Mountain Biking

Transmission breaker
Don
I changed the oil on my Z1 Bomber Bam today, re-adjusted and they feel great.
Will need new seals soon, but they work great considering they cost me £5 from the tip with the Cinder Cone frame :D
Finished building that up into my only hardtail today :)
kona1.jpg

I also got the collection out for some checks, so took a couple of pics.

mtbcollection1.jpg

Probably a bit different to your bikes!

Last edited:
Soldato
Building a Bird ZeroAM Boost and looking for a groupset builder that actually has XT Boost cranks as an option. Only found one on ubyk at the moment, but just wondered if anyone else had found a groupset builder with all the options.

Soldato
Hey, I am used to road biking. But got a Whyte Hard Tail ages ago for use in some local forests etc. So far it's been great craic, but I need new tires and have no idea whats good or bad for MTB's. At the moment it has WTB Nano I think and to be honest they lack the grip during the wet weather.

I was thinking of getting these (below), but there seems to be way to many types of the one brand! Keep in mind I won't be flying down any hills!

Size is 27.5

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/bike-tyres/maxxis-ardent-bike-tyre

Soldato
Hey, I am used to road biking. But got a Whyte Hard Tail ages ago for use in some local forests etc. So far it's been great craic, but I need new tires and have no idea whats good or bad for MTB's. At the moment it has WTB Nano I think and to be honest they lack the grip during the wet weather.

I was thinking of getting these (below), but there seems to be way to many types of the one brand! Keep in mind I won't be flying down any hills!

Size is 27.5

Had ardents, good tyres but mine seemed to get punctured very easily.

Soldato
I'm intrigued by the Boardman 8.9.

Halfords currently have 10% off everything. In the small print on banner it says "can be used in conjuction with any offer"... So that had me thinking.. Reserve and collect.. Take British cycling card.. Stack another 10% off. Then look at the extra deal they have on that bike. "£75 worth of free clothes /accessories".

If this works out. Good deal eh!?

Soldato

Size is 27.5

I went through this myself recently (see earlier in this thread).

I ended up with a Nobby Nic on both front and rear (2.35 front, 2.25 rear, although you can’t really tell the difference).

This seems to be a decent balance of grip, weight and rolling resistance.

Soldato

Size is 27.5

https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-hans-dampf-snakeskin-folding-mtb-tyre-275-66624.html

Id be tempted by those myself.

Soldato

I’ve got the TrailStar version of the Hans Damf and it’s got great grip, but it is heavy and has realitively high rolling resistance compared to the alternatives (like the NNs).

The PaceStar version may be lighter with less RR, but as @teaboy5 isn’t planning on much downhill, it may still be overkill.

It’s such a personal thing and really depends on the type of riding you do…

Soldato
I’ve got the TrailStar version of the Hans Damf and it’s got great grip, but it is heavy and has realitively high rolling resistance compared to the alternatives (like the NNs).

The PaceStar version may be lighter with less RR, but as @teaboy5 isn’t planning on much downhill, it may still be overkill.

It’s such a personal thing and really depends on the type of riding you do…

Yeah I do take around the country roads where I live the odd time, so I wouldn't want something with much RR.

Back
Top Bottom