BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
Got our Ultrafast 2 installed the other day, had a spot of bother as it's a new build so BT had to work out where the underground fibre ducting went. All up and running now and getting around 310/50 which is perfect. The internet seems more responsive than my old VM 200/20 and there are less random wait times. Overall, very happy.

Associate
Got our Ultrafast 2 installed the other day, had a spot of bother as it's a new build so BT had to work out where the underground fibre ducting went. All up and running now and getting around 310/50 which is perfect. The internet seems more responsive than my old VM 200/20 and there are less random wait times. Overall, very happy.
Just wondering how long did you have to wait to order your Ultrafast package? We moved in on the 29th June bt have connected all the fibre up to the house, we have our white box installed and they said when the pon goes solid green it's ready to order.

Associate
Just wondering how long did you have to wait to order your Ultrafast package? We moved in on the 29th June bt have connected all the fibre up to the house, we have our white box installed and they said when the pon goes solid green it's ready to order.

I sorted it all out a few weeks before we moved. Service went live on 29th but we had major issues and didn't actually work until until 3rd July. Issues included:
1) New build and the engineers sent out did not connect our house up at all. Inside it was all connected okay but we were not connected to the local fiber box. Effectively, the wiring stopped at our front door.
2) Our house is at the end of a cul-de-sac and connects to a different box than the others houses. No one knew this though and were expecting the cable to appear and it didn't because it was going 100m in another direction.
3) Bloor did not crimp the cat 6 cables correctly so was was only getting 100mbps, sorted it and getting a cool 1gbps.

Associate
Hoping somebody here knows a bit on how BT set their speeds?

My MIL currently has Superfast/Infinity 1 which I'd always thought was limited to around 55mbps download (and is certainly the case with my parents package). However, speedtests at hers consistently nail 65mbps download and 18.5mbps upload. Her contract is coming to an end and she usually gets me to sort her out a new deal. I'm just wondering if BT have made a mistake and if I renew on another Superfast 1 deal then her speeds will drop.

TJM

TJM

Associate
BT provided free upgrades to some Infinity 1 customers with lines that could support more than 55Mbps, so she might have ordered Infinity 1 but has been moved to Infinity 2. The alternative is that the profile wasn't set correctly by Openreach when she was connected and she is getting more speed than she should.

Either way, is your mother in law going to miss 10Mbps of download speed and 8.5Mbps of upload speed? There will be much better deals available from other ISPs than BT's rolling monthly rate (BT will not offer a decent deal when you call to cancel) and I expect that is what will matter to her.

Associate
BT provided free upgrades to some Infinity 1 customers with lines that could support more than 55Mbps, so she might have ordered Infinity 1 but has been moved to Infinity 2. The alternative is that the profile wasn't set correctly by Openreach when she was connected and she is getting more speed than she should.

Either way, is your mother in law going to miss 10Mbps of download speed and 8.5Mbps of upload speed? There will be much better deals available from other ISPs than BT's rolling monthly rate (BT will not offer a decent deal when you call to cancel) and I expect that is what will matter to her.

Cheers. That's good to know re: free upgrades. I'll probably just jump over to PlusNet in that case and keep the best speeds.

The download speed won't affect her too much, but the upload speed reduction is definitely not ideal as she works from home a lot and sends large files back to the office.

Soldato
Well BT are increasing prices again so have the chance to look elsewhere.
Have an impacted line so max speed I can get is 45mbs which isn’t an issue but wouldn’t want to go any slower really (as it’s borderline when streaming to one Apple TV and a mobile device).
Anyone else effected? What are people’s thoughts?

maj

maj

Soldato
I had the letter too. To be honest even without the price increase I was looking to move on to a different provider anyway. Supposedly this is what my line is capable of based on my address:

bquC27b.jpg

But I only get 55mb max even on Infinity 2. Was with Plusnet before BT but wasn't that impressed by their customer service. VM don't cover my area and Zen are a bit on the pricey side.

Soldato
My builder tripped fuses in the house and I’ve lost 10 Mbps :( (That will teach me for not having my modem plugged into ups)

I guess I’ll have to wait for DLM to work it’s magic, not holding my breath!

Last edited:

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Not always, my parents had an issue and it lowered their sync and applied interleaving, within a two or three weeks it was back to normal.

It can take a lot longer though, and there is no way to speed it up.

Some ISP's (BT & PN that I know of) can now do a DLM reset without the involvement of OR, that might be an option?

Associate
Well BT are increasing prices again so have the chance to look elsewhere.
Have an impacted line so max speed I can get is 45mbs which isn’t an issue but wouldn’t want to go any slower really (as it’s borderline when streaming to one Apple TV and a mobile device).
Anyone else effected? What are people’s thoughts?

Had the email from BT too, meaning they were putting my package (Infinity 1 & BT Sport App) up to £61. Plusnet have taken the service over today, and all seems okay at the moment - saving myself £30pm in the process.

Caporegime
£61 a month? Crikey! Even with Sky's standard pricing on Fibre max it's £25+£18.99. What a pi** take! How much are they charging for BT sport app access only?

Associate
£61 a month? Crikey! Even with Sky's standard pricing on Fibre max it's £25+£18.99. What a pi** take! How much are they charging for BT sport app access only?

I know :( - due to the mess around we had trying to get fibre, we were too afraid to leave BT incase we lost it completely, so felt like we were being held to ransom. Anyway, glad we've broke free! They were going to up their price of BT Sport App to £9pm. It's £5pm with Plusnet.

BT's pricing literally makes zero sense.

maj

maj

Soldato
My contract is up on the 18th November which also means the end of my new customer discount. For phone and line rental they want £58.99 which is just too much for broadband alone.

I'm a bit confused by my notice period though. Letter says if I'm within my minimum contract term I need to call them by 20th August if I want to leave without paying a charge for leaving early. Where does that leave me? Do I need to stick with them and pay the extra £2.50 starting in September till a month before my contact ends? I just want out and would even consider Plusnet as this stage.

Soldato
@maj you can move provider now, just ring BT tell them you're moving due to the price increase. They'll mark your account so no early term fees are incurred.

Then just sign up to whatever ISP you want to move too (check Quidco/Top Cashback as well) :)

maj

maj

Soldato
@maj you can move provider now, just ring BT tell them you're moving due to the price increase. They'll mark your account so no early term fees are incurred.

Then just sign up to whatever ISP you want to move too (check Quidco/Top Cashback as well) :)

Ah good to know. Will give them a ring and let them know I'm leaving. Aside from the price increase I could really do with a static IP.

Topcashback have a Plusnet offer that ends in 4 days so I'll have to be quick.

Back
Top Bottom