Average cost - licence + gear

Soldato
Flare Audio ear plugs are around that price I've got a pair and they're great so much more comfortable than disposable ones I've tried.
They're the ones I have yeah.

Gloves: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mo...GOLiUSSRX1HcntFPV_kHW3ucedhNS8yIaAtO0EALw_wcB

I bought two neck tubes at £15 each, as buying one neck tube for your motorcycling career will end in you stinking.

Boots: https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.s...erproof-Shoes-0002&Currency=GBP&Locale=en_GB- They were cheaper when I bought them.

I can't spot my helmet online at the moment, but it's a Scorpion full-face one.

What's the problem? :confused:

Soldato
Well those look nice but I thought my WR1 GTX A* where expensive at 110. I'd say A* is high end and not 'average', Rukka is extreme high end imho. Looks very nice & snuggly though, i'm jealous :)

It just seems odd as an 'average' that's all :)

Ah i see. Yeah I'm not average, I suppose, but I'm guessing the OP would calculate the mean average of all submissions and he'll have a reasonable idea then, with top and bottom-end submissions.

I spent quite a lot on my gear. :)

Soldato
I spent quite a lot on my gear. :)

You did, but the prices do seem to be all over the place and not where you'd expect the higher prices to be (like helmet for one) etc.

Now that I've passed, here is a breakdown of my costs, bearing in mind that I'd never ridden a bike 6 months ago (plus I failed my mod 1 first time, would have been about £95 less otherwise) and wanted some half decent gear.

Training
CBT: £125
Theory: £23
Mod 1: £573.50 (Test is £15.50 x2 of that)
Mod 2: £467.50 (Test is £75 of that)
Total: £1189

Gear (waterproof)
Jacket: £139.99
Trousers: £109.99
Boots: £149.99
Gloves: £74.99
Total: £474.96

I already had a helmet I bought a few years ago from J&S for a track day in the car (it's a bike helmet and hasn't taken any knocks) and I need to replace it but used it for training anyway, once I decide to get a bike I will spend a sizeable amount on a new, decent helmet (likely with sun glasses flip down as low / bright sun is really annoying).

Training + Gear: £1663.96

When in my gear I'm basically an RST billboard...but I found the gear to be comfy and fit well when I was in store so it seemed like a sensible amount to spend. I could have spent much less by picking up non armoured gear / really basic stuff however I figured I'd rather have some impact and weather protection without going absolutely nuts. Equally, I could have spent much more but I don't plan on getting a bike for the next 6-12 months so spending loads on gear which would have just sat around for some time seemed pointless.
E: Also, I fell off three times when doing mod 1 training in their dedicated mod 1 training area, all my gear held up well each time and didn't show any signs of falling off (didn't donk my lid). Then when I did my Mod 2 it was cold and wet (including flooded dual carriageways) and all the gear kept me warm and dry.

Personally, I see this as £1600 well spent and I am slightly gutted that I never did it 15 years ago when it was cheaper but then I'm also glad in a way as the training received and required these days is much better than I'd have had back then.

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe, it just seems a bit odd to me, spending nearly £400 on a jacket and £300 on trousers but under £200 on a helmet...but then I spent under £150 on each item and I'm not riding every day so I'm not really one to talk. :p

Soldato
For me, £750-£1000 for gear, that's what i could afford at the time anyway. It's roughly this:

Helmet - £250
Gloves - £80
Jacket - £200
Trousers - £150
Boots - £150
Neck tubes - £20
Ear plugs - Pardon?
Total - £850

Soldato
Decided to post here rather than make a new thread. I want to do my DAS but getting kit is currently my biggest barrier to entry.

Any suggestions on shops that would have good stock of 3XL helmets and Size 13 boots?

Soldato
I went cheap on my gear:

Duchinni helmet £35
RST Blade Trousers £120
RST Blade Jacket £100
RST Boots £100
RST gloves £30

Total: £385

I use Molex ear plugs which are fairly cheap and definitely a must.

However, a year or more ago I treated myself to a Nolan N87 helmet after getting my full bike license. That cost £160-£170 when I purchases it and it fits a lot better than my cheap one does.

If I was starting again though, I would spend a bit more and look for Goretex gear. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to wear my gear until they need replacing or until I've got the money to buy Goretex gear.

As for other stuff:

CBT £130
Theory test £19
First 125cc bike £950
125 cc insurance £220
'Big' bike tuition £150
Mod 1 and Mod 2 £90

Granted, it took me 3 attempts to pass my Mod 1, I found the Mod 2 a lot easier as I had practiced on a 125 and passed that first time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Decided to post here rather than make a new thread. I want to do my DAS but getting kit is currently my biggest barrier to entry.

Any suggestions on shops that would have good stock of 3XL helmets and Size 13 boots?

Tried J&S ( https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/ ) ? If they have a store local to you it's worth popping in, makes trying things on much easier to work out what sort of things fit and are comfortable for you etc. You don't have to buy from them, can just try stuff on then buy elsewhere online if cheaper, to be honest, same goes for any physical local store really.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
My mate was given a Duchini lid as a replacement, don't wear it unless when you go down, you don't want to get up again... The lid dropped from shoe shelf onto a fluffy carpet and it cracked...

Back
Top Bottom