• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1180 PCB breakdown

Soldato
because its a 8+6? like I dunno, a 1080ti? :D

Well yeah, this is a Titan/Ti board, but you've clearly convinced yourself so I shan't waste my typing trying to unpick your flawed logic.

What I will say though is this: it is entirely reasonable to expect 1080Ti performance from the 1180, but if Nvidia need 8+6 PCI-E to do it on a new generation then this is a backwards step. Winding the clock back to 700 series PCI-E power requirements better give us some insane performance at the mainstream level.

Associate
OP
Well yeah, this is a Titan/Ti board, but you've clearly convinced yourself so I shan't waste my typing trying to unpick your flawed logic.

What I will say though is this: it is entirely reasonable to expect 1080Ti performance from the 1180, but if Nvidia need 8+6 PCI-E to do it on a new generation then this is a backwards step. Winding the clock back to 700 series PCI-E power requirements better give us some insane performance at the mainstream level.

lol, its not a Titan. its 256bit! its a mid-tier card. ie a 2080 / 2070. 2080 is my guess.

some 1080ti cards were 8+8, one was even 8+8+8!! :D

Man of Honour

It is a Titan/Ti board as you mention above, the reason for this is the Titan V already uses a 8+6 PCI-E setup and draws far more power than any new 1180 could.

Soldato
its not a Titan. its 256bit!

Who says the Titan/Ti aren't dropping down to 256 bit? :p and herein lies the problem. Conflicting information and opinion based on rumours and speculation.

You say it's a mid-range card because mid-range cards are 256 bit. I say it's not a mid-range card because we haven't had 8+6 PCI at the mid-range for 2 generations. Based on these two points alone, either you're wrong because Nvidia are lowering the memory interface on the top-tier cards, or I'm wrong because the power requirements of this new generation are significantly higher than before.

We won't know until the damn thing is released in Q2 2020.

Man of Honour
lol, its not a Titan. its 256bit! its a mid-tier card. ie a 2080 / 2070. 2080 is my guess.

some 1080ti cards were 8+8, one was even 8+8+8!! :D

GDDR6 on a 256 bit bus could be very doable for the highend cards.

Having said that it could be a 16gb VRAM card with a 512bit bus. If someone with more knowledge than me about GDDR6 could step in here and clarify.

Man of Honour
ioLzQAi.jpg

zeWjFEF.jpg

The bottom PCB is for a GTX1080TI.

Looking at the size of the GPU pads,this looks smaller than than the GP102 in the GTX1080TI,so is under 471MM2.

I estimate around 400MM2 to 420MM2 in size,just comparing relative sizes(roughly).

Interestingly the GM204 in the GTX980 was around 398MM2.

Just had a thought

People are assuming the above is a pic of the upcoming 1180 PCB, for all we know it is just a board purely for testing hence the overkill with PCI-E and NVLink/SLI.:)

Soldato
my 970 was 8+6. mid tier

But that's an AIB card. We're talking Nvidia reference design here, and we've not seen a 8+6 reference design for mid-range since the 700 series.

700: 8+6
900: 6+6
1000: 8

so why would the 1100 go back to 8+6? Unless, as I said, Volta/Ampere/Turing/Ephemeral/whatever requires some massive power draw at the mid-range? Which would be stupid.

In any case, we're going around in circles for no gain. We will know when the card lands.

Man of Honour
True, but didn't we already see a supposed development/prototype PCB that had 3 x 8-pin and a bazillion fans on it?

NVidia would not limit themselves to a single PCB for testing/dev of new cards.:)

I also think at this stage of the game if we are going to see leaked pics of the new cards PCBs they would be fully populated with components.

Associate
OP
its not a prototype, its already been registered with FCC/CE. only one reverse nvlink isn't a quadro or pro card..and not a Titan cos that makes no sense putting a Titan out before a 2080 and its not enough phases.

Associate
OP
But that's an AIB card. We're talking Nvidia reference design here, and we've not seen a 8+6 reference design for mid-range since the 700 series.

700: 8+6
900: 6+6
1000: 8

so why would the 1100 go back to 8+6? Unless, as I said, Volta/Ampere/Turing/Ephemeral/whatever requires some massive power draw at the mid-range? Which would be stupid.

In any case, we're going around in circles for no gain. We will know when the card lands.

1080ti was 8+6. is this a 2080+? could be.

Back
Top Bottom