• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen "2" ?

Soldato
I've just noticed the X470 Prime Pro is rated up to 3600MHz. That's something new they've added!

I'm tempted with an upgrade, but cant really be bothered with a rebuild.

Also I thinks it very short sighted as I imagine next years chips although compatible with current boards will be quite different to today's chips.

More of a tick rather than a tock.

Don't bother upgrading, existing X370 motherboards should all handle similar speeds.

Associate
The timings is the number of clock cycles required to carry out a certain operation. So if you have RAM with 14 clock cycle read latency and memory with 18 clock cycles latency, then you would need to considerable increase the clock speed of the 18 RAM for it to match the 14 RAM. About 28% faster clock in fact. That's not going from 3000Mhz to 3200Mhz that's more like going from 3000Mhz to 3900Mhz.

Caporegime
Last edited:
Soldato
Caporegime
Market share is really that high for AMD?

In those instances yes, world wide? who knows but in my opinion AMD will have gained significant market share from Intel in this past year, last year Gibbo said the Ryzen 1600 was the most popular CPU here, i would think that's now transferred to the 2600, if not the most popular certainly way up there.

You put all these things together i think its hard to ignore.

Associate
I suspect that most CPU sales are in prebuilt systems from Dell/hp/Lenovo etc and so Intel will have much more market share than sales figures from component sites would suggest, but I have no figures to back up my assumption!

Soldato
In those instances yes, world wide? who knows but in my opinion AMD will have gained significant market share from Intel in this past year, last year Gibbo said the Ryzen 1600 was the most popular CPU here, i would think that's now transferred to the 2600, if not the most popular certainly way up there.

You put all these things together i think its hard to ignore.

But a year of sales compared to decades for Intel.

Caporegime
But a year of sales compared to decades for Intel.

Yeah, i think a decade is a bit much, the Phenom II chips did ok, but yes bulldozer and everything that followed in the same vain was a total car crash, AMD have been out of it for a while, much too long.

But they do seem to be recovering really rather well and almost to make up for Bulldozer this architecture seems very strong in its implementation and scalability, to the point where Intel really do need to take it seriously or risk falling behind rapidly.

Soldato
I suspect that most CPU sales are in prebuilt systems from Dell/hp/Lenovo etc and so Intel will have much more market share than sales figures from component sites would suggest, but I have no figures to back up my assumption!
Steam's hardware survey puts it at 84.02% to 15.98% in Intel's favour. Firefox's puts it at 89% to 11% in Intel's favour. Both show Intel's lead continuing to grow over the past year too.

Caporegime
Steam's hardware survey puts it at 84.02% to 15.98% in Intel's favour. Firefox's puts it at 89% to 11% in Intel's favour. Both show Intel's lead continuing to grow over the past year too.

Steam Hardware survey is flawed, there are a lot more Intel systems in existence because AMD have only been competitive for just over a year, so yes the number of Intel systems already in existence is much greater.

What's more, a lot of them are in Chinese style gaming caffe and they get repeat surveyed by steam, and, i use Steam everyday, i have not had a survey requested in a year, it still thinks i have a 4690K

Associate
Its windows had random shutdowns on 17125 build
So after updating bios and reapplying my settings PC was running fine again until this evening, got BSOD , something about NTFS.sys when I rebooted had the 3 beeps from mobo then got a message saying the memory timings couldnt be loaded. Does that mean there is an issue with the memory or is it a side effect from the BSOD?
I re-applied my saved profile and same memory timings as before (the DOCP 3200 setting). Computer loaded back into Windows, did a memtest using HCI upto 100% coverage didnt get any errors, will do a more intense one tomorrow from work but am I getting BSOD cause of memory or is it a Windows thing?

Anyone know of a good+low price M2 drive, I think I will need to install Win 7 again getting BSODs every few days not so great!

Permabanned
Windows 7 isn't supported with Pinnacle Ridge.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8gu69x/ryzen_2700x_and_windows_7/
The WiFi flat out doesn't work as this board uses an Intel 9260 WiFi chip of which there are no Windows 7 drivers whatsoever even though there are Windows 7 drivers on Gigabytes website. When I asked for their help in regards to this their response was basically '2700X isn't compatible with Windows 7, upgrade to Windows 10 or use a 1000 series Ryzen'.

Permabanned
Steam Hardware survey is flawed, there are a lot more Intel systems in existence because AMD have only been competitive for just over a year, so yes the number of Intel systems already in existence is much greater.

What's more, a lot of them are in Chinese style gaming caffe and they get repeat surveyed by steam, and, i use Steam everyday, i have not had a survey requested in a year, it still thinks i have a 4690K

What about this ??
https://hardware.metrics.mozilla.com/#goto-cpu-and-memory

on my polish forums everyone are like ye ryzen is nice time to buy intel.

same situation on GPU market people waiting for AMD cards so NV drops prives and buy NV cards.

somehow You can see it LOL

Permabanned
So after updating bios and reapplying my settings PC was running fine again until this evening, got BSOD , something about NTFS.sys when I rebooted had the 3 beeps from mobo then got a message saying the memory timings couldnt be loaded. Does that mean there is an issue with the memory or is it a side effect from the BSOD?
I re-applied my saved profile and same memory timings as before (the DOCP 3200 setting). Computer loaded back into Windows, did a memtest using HCI upto 100% coverage didnt get any errors, will do a more intense one tomorrow from work but am I getting BSOD cause of memory or is it a Windows thing?

Anyone know of a good+low price M2 drive, I think I will need to install Win 7 again getting BSODs every few days not so great!
100% well try at lest 400 better 800+

Permabanned
What about this ??
https://hardware.metrics.mozilla.com/#goto-cpu-and-memory

on my polish forums everyone are like ye ryzen is nice time to buy intel.

same situation on GPU market people waiting for AMD cards so NV drops prives and buy NV cards.

somehow You can see it LOL

Ryzen isn't simply nice - it is better and superior in all possible fronts. When more properly optimised game engines appear, that will cover ~100% of the possible user applications.
AMD cards up to RX 580 are also quite a bit better than nVidia's offerings.

Like someone was joking - our "glue" is better than Intel's toothpaste :D

Soldato

The issue with Chinese numbers was recently corrected by Valve, and those are the numbers post-correction. When the Chinese numbers were factored in, Intel was at 91.9%. They'd also been steadily increasing their share post-Ryzen launch and pre-Chinese numbers being added, which doesn't seem to suggest that it's all the result of existing systems. I'm not saying they're definitive numbers, but you're simply never going to get those. There's also the fact that Mozilla's numbers are broadly similar to what Steam reports (though even more heavily-slanted in Intel's favour), which lends credence to the idea that they're not a million miles away.

Ultimately, AMD need to get Ryzen into a lot more pre-built systems (including laptops) to really start making a dent. They're doing great in the enthusiast market, but a lot of people don't know or care what CPU their computer has inside it.

Back
Top Bottom