Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
Just had a little (literally 5 models a side) battle to show my son how the game works.

Got the Nurgle codex and it bangs on about how tough plague marines are, blah blah blah, well imagine my surprise when Death Guard have 1 wound and Space Marines 2 :confused: called BS and houseruled the plague marines to 2 wounds for my son :p

Man of Honour
Just had a little (literally 5 models a side) battle to show my son how the game works.

Got the Nurgle codex and it bangs on about how tough plague marines are, blah blah blah, well imagine my surprise when Death Guard have 1 wound and Space Marines 2 :confused: called BS and houseruled the plague marines to 2 wounds for my son :p
IIRC they now have a 4+ invulnerable save instead... or can roll to shrug off wounds... or something! :p

Soldato
Yeah we tested it and they mauled the Marines just now :D

They have 5 toughness so harder to wound in the first place, then their power armour save and then a 5+ invulnerable save to shrug off wounds :p

Lesson learned GW know better than me :D

Man of Honour
Yeah we tested it and they mauled the Marines just now :D

They have 5 toughness so harder to wound in the first place, then their power armour save and then a 5+ invulnerable save to shrug off wounds :p

Lesson learned GW know better than me :D
I’m not entirely sure without re-reading the wounds but I think you can usually choose the normal save OR the invulnerable save... but not sure if plaguenmarines get both. Depends if it’s an invulnerable save or a seperate special rule. I know one of my models can shrug off all wounds on a 5+ after his normal save.

Off to pick up some supplies now :)

Man of Honour
It also works on mortal wounds, so makes the death guard pretty damned resilient!
Indeed - why won’t you die!! Bjorn the fell handed (space wolves) has the same ability hence him sneaking into my army :D

Have assembled the bulk of my army now - just waiting for weather to prime them.... then perhaps I can actually play a game!!! *shock*

Soldato
Yes - that’s right. Having just looked at the rules, death guard can shrug off each wound suffered on 5 or 6 :)

Not as such.

You roll for your save if you pass all well and good. However if you fail your save or if you can't make the save due to the negative effect of the weapon shooting at you, then need to do a Disgusting Resilience roll for each damage the weapon does.

You have a 3+ save and 3 wounds and you are shot at with a weapon that is -4 D3 Damage, you can not save it, so you move to the DR save, where you roll upto D3 dice and every 5 or 6 will shrug off the damage, so if the D3 comes out as two and you only roll one 5 then you loose a wound.

However as damage does not roll over in 8th, you need to roll DR for each models worth of damage, so if 5 guys shot at you but only 3 managed to wound you, you need to roll those three separately.

Hope that helps

Man of Honour
Not as such.

You roll for your save if you pass all well and good. However if you fail your save or if you can't make the save due to the negative effect of the weapon shooting at you, then need to do a Disgusting Resilience roll for each damage the weapon does.

You have a 3+ save and 3 wounds and you are shot at with a weapon that is -4 D3 Damage, you can not save it, so you move to the DR save, where you roll upto D3 dice and every 5 or 6 will shrug off the damage, so if the D3 comes out as two and you only roll one 5 then you loose a wound.

However as damage does not roll over in 8th, you need to roll DR for each models worth of damage, so if 5 guys shot at you but only 3 managed to wound you, you need to roll those three separately.

Hope that helps
Yes, that mirrors (and affirms) my understanding :)

I do think they are a little scrappy / inconsistent in the rules with the usuage of ‘wounds’ and ‘damage’. It would be much better if they clearly stated ‘you roll to save against a wound, and if not saved against, the wound translates to damage (i.e for example, one wound by one gun causes D6 damage). That is what I think it is supposed to say, or what it used to say back in the day, but they seem to have dropped the distinction.

So yes, I meant you roll to save against each ‘unit of damage’ suffered, not each ‘wound suffered’.

Soldato
Yes, that mirrors (and affirms) my understanding :)

I do think they are a little scrappy / inconsistent in the rules with the usuage of ‘wounds’ and ‘damage’. It would be much better if they clearly stated ‘you roll to save against a wound, and if not saved against, the wound translates to damage (i.e for example, one wound by one gun causes D6 damage). That is what I think it is supposed to say, or what it used to say back in the day, but they seem to have dropped the distinction.

So yes, I meant you roll to save against each ‘unit of damage’ suffered, not each ‘wound suffered’.

I know what you mean, also doesn't help when both 40K and AoS do it in different ways, in AoS damage carries over through the models where it does not in 40K so using multi damage weapons on a single one wound model is a total waste.

Luckily GW are getting better with the FAQ and Errata process now

Soldato
I've had trouble in the few games of 8th I've played on the distinction between the wound and damage saves, the way you have described it is a good explanation.

The first game I played against my friends Orks, we hadn't read the rules properly so I shot a 8 man squad of Kill-a-Kans with a unit of Lascannon devastators, and he spread the damage from each wound across the unit so he didn't take any casualties (when in fact I should have killed 2 Kans). We both said it didn't feel right but played the game out anyways, afterwards we read the rules again and realised we had got it wrong!

Soldato
My.next 10 death guard turned up :D

Really heavily converted so look pretty unique. Got 2 Plagurbearer s left to finish then 10 death guard. Keep getting itchy to buy more before I finish what I have :p

Soldato
Dat forgebane set.... dem Armiger Warglaives!!! Have no use for the Necrons though :(

Yep exactly the same boat as me, really want the Armiger's and I could use the admech bits but no need for the Necrons. I could try and sell them but I imagine a lot of people will be doing the same.

I'm assuming the Armiger's will be sold seperately in the future, from what I've been reading they would sell like absolute hotcakes.

Man of Honour
Yep exactly the same boat as me, really want the Armiger's and I could use the admech bits but no need for the Necrons. I could try and sell them but I imagine a lot of people will be doing the same.

I'm assuming the Armiger's will be sold seperately in the future, from what I've been reading they would sell like absolute hotcakes.
Yup - that 14” move!!!

Tbh I already have an insano ‘rush’ line up ready to go. Just got to build them all... takes soooooo long. The idea of making anything else always makes me feel ill :D

Man of Honour
Oooooooo sounds interesting, what do you have int he list?
I’m going long range with the admech kastelan robots and dunecrawlers, then for the rush with space Wolf dreads - Bjorn, murderfang and the blizzdred. Just rush them in - nothing can survive surely? :p

Back
Top Bottom