* The Metal Thread *

I grew up with the likes of Maiden and Sabbath so got to see the excitement of when thrash exploded, i enjoyed Metallica et al but always found it just lacking that raw speed. I always ended up gravitating towards Nuclear Assault, Kreator, Obituary and my all time favourites Morbid Angel and the mighty Carcass.

I keep seeing posts on many metal forums that rock really is stagnant and dying with rap and pop just dominating everything. Nothing really excites me these days unlike the first time i heard Carcass and thought "wtf is this crap!" but ended up loving what they became.

The irony to me is that the last time i was really excited about metal was when everyone was saying its dead and over because grunge killed it, but Pantera had other ideas :D

Associate
For me I can say that Metallica are the ones who got me into metal, mostly due to the S&M album. From there I did go finding more and more metal bands. And due to being involved in a webradio 13-14 years ago where we had a huge rock/metalhead I did discover even more metal. And when I moved to UK, wow, well lets say that MetalHammer did help me find even more stuff and in the end I've been to around 30-35 gigs in the last 3 years (I'm lucky to live near London). And I do listen to quite a wide range of metal, right now I'm in a Ayreon period but I have a feeling that will change when Devin Townsends live album comes out in July :D

For me I can say that Metallica are the ones who got me into metal, mostly due to the S&M album. From there I did go finding more and more metal bands. And due to being involved in a webradio 13-14 years ago where we had a huge rock/metalhead I did discover even more metal. And when I moved to UK, wow, well lets say that MetalHammer did help me find even more stuff and in the end I've been to around 30-35 gigs in the last 3 years (I'm lucky to live near London). And I do listen to quite a wide range of metal, right now I'm in a Ayreon period but I have a feeling that will change when Devin Townsends live album comes out in July :D

Got to love Devin, Ocean Machine will always be one of my favourite albums. Plus the fact he created Strapping Young Lad, one of the best bands ever created :D

Associate
Got to love Devin, Ocean Machine will always be one of my favourite albums. Plus the fact he created Strapping Young Lad, one of the best bands ever created :D

Devin is really amazing, I love how versatile and broad his music actually are. I've been lucky to see him perform Ocean Machine live twice (Hammersmith and Plovdiv last year) and seen him a total of 5 times. I can't remember what actually brought me onto him, but I'm pretty happy about finding his music. Ocean Machine is a really really amazing album.
And the reason why I got into Metallica to start with was because I really fancied this girl at school, and we were talking music as she was really into music and she asked me what I thought about Metallica. Of course I said "they are not bad at all", and of course I knew nothing about them except the band name and that one of the friends to my family listened to them. So after we hang up, I called this friend and asked if I could borrow his Metallica-albums which he did bring over that same evening. First I think I listened to some single from Load or Re-Load which didn't do much for me, but then, then I put on the S&M album and I was hooked. I'm now soon reaching 20 years of following metal and still love it as much as before (love music in general though and love to discover new bands)

Associate
Ran out of podcasts to listen to whilst walking the dog the other day and was just randomly picking some stuff from my Walkman that I hadn't listened to for a while. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed the Hypercube album by Angel of Disease...I think it's a pretty excellent demonstration of good melodic death metal. The vocals are guttural yet enunciated well and are understandable (maybe not on youtube but on the actual music...) and there's a nice catchy melodic motif many of the tracks. This takes a little while to get earwormy but once it's in there's no escape -

Soldato
For me it was Michael Jackson that lead me to metal.

The solo parts in some of his songs I needed more of it and it lead me to Mettalica.

Obviously I listen to lots of other bands but from Mettalica I went to Radiohead then I found Opeth.

Opeth lead me to prog metal and all the other genres of metal.

Associate
Slayer farewell tour with Anthrax, Lamb Of God & obituary supporting.

Count me in! playing Newcastle too so even better.

Getting tickets for dis,still kinda pains me that LoG are main suport,seems like heresy imo with anthrax in the lineup but whatevs... Obituary did not expect that tho :D

also the new immortal is soo good,im like legit shocked

Still kinda in awe of how old skool immortal it sounds (minus the production ofc)..Just the riffage and pace tho,so excited for this album

Getting tickets for dis,still kinda pains me that LoG are main suport,seems like heresy imo with anthrax in the lineup but whatevs... Obituary did not expect that tho :D

also the new immortal is soo good,im like legit shocked

Still kinda in awe of how old skool immortal it sounds (minus the production ofc)..Just the riffage and pace tho,so excited for this album

Wasnt expecting great things after Abbath but thats ******* ace, excited!

Soldato
\m/ Scarlet Johansson sings metal.. overloading in both singing talent, song being sun (love night wish Tarja era) and the obvious attractive appearance.. Danger Will Robinson!

Back
Top Bottom