LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
Since we are still a couple of months off the launch of the 950G, we have time to research info about the UW5 panel :D

Biggest challenge right now is resisting the X34P at £799 :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
Do you both really think this Monitor is 6-8 months away? By the time the panel has gone into production (if it goes into production on time), LG produces successful prototypes and then you add on the LG delay, you’ll be lucky to get this by July 2019. Your probably looking at a Q3 2019 launch.

The 34gk950F is supposedly coming out a month later than the 34gk950G (according to Daniel-LG in a previous post), and im assuming thats using the UW5 panel. It wouldn't surprise me if we saw a Dell or Acer release a version by end of this year (but then again they might not want to canabalize sales of the Alienware and x34p, so I dunno)

Associate
Do you both really think this Monitor is 6-8 months away? By the time the panel has gone into production (if it goes into production on time), LG produces successful prototypes and then you add on the LG delay, you’ll be lucky to get this by July 2019. Your probably looking at a Q3 2019 launch.

According to TFTCentral, the UW5 already went into production LAST MONTH!

Again, according to the LG representative on this forum, the UW5 panel will first be used in the 34GK950F, a FreeSync monitor. On LG's German website the 34GK950F is listed as being available sometime in Q2. This panel is already very close to being released, just not in a monitor that supports G-SYNC.

I have no idea when a G-SYNC monitor using the UW5 panel will be released. However, given that the UW5 panel is available now, it seems unlikely that panel unavailability is what would delay such a monitor to Q3 2019.

Glad you agree, I was pretty ****ed when I typed it out :D

Honestly, you have to be high to come up with such a poetic description of G-SYNC ;)

Caporegime
Again, according to the LG representative on this forum, the UW5 panel will first be used in the 34GK950F, a FreeSync monitor. On LG's German website the 34GK950F is listed as being available sometime in Q2. This panel is already very close to being released, just not in a monitor that supports G-SYNC.

I'd like to see a gsync version of course, but tbf this monitor will be a really nice option for Vega 64 owners :cool:

Soldato
too bad Vega 64 can't compete with the 1080ti. I really dont want to buy it just for a monitor. So I might have to wait for gsync versions

This is unfortunately my predicament. I so want an AMD option for the high end, but there’s nothing there for me. If the next range from NV is decent then it’ll be back to being a one horse race entirely, and if I can pick up a FALD monitor with g-sync then that’s what I’ll have to do, which ties me into NV for at least 2 or 3 generations.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
@Daniel - LG Lots of speculation on the upcoming UW5 panel... do you have any information that you can share regarding a G-Sync product using this newer panel?

Also, any new information on release date for the 950G? Thanks!

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
I've just been perusing the TFT Central Monitor Panel Part Database, and the LM340UW4-SSA1 panel is listed as Manufacture Year = Q3 2017. This is the panel used in the X34P and the Alienware, which were available from Q4 2017 (i.e. the following quarter)

If the database lists the LM340UW5 panel as being manufacture May 2018, then we should be seeing monitors on shelves this year, if similar timelines apply. The notes state "G-sync, HDR 400", so we are not talking about the 34GK950F.

@Baddass can you please advise us on likely timing based on past experience?

Associate
If the database lists the LM340UW5 panel as being manufacture May 2018, then we should be seeing monitors on shelves this year, if similar timelines apply. The notes state "G-sync, HDR 400", so we are not talking about the 34GK950F.

You seem to think the production schedules listed at TFTCentral would allow us to estimate when a monitor combining G-SYNC + LM340UW5 will hit the market. That's analogous to thinking the initial production date of the LM340UW4-SSA1 (Q3 2017) would have allowed us to estimate the release date of the 34GK950G (end of June or early July 2018). That is flawed.

Looking at the older entries in TFTCentral's panel database, we can deduce that it takes between two and three months before a panel that goes into production, reaches retail channels as part of a monitor.

Daniel - LG already mentioned that the LM340UW5 panels are initially allocated for production of the 34GK950F (34", 21:9, 3440x1440, FreeSync). This monitor is already listed on some of LG's websites. Retailers are starting to list it now. I think it's safe to assume that it will be released sometime next month, roughly two months after initial production of the LM340UW5 commenced. That all matches up.

The only inconsistency is that for the LM340UW5, TFTCentral also mentions G-SYNC support. However, G-SYNC support isn't directly related to the panel (that's a function of the controller).

Possibly Daniel - LG's and TFTCentral's sources are contradicting each other, but I doubt that is the case. I suspect a monitor combining G-SYNC + LM340UW5 will eventually be released (so TFTCentral is correct), but it will be released much later (so Daniel -LG is also correct). By the time it is released, the LM340UW5 will already have been in production for many months, making panel production schedules useless for the purpose of estimating monitor release dates.

Furthermore, if LG actually did intend to release a monitor combining G-SYNC + LM340UW5 anytime soon, then releasing a monitor combining G-SYNC + LM340UW4-SSA1 (a.k.a 34GK950G) is utterly senseless. The former would cannibalize the latter's sales. However, LG is releasing the 34GK950G within the month.

TL;DR:
  • if LG releases a monitor combining G-SYNC + LM340UW5, it's yet quite a ways off
  • panel production schedules are likely utterly useless for the purpose of estimating the release date for a G-SYNC + LM340UW5 monitor
All of the above assumes the information we currently have to go on is in fact correct.

Last edited:
Associate
@Daniel - LG

The two main questions raised in this thread that we can't find any information on and which we'd really love to hear something about:
  1. G-SYNC + LM340UW5: Do you have any information you can share?
  2. G-SYNC + LM375QW2: Is this combination planned at all (IMHO potentially the perfect monitor)?

Associate
Im definitely going to wait for Gsync 144hz. 100hz native with a 1080ti means I need to limit framerate (riviatuner), and introduce some input lag. Also I don't have the utmost confidence in the frame skipping and scanline issues associated with overclocking the refresh rate.

Back
Top Bottom