• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen "2" ?

Associate
Hi folks. OK, my order is in and I'm joining the ryzen group. 2600x, Asus prime Pro and 8pack ram.
Any set up tips? I'm planning on just plug and play at first using current Windows install so it activates etc. I'll then look at fresh install and get my water kit plumbed in.
Motherboard chipset drivers and ryzen power plan or leave to Windows?

Soldato
So it's official then. My set up cannot get 3200MHz out of the 8 pack ram.

The ram has been RMA'd and it still freezes in game after a while at 3200MHz. Knocking it down to 3133MHz seems (it needs more game time) to be fine however.

I'll just settle for that no point trying anymore. But the question still remains where is the bottleneck?

I had these ram issues with my 1700 so I replaced it with a 2700x. The ram is 8 pack ram which most run over 3200MHz. The mobo well others have this mobo and also run their ram over 3200MHz.

8Pack was suggesting in the memory thread that the infinity fabric can also be a limiting factor same as the IMC. But a 2700x with a crap infinity fabric?

I'm not convinced.

Which leaves just the mobo as the culprit. But there are people with this board running higher memory frequencies.

I guess there is such a thing as a mobo silicon lottery as well now.

Next time I will make sure to buy a more premium board.

Associate
im no expert .but my setup,asus prime x470-pro, 7 2700x corsairvengeance lxp 3200mhz 2 8gb sticks set to docp in bios .running sweet as a nut.love cooler work.s great

Associate
@JJimmyJ i removed all intel stuff from windows 10 shut down pc installed amd board cpu booted up no problems then installed amd drivers 6 weeks later still running ok

Associate
@JJimmyJ i removed all intel stuff from windows 10 shut down pc installed amd board cpu booted up no problems then installed amd drivers 6 weeks later still running ok

Soldato
How are you tuning your RAM? Have you tried the timing calc program?

Also this is pretty good for testing, very fast.

https://www.karhusoftware.com/ramtest/

Though its 10 euros.

I've tried everything under the sun within my abilities.

Ryzen calculator, stillts settings, ProcODT, dram voltage, soc voltages you name it I tried it.

4 weeks I spent tweaking the ram before I sent it back for RMA.

I caould even get it to pass 400% in HCI @3200MHz but it was still freezing after about 20-30mins in games.

---

As I said it seems much happier at 3133MHz. But why?

Some other poor guy with epic ram issues.

---

Ram issues is Ryzen in a nutshell.

Unless it's just X370 issues.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Forget ddr4 prices, have they seen gpu prices. £450 now gets you a mid to upper range gpu. Couple of years ago you could get 1080 equivalent 780 for less around launch. My third party wf3 780 was 420 new. 1080 620 less than a month after launch.

We always go for Upper tier gpus 1080s or TI's so that have not affected us much But got when I'w seen MSI 1080 EK seahawk at sub 500quid on offer i was like. BOYS GET THEM and they did Win on that side :D

Permabanned
So it's official then. My set up cannot get 3200MHz out of the 8 pack ram.

The ram has been RMA'd and it still freezes in game after a while at 3200MHz. Knocking it down to 3133MHz seems (it needs more game time) to be fine however.

I'll just settle for that no point trying anymore. But the question still remains where is the bottleneck?

I had these ram issues with my 1700 so I replaced it with a 2700x. The ram is 8 pack ram which most run over 3200MHz. The mobo well others have this mobo and also run their ram over 3200MHz.

8Pack was suggesting in the memory thread that the infinity fabric can also be a limiting factor same as the IMC. But a 2700x with a crap infinity fabric?

I'm not convinced.

Which leaves just the mobo as the culprit. But there are people with this board running higher memory frequencies.

I guess there is such a thing as a mobo silicon lottery as well now.

Next time I will make sure to buy a more premium board.
Told You i was 90% sure its not the ram but Motherboard.
My Infinity fabric starts to go around 3533 got memory pass over 2000% at 3600 IBT pass cinebench 3d mark ect. But cant pass Y cruncher or realbench stress tests.

Soldato

I'm amazed that this works... older Windowses would have thrown up on your shoes for trying it O_o

Has anyone ever done performance comparisons of systems after swapping the motherboard without reinstalling? I want to go from B350 to X470 and it'd be much easier if I could get away without a full wipe...

Soldato
Told You i was 90% sure its not the ram but Motherboard.
My Infinity fabric starts to go around 3533 got memory pass over 2000% at 3600 IBT pass cinebench 3d mark ect. But cant pass Y cruncher or realbench stress tests.

I did a quick google on the Prime Pro X470. And it seems the Germans have evidence of the same ram running faster on the X470 rather than the x370.

I've also read reports on overclock.net of the same.

Soldato
Going to buy a 2600X in the near future - what's the best RAM sold here to go with it? Ideally overclocked to 3400MHz with low timings for the best gaming performance.

Back
Top Bottom