Man of Honour

these guys are awesome, very much copycat of the original, but more advanced lots of stone building.
be cool if there was a series of them, need like bronze age and the other ages as well.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure "primitive" is the right word. They're using concrete(*). They're using locally sourced materials that would be free. They're using their own labour and tools they made themselves from locally sourced materials. So they would have a decent house well suited to the local weather which cost them no money. Is that more or less primitive than spending 25 years short of money to pay for a house or a lifetime short of money to pay for rent or, increasingly common in this country nowadays, never being able to afford a house of your own? I wouldn't do it because I like having plumbing, sewerage and electricity, but I'd hesitate to call the building itself "primitive". Also, those things could be added to some extent although you'd definitely need modern technology for electricity. Not necessarily grid - solar panels and an array of batteries would probably work quite well in that part of the world. I don't know where they are, but that vegetation is not what grows in a cold climate.

* I haven't watched the earlier videos in the series that presumably explain it in more detail, but given that they're using it like concrete, it acts like concrete (note the temporary supports at the base of the roof - the stuff obviously sets over time) and the building is referred to as "Roman" in the description, I'm assuming that it's Roman concrete. Lime mortar and aggregate - give it time to absorb carbon dioxide from the air and you've got very strong stone, i.e. it's concrete.

[..]
be cool if there was a series of them, need like bronze age and the other ages as well.

That wouldn't be significantly different in the context of building things. The tools would be more durable, but that's pretty much it in this sort of context until you get much closer to modern times. Even as recently as late medieval period, metal wasn't really used in housing. Latches and hinges and some items inside houses, but nothing structural. Not even in places like England, which was rich, organised, well developed and had lots of iron ore and many skilled smiths. Bronze and iron ages even less so. Decades back, the BBC did a series in which volunteers lived with only late iron age technology for over a year, isolated in an iron age village. In an interview afterwards, one of them commented that it would be more accurate to call it wood age because wood was the main material, with iron (actually steel, despite the name) being used almost entirely for working wood.

Caporegime
not sure if this has been posted before but it is quite an interesting speech to watch, obviously a controversial character with perhaps a slightly rose tinted view of the organisation he ran (though he does pay some lip service to the fact it attracted some nasty individuals), he also throws in a few anecdotes that come off a bit like an obvious "I'm not racist, some of my friends are black", but then again in his account of how he got started/where he came from it is also a rather worrying portrayal of the problems in Luton within the Muslim community, the apparent lack of action from the Labour Council and authorities and the seeming double standards... some of the things Tommy and co were trying to draw attention to certainly did turn out to be big problems - from the child rape gangs to the recruitment of people to the extremist side of Islam and ultimately to terrorism. He doesn't across as particularly far right, in fact he quite openly tries to emphasise that he despises them, he comes across as someone who ought to really be a traditional labour supporter, albeit he's dared to express concern about an issue that elements of the left currently like to ignore or are hypersensitive about.

anyway, whatever you may think of him is is worth a watch:

Back
Top Bottom