• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5960x holding back a 1080ti

Soldato
See below quote from the SOW thread. A single core is sitting almost 100% which is choking the GPU. I see this in FC4 also. Is this normal for a 5960x?

I've tried the same area with my second system which is a 6700k/980ti both at stock, and they're hitting 100+ FPS with 100% GPU usage.

Maybe this is just happening in certain points in the game and it's an engine issue?

If you fast travel to Haedir (first tower in the game)...

i4UlpP1.png

And then jump off the tower to land next to the catapult thingy...

Rw7GzXp.jpg

ixW9tel.png

Spin clockwise so that the catapult is on your character's left hand side. You can see from the next image that the FPS is below the 100fps target and the GPU isn't being fully utilised - and the culprit seems to be core #9 which is working flat out at near 100%. All other cores are low usage.

There are other areas of the game where this is happening and the FPS is tanking to the 40's. Can anyone reproduce this to check that it's not my system at fault?

0RaSKjY.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Are you using the exact same graphics settings on your 6700K/980Ti system? maybe you have shadows set higher and they're being done on the processor?

I would've just said that the game engine is not very multithreaded but there's no real reason a 4.3ghz 5960X shouldn't be matching your other system.

Soldato
OP
I've had another look:

6700k (4.0 GHz) / 980ti (stock) / 2560*1440
5960x (4.3 GHz) / 1080ti (2000) / 3440*1440

Both systems are at the same save point, and lowest graphics settings. The 6700k system is pushing maximum frames and usage at all times. The 5960x can't hit maximum GPU usage, or maximum fps.

The 6700k seems to share the load across all 4 cores equally to around 60% each, but the 5960x is loading a single core up 100% and the rest of the cores are low usage around 10%.

:confused:

Soldato
BIOS flashed to latest, and no change with performance in the game. Here's the IBT result for 10 runs at 4.3GHz @ 1.3v.

Cinebench is scoring 1627 with the same settings.

ZtrytsP.png

~10GFlops difference from start to finish. Perhaps add +0.01V core voltage. On my other system if the core voltage was too low it would still pass IBT but GFlops was not fairly constant between iterations and there were subtle WHEA errors in event viewer.

Can you try running SOW with HT disabled so it uses physical cores instead?

Do you have any WHEA errors in event viewer?

Good luck.

Soldato
OP
If you have any Intel software installed, uninstall it. Plays havoc with certain programs.

Only Intel software installed is the IRST - should I try uninstalling that?

~10GFlops difference from start to finish. Perhaps add +0.01V core voltage. On my other system if the core voltage was too low it would still pass IBT but GFlops was not fairly constant between iterations and there were subtle WHEA errors in event viewer.

Can you try running SOW with HT disabled so it uses physical cores instead?

Do you have any WHEA errors in event viewer?

Good luck.

How do I search for them? Event viewer has heaps of error logs for DistributedCOM etc..

D3K

D3K

Soldato
See below quote from the SOW thread. A single core is sitting almost 100% which is choking the GPU. I see this in FC4 also. Is this normal for a 5960x?

I've tried the same area with my second system which is a 6700k/980ti both at stock, and they're hitting 100+ FPS with 100% GPU usage.
It's a known issue with FC since FC3.

Go into task man -> details -> find fc4 exe -> right-click -> set affinity, disable the core that is maxed out.

Idk if you need to alt tab back into the game, but I do, then alt tab back out. All the other cores should have kicked in, and you're free to enable the core you disabled again.

This might be the same with SOW, but I don't play it.

Soldato
OP
That's good then. What happens when you run SOW with HT disabled?

No difference, mate.

Go into task man -> details -> find fc4 exe -> right-click -> set affinity, disable the core that is maxed out.

Idk if you need to alt tab back into the game, but I do, then alt tab back out. All the other cores should have kicked in, and you're free to enable the core you disabled again.

Sounds promising, I'll try that once the wife disappears to bed. :p

Soldato
OP

Every time I disable a core, the load shifts to another. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom