Interview attire?

Soldato
It's always a bit risky to be under-dressed for an interview. Whilst some may look completely past not wearing a suit (or shirt/tie/trousers/shoes), others may see it as a lack of effort on your behalf and may be less warming to you.

I never see what the issue is, most development roles have casual attire - i've never worn a suit in my 6 years. So to wear a suit for one day is hardly effort.

Soldato
I went to one interview where they told me to just "dress casual". So I went in jeans, T-shirt and trainers. Got the job right after the interview :D This was at a games developer maybe 12-13 years ago.

For my current job the only time I've worn a suit is for the interview. There's no dress code (well, a string vest and sandals might not be acceptable). I don't know why non-customer facing jobs even still have them tbh.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think for a creative agency where you know full well what the environment is like you could look a bit silly turning up in a suit. Maybe 10 years ago I'd have still said turn up in a suit anyway because it's an interview but I think potentially the impression you'd give if you did so is that you're a bit clueless. If you have a recruiter then ask them. If it is for a 'creative' role then I'd definitely avoid, if it for some business role then "smart casual".

Soldato
Ask the recruiter to see what they suggest, if you're using one?

I would actually go against wearing a suit in this case, trousers and a shirt would be fine if it's a creative agency, even your GF's suggestion is fine. They generally won't care what you're wearing (unless you turn up in Sports Direct's finest tracksuit attire...)

This tbh,

I wouldn't wear a suit for anything creative or design based in or around London unless I was told to specifically, but ask the recruiter to be sure - sometimes these employers are looking for a good cultural fit - turning up in a suit isn't always the best idea. (case in point, at my last job interview for a massive game company, I was told to wear anything other than a suit - ended up going in a hoody and jeans :p )

Soldato
I think for a creative agency where you know full well what the environment is like you could look a bit silly turning up in a suit. Maybe 10 years ago I'd have still said turn up in a suit anyway because it's an interview but I think potentially the impression you'd give if you did so is that you're a bit clueless. If you have a recruiter then ask them. If it is for a 'creative' role then I'd definitely avoid, if it for some business role then "smart casual".

Yep, it can be a risk these days. If you wear to much bling and look a bit stiff when the staff are super-casual, they might think you won't fit the workplace.

I think some say dress down for the interview to test your confidence, those who aren't confident will probably still wear a suit just in case.

Soldato
If you wear a suit, whats the worst that can happen?

If you don't wear a suit and it gets noticed......

I wear trainers, jeans, t-shirts/hoody when I'm not with a client and in the office. Never seen anybody turn up for an interview in anything other than at least trousers, shirt and tie. (IT Software)

Soldato
I would ask them. The interview for my current job specifically said not to turn up in a suit because I'd be the only person in a suit and look really out of place.

It depends on the business really. Startup/tech companies generally don't want people turning up in suits I've found.

Soldato
lol at the people saying "always wear a suit". Did you not read where the OP said it was a creative digital marketing agency? :confused:

This for sure. You'll look like a royal plum turning up to an interview like this in a suit (assuming the role is not part of the finance team, or an SVP+ role. It would definitely count against you, as it shows a lack of experience in that sort of working environment. And lack of knowledge on the sorts of people you'll be working with.

If you wear a suit, whats the worst that can happen?
As above. You'll look clueless.

I've worked in the film industry for 11 years and have never worn a suit to an interview. Generally I would go with smarter casual boots (chukka/desert boots), good jeans, nice plain/smart shirt tucked in. Funnily enough all the interviews in my career have been on sweltering summers days so I've left it at that, but if you wanted to go one-up you could chuck a smart blazer/sports jacket over the top.

EDIT: I checked out my account on Thread and this is what it recommended for a job interview :p
1uS2lvr.png

I would stick with the smarter boot, and darker jeans personally.

Soldato
I'd say suit, demonstrates your willing and able to look smart and presentable when the situation requires (for example if you had to do meetings with clients).

As others have said better to be over dressed than under dressed.

Soldato
Hey guys,

Quick question what would you wear for an interview at a creative (web/digital marketing) company?
A suit.

It doesn't matter what the companies dress policy is, you're going for a job interview not a days work, would you turn up to an interview with a high street PC retailer wearing a purple polo shirt?

Back
Top Bottom