Golf Thread

Soldato
Frustrating weekend.

Playing in the monthly medal started well dropped one shot after 5 had a bad double on six then disaster struck caught the back of the trees on 7 walked down couldnt find it, walked back took a drop and finished with an 8, Walked off the green found the first one in the back bunker, no idea how it got there but move on. Pulled that back with a birdie and a good run of pars 17th tee and ive got 1 shot left and a couple in reserve to keep me inside the buffer. Pulled my drive but not too bad as the group following said it was in the middle on the 16th fairway, no probs can still make a 4 from there, walk up and its gone, turns out the goup a couple behind on 15th must have played my ball without checking, NR on the card .1 back and ive done nothing wrong.

Walked off absolutly furious ready to quit the game

Soldato
I played the local pitch and put a few weeks back with some of the guys from work. Longest hole is 120 yards, I managed 1 par and quite a few over. Can't remember the last time I played before this but I was likely a child (i'm 31 now). took even a few attempts to hit the ball at first. Enjoyed it though, my dads given me a set of old clubs he got many years back. What should I be expecting to pay for lessons? Playing pitch and put with similar quality players I don't think will help much

Commissario
I played the local pitch and put a few weeks back with some of the guys from work. Longest hole is 120 yards, I managed 1 par and quite a few over. Can't remember the last time I played before this but I was likely a child (i'm 31 now). took even a few attempts to hit the ball at first. Enjoyed it though, my dads given me a set of old clubs he got many years back. What should I be expecting to pay for lessons? Playing pitch and put with similar quality players I don't think will help much
Think I paid around £40 for an hour last time, so around that maybe?

Soldato
I found a golf course that is doing some group sessions for £6 a session with them being a 5 week block. Going to do that and see what its like. The golf course itself would be a little out of my small budget to join though. Just learning fundamentals should be good.

Soldato
Been practicing with a friend who plays off 4, he gave me some amazing tips which I took to a round with me today.

Had 2 melt down holes and my putting was just a state for some reason (normally 1/2 putt I 4 putted 4 tikes :() otherwise saw a huge improvement in my play in both the short game and mid (my biggest weaknesses)

With some practice really hopeful of some solid progress now.

Soldato
Messed up a competition last week. I play off 13 and my first round in about 2 months was a comp. I was level par gross through 9 but managed to blob 3 of the last 4 holes. I was still cut but came 5th or 6th and if I had scored on those holes I would have walked it.

The conditions are immense, with fairways running so much I hit my biggest ever drives on several holes.

Soldato
After using the same clubs for the past ~24/25 years I treated myself to a new Callaway XR 16 driver, went to the range today and oh boy. Now I want to refresh my irons too.

I also gave my wife's Callaway Steelhead XR 16 #4 hybrid a hit too...Not so sure I want to keep my clubs as 3-9,PW,SW anymore. Longest irons might change to hybrid...

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I'm looking forward to it a lot. I'd love Rory to win but I just can't see it, he's showed flashes of brilliance this year but hasn't been able to maintain his level over four full days.

Commissario
Take a small club, putter even, and practice slowly swinging it at head height - like you’d swing a baseball bat. Concentrate on keeping the left arm straight (if you’re right handed) and only bend the wrist to coincide with the bend in your right arm.
Then slowly bring it back to the point of contact (in front of your eyes), focussing on creating a neutral point of impact - ie. the the club is facing the target line and is facing the same way when you started the backswing.
This worked well for me years ago when I was struggling, and then slowly brought it down to ground level :)

Back
Top Bottom