• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Threadripper Owners Thread ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 66701
  • Start date
Caporegime
@AMDMatt - what does Agesa 1.0.0.5 address, do you have any details ?
We don't list release notes with Agesa updates so i can't provide you with a change list. At a high level, The BIOS updates generally contains such maintenance releases that help to either stabilize the platform, add new features or increase overall system compatibility.

Each Motherboard vendor can and does make changes to their platform code for various reasons and these are not included in the code delivered by AMD. Questions about any such changes outside of AMD’s code should be directed to the particular supplier of that motherboard or system.

At least you got an update -= Gigabyte X399 is still on Agesa 1.0.0.3 :(

1.0.0.3 is solid, i was using that before 1.0.0.4 and see no major differences in performance. If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it. Once you find a bios update and Agesa that gives you good stability with no issues, i wouldn't recommend changing unless the Motherboard vendor specifically recommends it due to a major bug fix or performance improvement.

Soldato
Refresh dates leaked: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/bluechip-leaks-amd-intel-chipsets-cpus,37001.html

Finally, a refresh for Threadripper simply labeled as "Threadripper Gen 2" and the X399 chipset is set for August.

I expect like AM4 Ryzen refresh this will just provide marginal gains, but new motherboards would be welcome, personally I'm hoping for RDIMM support myself - should let TR hit at least 256GB memory capacity, twice that if any vendor is will to support LRDIMM (current chips would support this - it's purely a motherboard problem).

There's always a chance AMD will up the core count, as 18 core HEDT and higher core count Xeon-W have appeared since the TR release... :D

Fingers crossed for a good summer - I've already started a £200 pm standing order into a savings pot to let me get whatever they put out as long as memory support or thread count go up! (Have been contemplating a Xeon or Epyc build as I need 256gb memory - but will be holding on JIC!)

Caporegime
ZE has newer AGESA 1.0.0.5 UEFIs as well now @AMDMatt, perhaps give them a whirl.

@ketma AGESA updates can also have CPU Microcode updates, SMU and IMC.
Yes updated both my Zenith boards to 1.0.0.5, working very well for me. Only issue is the wake from sleep bug, but that can be resolved by enabling C States. I've ditched overclocking for now as i have my systems on all day so i just let XFR do its thing.

I had to get rid of the Asus X399 Prime board, kept having posting issues on all the available bios versions and no changing of settings would fix it. No probs at all with the zeniths with the same hardware.

Associate
Anyone had any experience with the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 F3j BIOS that was released recently? Early reports on the gigabyte forums are very mixed [http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/4022/beta-bios-aorus-x399-gaming ], with one person saying the mobo was over-volting the CPU significantly...

Only patch note is: "Update AGESA 1.0.0.5"

Has moving to 1.0.0.5 had any impact to other people's RAID 0/1/6 arrays? Not that keen to wipe my RAID 6, but could do with better RAM compatibility.

Soldato
Anyone had any experience with the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 F3j BIOS that was released recently? Early reports on the gigabyte forums are very mixed [http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/4022/beta-bios-aorus-x399-gaming ], with one person saying the mobo was over-volting the CPU significantly...

Has moving to 1.0.0.5 had any impact to other people's RAID 0/1/6 arrays? Not that keen to wipe my RAID 6, but could do with better RAM compatibility.
Re: raid array, if using x399 raid and not external controller or software raid you will loose your array unless already on the BIOS release that introduced NVME raid - though as there are zero release notes for this one I would want a backup anyway tbh!

Kei

Kei

Soldato

Personally, I wouldn't bother updating unless the current bios isn't working for you. F3g has been working fine for me since I built the system last year so I've left it well alone. Cpu runs at 3.975GHz on 1.325V and the 8 pack teamgroup ram happily runs at 3200C14 with tight secondary timings. (14-14-14-28-56-256-1T) Requires 1.4V on the ram and 1.125V on SoC.

Soldato

F3G caused me to RMA 2 x motherboards with corrupt bios so unless you really need it I would avoid. The F2 default Bios seems to be rock solid stable.

Soldato
I had big problems with bios curruption about 2 months ago. It turned out to be the Gigagbyte motherboard software, so I would advice everyone not to use their software.
Same as me actually but it took 2 RMAs & 2 brand new replacements before I decided what the cause was (with bios F3G that is F2 default is rock solid stable). Dare not risk any of their software as QA seems to be lacking.

Associate
Thanks for the info all. Sounds like buying the Gigabyte board was a mistake - bit of a joke considering what X399 is supposed to represent.

Will stick with F3G until there is a better reason to change.

Personally, I wouldn't bother updating unless the current bios isn't working for you.

The only issue I have is the B-die 3466 C16 ram I have fails training on first power, then always boots the second time. Running at 3200 C16, DDR volts @ 1.4 and SoC @ 1.1, so a bit of a ******.

Associate
I have same problem with 3466 on mine, so fell back to some tight 3333 CL14, happy enough, at that level it is only marginal gains. If you consider rated speed is 2666 it is not bad.

Soldato
The Gigabyte boards have been surprising - if you've got the right memory from the get go - they do well, but everything I've seen around the BIOS's is pretty shocking for such a high end product - if things are working and you don't want the NVME raid update - don't do it!

Asus Prime has done me ok, other than an awful set of recent BIOS updates I had to do for NVME RAID - I'll never be updating again after that - though is all working ok now (shouldn't need to update again now anyway).

If I had my time again I would go ASRock - and will definitely be picking one up after the X399 refresh we're due in August - even if I don't end up with a new CPU

Associate
LOL been six months since ASRock updated bios for X399, now ASRock just dropped Agesa 1.0.0.6 beta bios for X399...….not much has changed functionality wise :rolleyes:

Soldato
These are the notes for Agesa 1.0.0.6 from AMD - upto mobo vendors if they just incorporate the updates or expose extra settings for you to fiddle with though:

we began beta testing a new AGESA (v1.0.0.6) that is largely focused on aiding the stability of overclocked DRAM (>DDR4-2667). We are now at the point where that testing can begin transitioning into release candidate and/or production BIOSes for you to download. Depending on the QA/testing practices of your motherboard vendor, full BIOSes based on this code could be available for your motherboard starting in mid to late June.

If you’re the kind of user that just needs (or loves!) virtualization every day, then AGESA 1.0.0.6-based firmware will be a blessing for you thanks to fresh support for PCI Express® Access Control Services (ACS). ACS primarily enables support for manual assignment of PCIe® graphics cards within logical containers called “IOMMU groups.” The hardware resources of an IOMMU group can then be dedicated to a virtual machine.

This capability is especially useful for users that want 3D-accelerated graphics inside a virtual machine. With ACS support, it is possible to split a 2-GPU system such that a host Linux® OS and a Windows VM both have a dedicated graphics cards. The virtual machine can access all the capabilities of the dedicated GPU, and run games inside the virtual machine at near-native performance.

This is certainly a complicated setup for most users, but I have no doubt that there will be a whole lot of you enthusiastically nodding at this news. We’re grateful for your feedback and your patience, and we hope the new support for ACS serves you well.

What's Next For Memory
AGESA 1.0.0.6 officially adds 26 new parameters that can improve the compatibility and reliability of DRAM, especially for memory that does not follow the industry-standard JEDEC specifications (e.g. faster than 2667, manual overclocking, or XMP2 profiles).

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/05/25/community-update-4-lets-talk-dram

Associate
Yes updated both my Zenith boards to 1.0.0.5, working very well for me. Only issue is the wake from sleep bug, but that can be resolved by enabling C States. I've ditched overclocking for now as i have my systems on all day so i just let XFR do its thing.

I had to get rid of the Asus X399 Prime board, kept having posting issues on all the available bios versions and no changing of settings would fix it. No probs at all with the zeniths with the same hardware.

Sorry for delayed reply, not been on OCuk for a while. I had some good results of RAM OC on UEFI 1003, AGESA 1.0.05. 9952 with AGESA 1.0.07 hasn't been bad but seems ever so slightly not as good for stability on like profiles, still meddling with it.

These are the notes for Agesa 1.0.0.6 from AMD - upto mobo vendors if they just incorporate the updates or expose extra settings for you to fiddle with though:
https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/05/25/community-update-4-lets-talk-dram

The context of AGESA 1.0.0.6 for purpose of link is AM4. All those settings were there on Threadripper at launch, but not on AM4. By that I do not mean link is not relevant :) , but wanted to highlight AGESA version numbering got reset for when Threadripper came out. And as now AM4 has moved on to gen 2 (Pinnacle Ridge) it has reset for that as well. Again that has all those settings and far more than Ryzen gen 1 did at launch.

Associate
The context of AGESA 1.0.0.6 for purpose of link is AM4. All those settings were there on Threadripper at launch, but not on AM4. By that I do not mean link is not relevant :) , but wanted to highlight AGESA version numbering got reset for when Threadripper came out. And as now AM4 has moved on to gen 2 (Pinnacle Ridge) it has reset for that as well. Again that has all those settings and far more than Ryzen gen 1 did at launch.

Is there a table that lists the equivalent versioning, or the flow of the versions? Seems ridiculously complex...

Back
Top Bottom