Travellers descend on Asda car park and refuse to move in stand off with police

Caporegime
Saw this and thought of GD:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6946611/travellers-rhyl-wales-asda-car-park/
ASDA employees were involved in a heated stand off with a group of travellers who set up camp in a supermarket car park, according to reports.

Staff at the store in Rhyl, North Wales, reportedly stood in front of a convoy of caravans in a bid to stop them setting up temporary home on the premises.

Fair play to the staff though for taking a stand, it is sadly another illustration though of how poor we are at tackling these people when they do commit crimes. Anyone else openly committing criminal damage would be arrested, especially if they hung around afterwards... but if you're with an aggressive gang complete with feral kids then the police will back off a bit and take the kid gloves approach - ignore the criminal damage, the fly tipping etc.. try to just monitor and claim it is all a civil matter.

Associate
Saw this and thought of GD:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6946611/travellers-rhyl-wales-asda-car-park/

Fair play to the staff though for taking a stand, it is sadly another illustration though of how poor we are at tackling these people when they do commit crimes. Anyone else openly committing criminal damage would be arrested, especially if they hung around afterwards... but if you're with an aggressive gang complete with feral kids then the police will back off a bit and take the kid gloves approach - ignore the criminal damage, the fly tipping etc.. try to just monitor and claim it is all a civil matter.
I wouldn't choose an ASDA car park to setup camp, maybe they were desperate, where do you think they should have gone / live?

Soldato
I wouldn't choose an ASDA car park to setup camp, maybe they were desperate, where do you think they should have gone / live?

They should buy/rent a house and pay council tax like the rest of us.
Some tried setting up around here a few years back, residents phoning police constantly due to burglaries and what not. They did nothing, so locals took it into there own hands and burned the caravans to the ground.

Soldato
Last time i went to Rhyl I was taking the missus to a race for life event there, the free car parking for the event had to be cancelled at the last minute as gypsy's had setup camp in the car park.

Horrible place, horrible people (both gypsy's and people from Rhyl :p).

Associate
They should buy/rent a house and pay council tax like the rest of us.
Some tried setting up around here a few years back, residents phoning police constantly due to burglaries and what not. They did nothing, so locals took it into there own hands and burned the caravans to the ground.
why should they? does everyone have to be the same and live in the same way?

the lawlessness is another matter and I have no time for anyone that is like that regardless of if they live in a caravan or a house.

Caporegime
OP

What a ridiculous position to take, no one is forcing them to set up camp in ASDA car park. If they're from the UK then they'll be able to get housed here or indeed might be able to arrange licence pitches. If they want to travel then they can pay for pitches too... just as anyone else who wants to travel or go on holiday has to pay for things like hotels or camp sites etc..

Soldato

the lawlessness is another matter and I have no time for anyone that is like that regardless of if they live in a caravan or a house.

Yes everyone living in this country should pay their way.
Want to live in a caravan great pay to pitch it somewhere.

Associate
Yes everyone living in this country should pay their way.
Want to live in a caravan great pay to pitch it somewhere.
dont think thats possible as a large group of people, not everyone wants to live in mainstream society or be part of the social contract, look what happened to new age travellers.

Caporegime
OP
dont think thats possible as a large group of people, not everyone wants to live in mainstream society or be part of the social contract, look what happened to new age travellers.

Well it doesn't really matter, I might want to live in a castle but it doesn't mean I can turn up on some land belonging to someone else and start building one.

Soldato
The whole thing wouldnt be such an issue if they had some respect for where they ruck up - if they didnt leave places looking like a rubbish tip costing us thousands to clear up after them they might get a bit a slack moving about

Caporegime

Fancy sending me your address so I can live on your property for free?

Back
Top Bottom