Can someone tell what's a "good price" for each component

MrH

MrH

Associate
I want to upgrade my PC but I'm so out of the loop on pricing and I have no idea what constitutes a good deal anymore, so I'm hoping someone can help me. I've added the parts I want to ************, HotUKDeals ETC and I'd like to know at what price range I should pull the trigger.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Missed out "me" from the title, oops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Yea we can't post links to competitors websites for obvious reasons.

Best advice is to decide what your maximum budget is and spend that. There are certain parts of the PC that you have to have no matter what. Power supply, case, hard drive etc. Say you want to set aside £200 for the basics. After that you just buy what you can afford.

MrH

MrH

Associate
OP
Sorry I wasn't asking you to post competitors links, more along the lines of:

DDR4 2666MHz good price = £150
GTX 1070ti good price = £400 etc

Just so I know when to pull the trigger if I see the component for that price.

£1000 would be perfect. 1080p/144Hz gaming, modern games so not esports. I know the 1070ti, 1080, 1080ti are the only real cards than can hit the 100 - 144fps sweet spot in newer games.

I will be reusing my Samsung 850 EVO 500GB and my H45 CPU cooler, everything else will be bought (not including peripherals).

Associate
The problem you have is that at the moment, thanks to demand, the only time you're likely to see a good price on the GPU's you mention or memory is during a sale. And if the recent spike in GPU prices is to be believed it'll be a while before we see a "must buy now" level of opportunity. All depends on crypto currency trends.

Soldato
Sorry I wasn't asking you to post competitors links, more along the lines of:

DDR4 2666MHz good price = £150
GTX 1070ti good price = £400 etc

Just so I know when to pull the trigger if I see the component for that price.

£1000 would be perfect. 1080p/144Hz gaming, modern games so not esports. I know the 1070ti, 1080, 1080ti are the only real cards than can hit the 100 - 144fps sweet spot in newer games.

I will be reusing my Samsung 850 EVO 500GB and my H45 CPU cooler, everything else will be bought (not including peripherals).

doesnt matter what you were asking, you still cant link another site like that even when asking for help, is what they were implying.

that site not always the best to go with, but if you going coffee lake then you need 3000mhz ram atleast and on this site is only £50 something more and as for the 1070ti, its a fair price even for the Zon, however that particular model isnt listed on ocuk website to compare with so i guess it be a case of 'your call' .

if you hadnt noticed from your link, you need to add a cooler for the processor.

MrH

MrH

Associate
OP
doesnt matter what you were asking, you still cant link another site like that even when asking for help, is what they were implying.

that site not always the best to go with, but if you going coffee lake then you need 3000mhz ram atleast and on this site is only £50 something more and as for the 1070ti, its a fair price even for the Zon, however that particular model isnt listed on ocuk website to compare with so i guess it be a case of 'your call' .

if you hadnt noticed from your link, you need to add a cooler for the processor.

I already said I'd be reusing my H45 cooler. And why do I need 3000MHz RAM? I've been looking at benchmarks and the difference in gaming between 2666MHz - 3200MHz is usually around 0-4fps, that's definitely not worth the cost IMO.

Soldato
I already said I'd be reusing my H45 cooler. And why do I need 3000MHz RAM? I've been looking at benchmarks and the difference in gaming between 2666MHz - 3200MHz is usually around 0-4fps, that's definitely not worth the cost IMO.

not everything is about FPS, its the fact like with ryzen, they have been designed to run better and more efficient with 3000+ ram, going with slow ram be like choking the system.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Edited your link. Please be careful about the posting of competitors, it gets you banned.

Soldato
Nope, I'll just try to work it out myself as no one seems interested in actually helping. Cheers anyway.
Calm down, it was clearly just a joke.

Problem is no one can really tell 'you' what's a good price. You have to work that out for yourself, i.e. What you are willing to pay.
I could tell you that the current Ryzen line up is really well priced, you run off and buy it and next week it gets a big price drop in readiness for zen+. Start a fresh thread with a 'spec me' title. State your budget, all the parts you need (e.g. OS keyboard mouse? Etc) and what your needs are - gaming, encoding, work etc.
Someone will quickly spec you up a list of parts then feel free to price check them elsewhere. Don't forget though if you're mainland U.K. you'll get free shipping (I think) which might make a cheaper competitor less cheap. For the sake of a few quid I'd suggest sticking with OcUK purely for their customer support which is IMO second to none.

Soldato
Nope, I'll just try to work it out myself as no one seems interested in actually helping. Cheers anyway.

There's helping and there's what you're asking us to do - search around for the cheapest prices to buy your equipment. You could do that just as easily yourself.

Soldato
Prices are transient, GPUs and Ram are especially expensive at the moment.

Value also depends entirely on what's important to you.

• Do you want it to look awesome?
  • Do you want simple and elegant, or gaudy RGB?
  • What is the purpose of the unit?
  • What monitor are you running?
  • How often do you like to upgrade?
A budget and the Pcs purpose would be a more relevant question. Not trying to say you're wrong or be controversial, but what's the point of listing every potential component, case and peripheral and a good price for it?

And frankly the no competitor link isn't really a hamstring, there's only two other suppliers I ever use, and I buy everything I can from OC. Their prices are fair, support excellent and community superb.

MrH

MrH

Associate
OP
I thought this. I don't think OP meant it to be like this, but this is basically what he is asking for us to do.
There's helping and there's what you're asking us to do - search around for the cheapest prices to buy your equipment. You could do that just as easily yourself.

That's not what I wanted at all, I just wanted someone with knowledge of current prices to tell me what's considered a decent deal now, and I would do all the searching myself. I thought this would be a 2 minute task for anyone in the know.

I ended up going for:

Intel i5 8600k
Patriot Viper 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
Asus Prime A Z370
EVGA G2 650W
NZXT S340
140mm Artic case fans x2
Noctua NT-H1 thermal compound
£727.09

I'll be reusing my H45 water cooler, Samsung EVO 850 SSD and GTX 970 until I can grab a 1070ti for a decent(ish) price.

Soldato
I ended up going for:

Intel i5 8600k
Patriot Viper 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
Asus Prime A Z370
EVGA G2 650W
NZXT S340
140mm Artic case fans x2
Noctua NT-H1 thermal compound
£727.09

I'll be reusing my H45 water cooler, Samsung EVO 850 SSD and GTX 970 until I can grab a 1070ti for a decent(ish) price.

Cool.

What was your old spec? Did you consider Ryzen?

MrH

MrH

Associate
OP
Cool.

What was your old spec? Did you consider Ryzen?

Old spec is in my signature. I considered Ryzen for a second but after looking at gaming benchmarks they were just too far behind Intel. I'm using a 144Hz monitor so I really want to be pushing 100+fps as often as possible and Intel just does that better.

Soldato
Old spec is in my signature. I considered Ryzen for a second but after looking at gaming benchmarks they were just too far behind Intel. I'm using a 144Hz monitor so I really want to be pushing 100+fps as often as possible and Intel just does that better.

I think you'll find the gap has closed and the only difference is at low settings 1080p.

Anyhoo I'm delighted you're pleased, I'm on mobile so I can't see your sig.

Back
Top Bottom