• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen "2" ?

Soldato
Gone from wanting to swap my 1700 and CH6 for a 2700X and Asrock Taichi Ultimate, to now wanting an Xbox One X lol, as ive just moved house, my PC is basically packed up as ive not set the study up, but i setup my Xbox one for the kids, found myself playing on it more in the evenings than them. As i mostly play ARPG's and MMO's, and Xbox lets me use my KEyboard on ESO, i cant really see a reason to return to my PC gaming right now, hence maybe spend the lesser amount of cash on an Xbox One X and just sit out this round til the new Ryzen 7nm stuff appears.

Currently my 1700 and 1070 perform fine @ 1440p for ESO / Grim Dawn, my main 2 games, incidentally Grim Dawns coming to Xbox so even more reason to probably just go with console gaming for a while lol.

Soldato
So we should see better results on the X470 boards as it looks like his X370 could only run his 3600 memory @ 3533.

Im sat here with a 4770K and 290X chucking so much heat out into my room after playing The Division. Got the cash in the bank and so tempted to just pre order the following.

EVGA 1080 GTX Hybrid
ASUS X470 Prime
Gskill 3600 cas 16 DDR4 16 gig kit
2700X Zen+
Fractal design 240mm AIO cooler
White sleeved cable extension kit.

Got a new case and SSD sat waiting but really want to make sure I get the right memory speed and motherboard so will wait for the reviews.

I would think you would gain more from the GPU upgrade TBH. If I was on a Core i7 4770K I would be looking at 7NM Zen and the Intel equivalent next year.

Associate
I would think you would gain more from the GPU upgrade TBH. If I was on a Core i7 4770K I would be looking at 7NM Zen and the Intel equivalent next year.

I know its not a massive upgrade but current build is Black and Orange themed watercooled build in a big Phantek Enthoo Primo. I have a Fractal design R6 sat waiting for a build and I want to build a Black and White themed build using AIO cooling.

Soldato
I know its not a massive upgrade but current build is Black and Orange themed watercooled build in a big Phantek Enthoo Primo. I have a Fractal design R6 sat waiting for a build and I want to build a Black and White themed build using AIO cooling.

Fair enough,but since I don't upgrade often I tend to prefer the biggest jump I can get away if spending a decent amount of money,unless I can have a smaller upgrade on the cheap!!

Soldato
I went from a 4770k to a 1700 and CH6 in an Enthoo Primo lol, haven't regretted going to the 1700, it's so much more fluid and smoother.

Figure Incan skip this refresh and hang onto my 1070 and see how it is when AMD release a new Zen series and a new high end GPU, stick to XboneX gaming for now on a 4k screen. Got so many console games ive barely played.

Associate
Fair enough,but since I don't upgrade often I tend to prefer the biggest jump I can get away if spending a decent amount of money,unless I can have a smaller upgrade on the cheap!!

Ive been building PC's since the 386sx got released and for years I seemed to be upgrading every 10-18 months but this machine I built in November of 2013 so I am long over due a build.:D

Well to be serious it does go to show improvement on both the hardware and software side of the PC industry has reached a plateau and we need to see some major innovation.

Soldato
Still laugh at overclocking my Dad's 12Mhz 286 to I think 16Mhz. The thing was already faster than most 286, and that made it like a rocket LMAO.

Looking forward to the BIOS situation leveling out, and the true results coming forward. Seems to be a lot of variance in results at present.

Soldato
I'm starting to regret Ryzen myself.

Rough around the edges. Simple things like DOCP settings not working like they should.

Plus for high refresh rate panels the 8700k is better. Of course it came out after the 1700.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive been building PC's since the 386sx got released and for years I seemed to be upgrading every 10-18 months but this machine I built in November of 2013 so I am long over due a build.:D

Well to be serious it does go to show improvement on both the hardware and software side of the PC industry has reached a plateau and we need to see some major innovation.

I used to be that way too,until I got onto Core2 and my 975X SFF rig,first had a Pentium D,then a Core2 Duo and then a Core2 Quad. Lasted nearly 5 years,and I have been on socket 1155 since 2011.I have been on a Xeon E3 1230 V2 since 2014 IIRC.

Permabanned
must. hold. out.
my 3770k is still fine...
aaaaaa...

Look at this guy
I went from a 4770k to a 1700 and CH6 in an Enthoo Primo lol, haven't regretted going to the 1700, it's so much more fluid and smoother.

Figure Incan skip this refresh and hang onto my 1070 and see how it is when AMD release a new Zen series and a new high end GPU, stick to XboneX gaming for now on a 4k screen. Got so many console games ive barely played.

Soldato
I am quite tempted by this again, especially if reviews are positive. The main thing holding me back is, can I wait for Zen 2, if it has a potentially significant upgrade over Zen/+?

There's always going to be something round the corner that might offer bigger and better gains, best bet is to get as powerful a system as you can get your hands on at the point your current system stops performing - I think that going HEDT is always worth the bit extra in costs especially if you like to keep a system for 4-5 years and just do a mid life GFX card upgrade

Soldato
There's always going to be something round the corner that might offer bigger and better gains, best bet is to get as powerful a system as you can get your hands on at the point your current system stops performing - I think that going HEDT is always worth the bit extra in costs especially if you like to keep a system for 4-5 years and just do a mid life GFX card upgrade

That's my problem. My 2600k performs well still. I know a 2700k would be a great upgrade. But if a year later we see Zen 2 with a hefty speed bump, I may regret Zen+!

Soldato
That's my problem. My 2600k performs well still. I know a 2700k would be a great upgrade. But if a year later we see Zen 2 with a hefty speed bump, I may regret Zen+!
But at least there's a decent chance you can just spend £250 in 18 months / 2 years time and drop a new CPU in.

You could just go a bit mental and buy a TR system - my last desktop system before I got my 1950X was a socket 775! I don't think I'll 'need' to upgrade until about 2020 at minimum :)

Associate
But at least there's a decent chance you can just spend £250 in 18 months / 2 years time and drop a new CPU in.

You could just go a bit mental and buy a TR system - my last desktop system before I got my 1950X was a socket 775! I don't think I'll 'need' to upgrade until about 2020 at minimum :)

Yeah this path has tempted me I love the look of the Gigabyte X399 Designare board but in November I want to go an a no expense spared trip to Thailand thats going to cost a few ££££ so will stick to the Zen+ build also It don't do any content creation so the extra cores would be wasted on me.

Zen2 should still be on the same AM4 platform no?

Yeah AMD have said they will use the same socket until around 2020.

Soldato
Yeah this path has tempted me I love the look of the Gigabyte X399 Designare board but in November I want to go an a no expense spared trip to Thailand thats going to cost a few ££££ so will stick to the Zen+ build also It don't do any content creation so the extra cores would be wasted on me

That Gigabyte board is really good looking piece of kit.

Did Thailand for 2 weeks in November - definitely worth deferring a PC build for - fantastic place!

Back
Top Bottom