Summer Transfer Thread 2018

fez

fez

Caporegime
Didn't Allison concede like 5 goals against Liverpool?

Didn't look like a great keeper to me.

Goalkeepers are a funny breed and I think thats why clubs are a little hesitant to pay huge money for them. You can't be as sure about a keeper performing in a new league as an outfield player in my opinion. DDG has been amazing for United for the past 4 or more years now yet for Spain hes been a bit weak. Not sure why. If you were looking to buy him on the back of his performances for Spain though you wouldn't put him anywhere near world class.

Soldato
Tbf could have a world class keeper and a crap defence in front if he is ends up facing 20 shots a match no keeper would save em all.

It's the mistakes you don't want e.g. Karius in our final.

Caporegime
Tbf could have a world class keeper and a crap defence in front if he is ends up facing 20 shots a match no keeper would save em all.

It's the mistakes you don't want e.g. Karius in our final.

I feel this is like what De Gea has managed to do for a few years lol :(

Caporegime
Goalkeepers are a funny breed and I think thats why clubs are a little hesitant to pay huge money for them. You can't be as sure about a keeper performing in a new league as an outfield player in my opinion. DDG has been amazing for United for the past 4 or more years now yet for Spain hes been a bit weak. Not sure why. If you were looking to buy him on the back of his performances for Spain though you wouldn't put him anywhere near world class.

Similarily Neuer in his last season for Schalke got demolished by manu with Souness creaming himself on commentary (the only time he's been on?). One game samples are irrelevant.

Don
I agree, although apparently Sturridge has done well pre-season. Obviously he's not been in favour with Klopp yet, but all the talent is there and if he can turn things around (and stay fit) that's as good as a new signing.

It's no longer the case of Sturridge staying fit anymore. Even when he's fit, he's physically no longer capable of playing at a high level. The guy either can no longer or is scared to break into anything more than a jog. I lost count of the times in recent seasons where a throughball was played to him, which the Sturridge of old gets onto and scores, where he's just given up on it.

Even a fit, fully functioning Sturridge still leaves us slightly short. As things stand we've got Sturridge, Ings, Origi & Solanke that could fill in for Firmino if he was out however we just have Shaqiri and if pushed Lallana, who is also 1 of just 2 central attacking/creative midfielders we have, covering Salah and Mane. Just having that one extra player that could fill in the attacking mid roles and cover the wide positions really would make a huge difference to our squad.
You can't be as sure about a keeper performing in a new league as an outfield player in my opinion.
Why? Surely, if anything, there's less outside factors from league to league that influence a keepers performance than an outfield player? The only change for a keeper from league to league will be the difference in physicality permitted but that's only going to effect them when dealing with crosses which is only a small part of their game (and lets be honest, keepers in all leagues get a hell of a lot of protection). Outfield players have to deal with the physicality throughout the majority of the game though.

Back
Top Bottom