DC Vault

PDW

PDW

Associate
We dropped back down to 4th but not far behind, but 5th place have been catching up and aren't that far behind us either :eek:

Soldato
OP
3rd realistically is the best we could ever achieve at this stage. When I think back to when we first started, cracking the top ten was a big deal! never thought we'd be this high.

I'll have the Vault in mind when choosing the next project to attack.

Soldato
OP
Thought I'd check to see how we're doing on the vault these days and we've dropped quite a bit with the inclusion of acoustics and rakesearch. I've not long finished slacker stomping on asteroids and have moved on to numberfields to try and get the no.1 spot there but I will be doing a bit of acoustics also.

Shout out to Andy and Oz, I know you guys are down't pit 24/7 these days but I hope you guys are well, sure is quiet around here.

Edit: A year and a half since the previous post lol.

PDW

PDW

Associate
If you are running Rake Search make sure you install the optimised app that [B@P]Daniel created, so much faster than the default one.

For Acoustics, back in September 2017 the admin said:
A GPU application is being developed now, but it is a quite hard problem. I hope, that we will launch it in a couple of months. We also plan to develop an AVX and SSE CPU applications.

So I held off doing too much work waiting for the optimised and GPU apps to appear. To be honest I wasn't expecting a GPU app but it would be good if Daniel could work his magic here. Tasks are taking about 48 minutes for a fixed credit of 42 points, am sure they could be done much faster if they used the hardware fully.

A few days ago the admin posted:
Unfortunately, the GPU developer left our laboratory, so the GPU application is delayed.

On the plus side we have a lot of points to grab at Acoustics as we work our way up from the bottom :)

Soldato
OP
I found the optimised apps on rakesearch after scratching my head and wondering why my production was so low. I just just went straight for the Linux avx2 apps, not tried or tested any other instructions or platforms.
I think acoustics runs better on windows, I've not tried it on Linux but I looked at the top hosts and that's the impression I got.

MGP

MGP

Soldato
I've not long finished slacker stomping on asteroids

Well that just wasn't nice. :p Not sure what's more upsetting - getting stomped without knowing (wondered why I need to keep seeing a physio 'cos my backside hurts) :eek:, or simply being called a slacker (on the other hand that cap fits quite well :o )

Soldato
given the cards I have ( all R9 ) series, how would running milkyway help?, 1 x 290x 3 x 280x

its ashame as I did have these at one stage running.

1 290x
1 280x
2 RX480
2 270x
2 7870
gtx660

Soldato
OP
given the cards I have ( all R9 ) series, how would running milkyway help?, 1 x 290x 3 x 280x

its ashame as I did have these at one stage running.

1 290x
1 280x
2 RX480
2 270x
2 7870
gtx660

For the sake of the vault, no, the ones that need the most attention are all CPU

Acoustics@home
OGR-28 (non BOINC)
SRBase
Rakesearch
TN-Grid
VTGU

BTW How's the mining going Andy? still got the bug?

Soldato
becomes boring even when making something from it. might be different if I had loads of gpus and I was making a fortune lol. I did get a nice corsair 1200 ax psu a couple of week back tho which gave me room for even more gpus

PDW

PDW

Associate
I haven't looked for ages to see what my little mining pot is worth, did do some gold mining last month though ;)

We moved up to 5th in the Vault last night :)
Getting to 4th will take a bit longer but is doable.

Soldato
OP
Ooh, I've just stomped you on Acoustics, I think this a first, I can't remember stomping you on anything before.
Yes, Acoustics is a bit better on windows, I tried it on both and reached the same conclusion.

Ooh, I've just stomped you on Acoustics, I think this a first, I can't remember ever stomping you on anything before? Do you have your TR on there? they seem to like that project.

PDW

PDW

Associate
Ooh, I've just stomped you on Acoustics, I think this a first, I can't remember stomping you on anything before.

Ooh, I've just stomped you on Acoustics, I think this a first, I can't remember ever stomping you on anything before? Do you have your TR on there? they seem to like that project.
So excited you had to say it twice !

Don't think it is a first, possibly WEP or VGTU you have done the dirty, I just block it out :eek:
TR is on Ubuntu so not optimal for Acoustics, I only used Windows 10 on it when I first got it to check temperatures as nothing was available for monitoring under linux.

Soldato
OP
I don't know how I managed that, quite scary really, must be my age.
I was running VGTU a few days ago but gave up as it was awarding me lousy credits, a single TR was out scoring my dual xeon.
I use psensor on Ubuntu, don't know if that picks up TR though.

PDW

PDW

Associate
There was no thermal sensor support for a TR under ubuntu when they launched, I did check again a few months after I got it but haven't bothered since. Once I got the GPU working I stopped fiddling with it :)

I just wanted to check that paste and cooler were working well when I set it up so had to use Windows 10 but it has been running 24/7 without a problem since then on ubuntu and run times have always compared well with other TR results.

Just waiting for TR2 to come out, time to replace my older i7's with TR2's and perhaps repeat next year with TR3's with the rest of the i7's. That should get my core/thread count up a bit, should probably stop when I get to a 1,000 just need to decide whether that is cores or threads :D

PDW

PDW

Associate
@hanluc - looks like you picked the wrong time to jump on RakeSearch !
Admin is investigating but a whole load of work got cancelled overnight when he went to delete old tasks from the database.

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure if it's affected me or not. I had over a 1000 tasks ready to report this morning, tried to report them and got a HTTP error, they did eventually report but I think a saw them as not in progress on their site before they reported but I'm not 100% sure. I do have over 2000 waiting to be validated, I only started it yesterday, so I just don't know.

PDW

PDW

Associate
I also saw my machines had got backed off so they continued to process the caches. I suspended everything that hadn't started this morning and eventually all the completed work reported in rather than be cancelled and a bit later the suspended work got cancelled.

For those old ones of mine in pending validation, the task details show successful completion but clicking on work unit details it says "Unable to handle request, can't find workunit".

The admin says "if your hosts saved the computed results - we have a chance to return them into project! "Manual work" in database is required for it, but if it is successful - it will be a very nice!"

So hoping magic can happen and they all make it back into the database :)

Back
Top Bottom