50-50 willed house to me and Bro, but who owns Train collection ?

Associate
Does your brother disagree that your disabled brother was the intended recipient of the train set? Seems a bit mean spirited of him to insist of half the proceeds if he was aware of your fathers wishes.

(also thanks for that clarification about your brothers...I'll admit I was a little confused on the issue)

Associate
OP
Does your brother disagree that your disabled brother was the intended recipient of the train set? Seems a bit mean spirited of him to insist of half the proceeds if he was aware of your fathers wishes.

(also thanks for that clarification about your brothers...I'll admit I was a little confused on the issue)

In a word, yes,as my younger brother thinks the home and social services etc are providing enough for my brothers “keep”

Well, the care home requires what is called”top-up”fees of £160 per month between me, my younger brother and my two sisters. £40 apiece ? Nope. My sisters and my younger brother initially agreed (via contract)to pay this £40 each, but after he was in the home for a month, they (all of them) said they could only do £20 per month (now) which leaves me having to pay £100 per month top up with the rest being made up of £20 each younger brother and two sisters. I’m going along with this thus far but kinda feel “put-on”‍♀️

Thanks.

Permabanned
if it's agreed via contract then get it from them .. on the train set .. well it's your disabled brothers .. you heard your father talking about it so make it happen
what you could do is release your younger brother from the contract by stating the sale of the train stuff go's to your disabled brothers upkeep .. 7k will do a few yrs ..
then take the rest of them to court for the money they owe and future payments ..
family not worth the time ...
my mum asked me if I want half the house when she go's .. said no split it among the grand kids

Soldato
Sell the train stuff to fund your disabled brothers housing costs, if your younger brother is only coughing up £20 a week, even after the inheritance, why the hell would he think he's entitled to half of a train set. Jesus I'm so glad I'm an only child.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

In a word, yes,as my younger brother thinks the home and social services etc are providing enough for my brothers “keep”

Well, the care home requires what is called”top-up”fees of £160 per month between me, my younger brother and my two sisters. £40 apiece ? Nope. My sisters and my younger brother initially agreed (via contract)to pay this £40 each, but after he was in the home for a month, they (all of them) said they could only do £20 per month (now) which leaves me having to pay £100 per month top up with the rest being made up of £20 each younger brother and two sisters. I’m going along with this thus far but kinda feel “put-on”‍♀️

Thanks.

What happens if you don't pay?

Soldato
Sell the train stuff to fund your disabled brothers housing costs, if your younger brother is only coughing up £20 a week, even after the inheritance, why the hell would he think he's entitled to half of a train set. Jesus I'm so glad I'm an only child.

I'd agree with this.

Sorry for putting things bluntly but your younger brother sounds like a greedy ****. If he can't afford (or more likely wasn't willing) to contribute to the disabled brothers living costs, then it seems fair and a good thing to do, to sell the train set to help fund it.

They do say money in these situations certainly reveals peoples true colours.

Soldato
Thanks.
But if i sold them to a collector, (thanks trusty) could i put the money towards my brother who’s in a care home? For expenses? (New chair, TV for his Bedroom etc) My younger brother disagrees with this but thought THAT would be fair.

Thnaks.
If he is going to make your life difficult, and as you (sensibly) don't want to involve solicitors, ask him if he would be willing to take 25% and let you donate 75% towards your disabled brothers welfare.

Out of interest what is happening with the house, if you father died 11 years ago, has it just sat empty all that time ?

Associate
OP
if it's agreed via contract then get it from them .. on the train set .. well it's your disabled brothers .. you heard your father talking about it so make it happen
what you could do is release your younger brother from the contract by stating the sale of the train stuff go's to your disabled brothers upkeep .. 7k will do a few yrs ..
then take the rest of them to court for the money they owe and future payments ..
family not worth the time ...
my mum asked me if I want half the house when she go's .. said no split it among the grand kids

It was, and Would My intention to make sure my disabled brother (he’s 61) gets all thats required from the home. Initially it wasn’t my decision to let him go in a home as was able to care for him (very hard. Very, but would have done it. But it seems, (as you can probably gather), that my family “soap-softed” me by offering the full top up fees of £40 each, but have now regressed and can only do “£20” each. It wouldn’t hurt so bad if my eldest sister hadn’t just gone on a £8000 cruise to florida 3 months after my disabled brother admission into home. But having discussed this cruise with my younger brother he said they are entitled to spend there pensions as they like. True. But considering this cruise holiday I’m wondering how £20 per month would be hard to find. I hate family rows, but to keep the peace, it seems I’ve go to “pay” for it

thanks.

Soldato
"Hi Sis, I'm confused, you said you can only afford £20 a month (LOL) to pay for our brother but you're currently on an £8,000 cruise, don't you think that's taking the **** a bit? Cheers"

Caporegime
It was, and Would My intention to make sure my disabled brother (he’s 61) gets all thats required from the home. Initially it wasn’t my decision to let him go in a home as was able to care for him (very hard. Very, but would have done it. But it seems, (as you can probably gather), that my family “soap-softed” me by offering the full top up fees of £40 each, but have now regressed and can only do “£20” each. It wouldn’t hurt so bad if my eldest sister hadn’t just gone on a £8000 cruise to florida 3 months after my disabled brother admission into home. But having discussed this cruise with my younger brother he said they are entitled to spend there pensions as they like. True. But considering this cruise holiday I’m wondering how £20 per month would be hard to find. I hate family rows, but to keep the peace, it seems I’ve go to “pay” for it

thanks.

what happens if you stop paying it too, ask one of them to sort the payments going forwards and say you're willing to pay £20 too..

tbh.. it sounds like the proceeds from selling the model railway could be used to cover these monthly payments you'd then not have to worry about them for a few years perhaps... and/or indeed cover your shortfall from having to make up the other's contributions

Soldato
What happens if you don't pay?

The home serve notice and social service attempt to find a cheaper placement which doesn't require top up. At least that's what happens in my home County. That's if the topup is considered a "lifestyle choice" i.e. the brother is fully funded by social services who could provided a placement at their benchmark but the decision was made by family to opt for a more expensive placement which can happen for various reasons.

Associate
OP
If he is going to make your life difficult, and as you (sensibly) don't want to involve solicitors, ask him if he would be willing to take 25% and let you donate 75% towards your disabled brothers welfare.

Out of interest what is happening with the house, if you father died 11 years ago, has it just sat empty all that time ?

That 25%/75% consideration seems ok to me. Not sure if brother would accept but will ask him. There are my to sisters too who would probably want to claim something, even if the house wasn’t willed to them in part.

The house is occupied by me. I live in the house i was born in - still !

Caporegime
That 25%/75% consideration seems ok to me. Not sure if brother would accept but will ask him. There are my to sisters too who would probably want to claim something, even if the house wasn’t willed to them in part.

The house is occupied by me. I live in the house i was born in - still !

25/75 makes no sense, if it was supposed to be left to your bother then you should probably use the proceeds to just pay for his care - especially if the other siblings are dodging having to pay towards that

though do you pay rent to your brother if he owns 50% of the house but doesn't live there or is he entitled to move a tenant or tenants into the other rooms... presumably at some point you'd have to sell it else how does he benefit from his 50% share?

Associate
OP
The home serve notice and social service attempt to find a cheaper placement which doesn't require top up. At least that's what happens in my home County. That's if the topup is considered a "lifestyle choice" i.e. the brother is fully funded by social services who could provided a placement at their benchmark but the decision was made by family to opt for a more expensive placement which can happen for various reasons.
Yes. Well, on the contract it says they would “demote him” to a lesser room/bedroom rather than a different home, and for that, I’m willing to pay the extra top-up fees.
I'd just sell it and split it with my brother....

Edit: Upon reading post. Tell him you are selling it and putting it towards other brothers care fees.

Thanks. My two sisters know little about the model railway items, so could sell without them knowing (or bothering)them. my younger brothers a bit more keen though, and pops in now and again to see what I’m doing - and if there’s anything going then he wants a monetary part of it.

Associate
OP
25/75 makes no sense, if it was supposed to be left to your bother then you should probably use the proceeds to just pay for his care - especially if the other siblings are dodging having to pay towards that

though do you pay rent to your brother if he owns 50% of the house but doesn't live there or is he entitled to move a tenant or tenants into the other rooms... presumably at some point you'd have to sell it else how does he benefit from his 50% share?

Well its difficult really, he’s got his own house (so do my two sisters) and he feels no need to rent/move none in etc, but he was in trouble financing maintenance his daughter years ago(he’s a single father) and told me he could “force a sale”? Not sure.

thnaks.

Soldato
Yes. Well, on the contract it says they would “demote him” to a lesser room/bedroom rather than a different home, and for that, I’m willing to pay the extra top-up fees.

A slightly better situation than being moved but still probably very distressing for your Brother. In my mind I'd say sod them, take it for his topup fees and whatever else he needs and tell your siblings it's to cover the loss of income from the money they've decided would be better spent on holidays. Stick it in a separate bank account earmarked for him so they can't come back and accuse you of spending it on yourself.

Associate
The whole point is that there is no way to prove who the train set is left to. As the house was split 50/50, your only real option is to sell the train set then use your half to spend on your disabled brother's care. However, I would absolutely go to small claims court with the contract and enforce payment from your siblings. They're clearly a bunch of greedy *****.

Back
Top Bottom