MPG Monsters

Soldato
Boring subject I know sorry...

I'm currently doing 54miles a day which is 270miles a week or 1170 a month or just over 14,000 a year. So quite a bit.

My current bike is a 13 year old 750 naked with about 30k on the clock so I'd like and want somthsome newer and more comfotable.

Due to a new born baby and paying £800 a month in fee however I have to be sensible. Boo...

What would you go for in my situation? Any other bikes to look at baring in mind the mpg quest?

I've looked and tested a nc750x which I actually liked. Only revs to 6.5k but I rarely manage much more on my commute.

Looking at £4-5k (although the nc750x new PCP with 12k miles a year comes out doable)

Associate
For fuel economy I'm not sure you'll find better than the Honda you've ridden. I expect it's comfortable too.

It's a bit boring of course, but if commuting is your only use for a bike, excitement between and around slow-moving traffic isn't really what you're looking for anyway.

Soldato
Just ride your bike slower.

On my sv650 I normally get 100-120 mileson a tank cus I crank it pretty hard to work and back.

But when I go touring I ride slow like 50mph I can get 180 on a tank, possibly more.

IC3

IC3

Soldato

On my sv650 I normally get 100-120 mileson a tank cus I crank it pretty hard to work and back.

But when I go touring I ride slow like 50mph I can get 180 on a tank, possibly more.
The lowest I ever hit was 89 miles to the tank, but good to know I'm not the only one that was struggling to get over 120-130 miles usually. :p

Soldato
OP

I'm already at the limit of what's possible on my bike mpg wise. I'm riding for an hour each way (27miles) and riding sensilibily, best I can in M60 traffic. It's an old 750cc so 50-55mpg is all I'm going to get.

Jumping up to 70-80mpg takes a chunk of the upgrade cost out and puts me on a shiny new modern bike.

I've been weighing up 2year old v PCP on a new one. And selling on a 5 year bike with close to 40k on it won't be easy or get much. Option of just handing it back appeals and won't be much more overall. Plus warranty etc etc

Soldato
OP
Scrimping on fuel to save money and buying via PCP? Are the two things not contradictory?

No, I'm just using the fuel saving to offset some of the cost of getting a new bike to justify it in my head (and also to the Mrs!).

As said I've got 2 or 3 years of mental £800p/m nursery fee's to pay for. After that I can get something silly. So I have to be sensible to any cost saving is good. (yes I know keeping my bike is the cheapest way but if I can get a new bike for not much more overall then why not).

I want a newer bike and I'm slowly killing mine with the milage. We've got two cars but I still consider the bike as my primary transport as my commute is rubbish by car so need it to be reliable and being more comfortable on long motorway trips is a bonus. Keep throwing money at mine for another year and let it melt from another winter and another 14k miles, or basically get a new bike now and enjoy it.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't bother with a new bike if you're going to be putting it through that.

Get one a couple of years old and run it into the ground.

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't bother with a new bike if you're going to be putting it through that.

Get one a couple of years old and run it into the ground.

2 year old for £5k is very much the probably out-come here. New PCP was better than I thought that's all, I thought I'd get laughed out with my mileage needs.

work from home
save on nursery fees
????
profit

I love my kids, but spending all day withe a 1year old and trying to work... Nah! :p

I got a Kawasaki Versys for a similar commute. Very comfortable on a long journey.

That's the other bike I'd looked at briefly but no-where near as economical as the nc. Doubt much will be really bar a 125, which I don't fancy doing :p

Soldato
Could look through bike trader, can pick up an old Japanese 250 for less than a grand.

Be quick enough (just) for motorway use and cheap as chips to run. Something like a suzuki tu-250, even old ones, so little to go wrong on them.

Probably get that trading your current bike, if it's only for a year or two, then buy a proper bike once the kids go to school.

Back
Top Bottom