuming the full beam was on even when it wasnt and when the bulbs were properly aligned.

Soldato
You can definitely tell the difference between the Xenons in the CLS and the LEDs in the A Class (LED seems better). Maybe it's just an age related difference though. It's not as stark as the difference between Halogen and Xenon.

Will be interesting (expensive) if we have to deal with age related performance degradation of LED headlamp units. Not quite as simple as changing a bulb...

Soldato
Aftermarket LEDs typically appear brighter but can often have a much shorter throw, so they're actually less useful. That and the fact that most of them are utter garbage, incorrectly advertised and usually incorrectly specified as well... I'd avoid, myself.

Soldato
Will be interesting (expensive) if we have to deal with age related performance degradation of LED headlamp units. Not quite as simple as changing a bulb...

Indeed.

Also, since experiencing LED headlights (VAG), I've come to the conclusion that I do not like them. There is such a thing as having too bright dipped headlights. They're so bright with such a cut off that I find it's actually worse for visibility.
Not just because of the brightness and the cut-off of your own lights, but the brightness of others around. Your eyes are adjusted to the bright light and I am adamant that this impairs your vision at night.

Main/High beam is extraordinary though. Maybe I would like to see a regulation on lumen output on dipped. Or bring back yellow lights.

The Audi Matrix is apparently pretty good. But again, this isn't helping other drivers.

Last edited:
Soldato
As an aside, I've found that those with older eyes find the output from LEDs less visible than conventional bulbs - anyone else noticed this? Few of my associates find LED torches annoyingly useless as a result.

Soldato
The pistonheads thread is interesting suggesting
legally LED>2000 lumens need washers/self-levelling (sealed units excepted) - is that because it is dirt that gives undesired beam deflection ?
Philips Ultinon aftermarket were not ce qualified sep17 - are there any aftermarket bulbs that are ?
The H4 comparison video shows how much light actually comes out despite these 6000/10000 lumens claims -lol

Running set of LED's in both cars and no one has yet flashed me...
there are so many cars with poorly adjusted/illegal bulbs, would be flashing all the time and annoy considerate road users also approaching.

Back
Top Bottom