Winter 2017/2018 - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Well I haven't had the heating on for a single day this winter, so I've plenty in reserve should it get silly cold.

Working outdoors is another matter though...

Soldato
So it'll be a bit cold with not that much snow for most people then? Apart from the most vulnerable, I'm not sure how dramatic this is really going to be.
Depends where you are. Places along the east including the south east could get a very localised dumping of snow if a North sea streamer sets up over then, this is what gave me just under 2ft of snow in 24hours in Feb 2009 and 2 seperate dumps of around 1ft in Dec 2010 (was at my parents at the time on a hill close to Surrey border)

There's also still a good chance of a large amount of snow over a wider area at the end of the week but we don't know how far north it's going to get yet, it could even stay too far south and miss the UK and get France instead

Soldato
So it'll be a bit cold with not that much snow for most people then? Apart from the most vulnerable, I'm not sure how dramatic this is really going to be.

Colder than average for end of Feb/March and probably blizzards in the East which will likely cause a lot of disruption, I'm sure we all know how fragile our infrastructure is when it comes to a bit of snow

Associate
I am in Newcastle upon Tyne...from what I have been reading it seems we may get a prolonged spell of snow...but this differs depending what article you read...obviously I don’t believe a word the express writes but I am not as clued up as you guys on the models you look at despite my best efforts!

Man of Honour
Just be aware that the BBC Forecasts are no longer supported by the Met Office! It is now owned by a EURO company :/ So far they have been very bad with temps way off, last week saying for next week " mostly dry " or " wintry showers "

Yeah previous to the change the BBC more often than not nailed the weather where I live and it was in a very easy to read at a glance format - the new stuff so far has only been so-so accurate and harder to read format.

Man of Honour
Over a few hours the GEM has gone from showing -17C in the early hours of the 4th to 5C where I live - I'm not sure which I believe.

A lot of models are at odds with each other past the 27th now having previously has good agreement - something has gone a bit wrong somewhere heh. I'm wondering if we are starting to see a heavier bias from past trends hitting the March data or something with the relatively mild previous years skewing the output.

Soldato
Looks like we are in for a repeat of the snow at the end of November here if the forecasts are to be believed. Clouds "just passing" outside today have that indistinct outline of a good snow cloud.

Man of Honour
Who do you believe Met office is totally different to BBC, BBC now looks like it snowmaggedon inbound next four days here

Hard to know right now beyond the initial cold plunge there is a lot of disagreement now beyond that aside from that there seems to be some disruption in the pattern in about 4 days that the different models have different takes on.

Man of Honour
Yeah depends how fast this low from France travels north. At the moment it moves quite quickly so wouldn't be much snow here.

BBC seems to think it will slow down as it hits the channel giving us potentially a couple of days of blizzard like conditions before the mild influx - that would be fine with me - it stops being a novelty after that anyhow.

Soldato
BBC seems to think it will slow down as it hits the channel giving us potentially a couple of days of blizzard like conditions before the mild influx - that would be fine with me - it stops being a novelty after that anyhow.

Bbc had been forecasting light snow from Monday to Friday here. Yesterday it changed to just Thursday and Friday. Now forecasting rain. Exactly how i called it a few days ago. I expect everywhere north of Winchester will get hit pretty hard end of the week. Only hope we got now is the cold front halts the warmer coming up from France.

Man of Honour
Bbc had been forecasting light snow from Monday to Friday here. Yesterday it changed to just Thursday and Friday. Now forecasting rain. Exactly how i called it a few days ago. I expect everywhere north of Winchester will get hit pretty hard end of the week. Only hope we got now is the cold front halts the warmer coming up from France.

BBC still predicting mostly dry through to Wed night for me then continuous light snow from late Wed through Thurs and into early Friday when it starts to turn to sleet and then warm up :s

GEM is going nuts between cold and warm though - the latest update its push deep cold again 3rd/4th but now for the East Midlands.

Soldato
really enjoying this sun we are having ,strong enough to make a difference now 70 degrees in room 5.20 pm without heating ,so saving my oil . had some awesome surf recently with the offshore winds ,polzeath was so much fun today .

Soldato
BBC still predicting mostly dry through to Wed night for me then continuous light snow from late Wed through Thurs and into early Friday when it starts to turn to sleet and then warm up :s

GEM is going nuts between cold and warm though - the latest update its push deep cold again 3rd/4th but now for the East Midlands.

Where you to?

I keep hearing the south on Friday looks like it could get blizzards as the rain and wind moves up from France, but I expect that to be rain here then turn to snow as it pushes up past maybe Winchester/Andover. Thats what usually happens. Sucks down here for snow. We cant even get it when its forecasted haha.

Might round up family in the car and drive to it on Saturday just to savior it for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom