Let's Talk about 4x4ing

Associate
Bought a Disco 1 the other week as a temporary work vehicle.
First thing I did was go through the local ford!

Off to Wales this weekend so will try a few of the tame lanes we normally take the bikes down.
Its on road tyres and I reckon its sitting about 1" lower then it should be due to saggy springs so I won't take it far.

20180514_104625.jpg

Fitted a front diff guard last night and will be replacing front discs and pads tomorrow as the front discs are corroded on the inside.
Will also check diff and transfer box oil levels.

Soldato
What was that gen Forester like? Ever since I saw one burble past me a good while ago and discovering they're putting out 220bhp, I was interested in one as a daily, XT, Cross Sports (JDM) or if i could comfortably afford it an FSTi.
I loved it, I'd have another. The interior was very utilitarian as with most jap cars of that age, but it was well put together and immensely practical.
I got 27mpg from it, regardless of how hard I drove it.

Caporegime
I do a lot of off-roading in the states, usually around Utah and Arizona, I always take a Wranger, I've pulled a few people out of sand in standard SUVs a few times, one guy went into deep sand in a Porsche Cayenne once, that was a little embarrassing..

yxdUzSa.jpg

To be fair to the car with a capable driver and the right tyres it would probably have been fine.

A lot of the more advanced “soft roaders” (Cayenne, Evoque etc) are pretty good unless the going gets really gnarly. Not a “proper” 4x4 but capable enough that the driver is most likely going to be the weakest link.

I have an F150. The old one I only used in snow and on gravel but I took our new one down to Utah last month (couple of photos in the show us your motor thread) for a bit of a shakedown. It’s stock at the moment but the aim is to turn it into an overland vehicle so probably going to add a couple of inch lift, compressor, undercarriage protection (old one had it, but new one doesn’t) a camper/tent back and a few other fun bits and pieces. Nothing too extreme as it’s mostly used on road!

Soldato
To be fair to the car with a capable driver and the right tyres it would probably have been fine.

A lot of the more advanced “soft roaders” (Cayenne, Evoque etc) are pretty good unless the going gets really gnarly. Not a “proper” 4x4 but capable enough that the driver is most likely going to be the weakest link.

I have an F150. The old one I only used in snow and on gravel but I took our new one down to Utah last month (couple of photos in the show us your motor thread) for a bit of a shakedown. It’s stock at the moment but the aim is to turn it into an overland vehicle so probably going to add a couple of inch lift, compressor, undercarriage protection (old one had it, but new one doesn’t) a camper/tent back and a few other fun bits and pieces. Nothing too extreme as it’s mostly used on road!

Yeah it was a Japanese couple, who didn't really know what they were doing tbh - one problem was that the Cayenne didn't have locking diffs, so when it got into deep sand it only had 2 out of the 4 wheels with traction and just bogged down, it *might* have been ok with proper tyres on it though, you can't see it from the pictures there - but that was very deep sand,

I've hired a few F150s I really liked them, preferred them to the SUVs to be honest,

Caporegime
Lack of a locking diff isn’t really a big deal. Most people don’t use one when in sand. If you get stuck a shovel and/or tow/winch is what you need. Ideally you don’t want to get stuck in the first place, which is where driving technique is most relevant.

Caporegime
I had a mini Pajero IO for a while, it was awesome fun. Never done any serious off roading. But took it down the salt flats, some beach dunes, and some off road places near the coast.

Also had my nephew do some donuts in it, and we had some fun doing some mild off roading.

Probably the most fun car I've bought. Coming into the salt flats in RWD, and then smashing around the dunes. Surprising amount of grip for such a small car.

Soldato
Used to have a 2005 jeep liberty (cherokee in the UK) the worst car i've ever owned and probably the worst car jeep have ever made. Only off roading i do is in mud season since all the roads around here are dirt and a complete nightmare in spring. Ohh and we get lots of snow :)

Soldato
I loved it, I'd have another. The interior was very utilitarian as with most jap cars of that age, but it was well put together and immensely practical.
I got 27mpg from it, regardless of how hard I drove it.

Had a 300bhp one that did nothing like 27mpg :D Was running 100 octane pump gas and A/C was almost permanently on mind you (Cyprus).

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p115/Galifrey/scooby3.jpg.html

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p115/Galifrey/scoobybay.jpg.html

Soldato
We were given this with 60k on it. That was a year ago, I give you Rex:

p.ssangyong-rexton-diesel-estate.jpg

Ssangyong Rexton 2.7 Xdi - Mercedes engine and running gear. Selectable 4x4 with low range, very capable. Chipped and tweaked, running about 200BHP.

Ours is identical to this, but ours has running boards.

Associate
Wouldn't mind getting a Defender at some point that isn't rusty, I need to build a rockery at home first though so I can park it up on that as a sort of podium for it!

Also should be an OcUK off road meet like the motors meet.

Associate
I’ve got a defender 90 I’m doing a restoration on. Been off the road for 3 years already lol. I should try harder lol

Spec is pretty good.
Tdi engine replaced with remanufactured 4.6 v8 petrol. Megasquirt bespoke efi.
Everything is galvanised, chassis, bulkhead and most bracketery.
Every non load bearing but bolt and washer is stainless steel
Rebuilt r380 quick shift and transfer box with upgraded internals.
3x limited slip differentials and upgraded shafts.
Integrated diff pan protection with weld on ARB protectors.
OME extreme articulation suspension kit with 2” lift.
Soft top bodywork and series doors.
Dakar spec alloy wheels and 285/80 mud tyres for clearance.
The obligatory winch, bumpers, tree sliders all galvanised.
That’s just the big stuff, and it ain’t f Hi she’d yet.

Back
Top Bottom