Android Pie (9.0) Thread

Permabanned
Project treble is barely on 10% of all android phones. It's a step in the right direction that will take time to improve. This time next year should yield some meaningful results due to the obvious reason that phones shipped with oreo need to support treble.

Agree in theory that Project Treble should make rollouts of updates to phones and tablets faster because it is easier for the OEMs to update now that hardware specific code (the vendor interface -- at least with Oreo) sits in a separate layer beneath the rest of the operating system. The stuff in the vendor interface remains the same so there is no need to manually code it into the operating system each time. So far so good.

However, Project Treble addresses the phone/tablet's lower level software (the code written by the silicon manufacturers) and not designed for higher level UI changes and features many OEMs make. So these OEMs will still have to take the time with these latter changes.

Will these OEMs really then change their behaviour? I hope so.

Associate
Does Whatsapp notification appear like this for everyone else or should the contact image appear here ?

x6Be81P.png

Edit ** Love the edit feature on the screenshot. Also love the new Screenshot option in power menu.

i don't understand the issue here with the whatsapp notificatoin.

if it's that it shows your reply, mine does this too, and goes when you turn the screen off, kind of cool as you can reply more than once, but when you're clearly done it removes the notification

Last edited:
Associate
I meant that it shows a G and C for the peoples name rather than their contact picture. I was just wondering if that was how it is or the picture should be displayed. Sorry for the confusion.

Soldato
Man of Honour
Battery life seems noticeably better on my Pixel 2 not that it was bad before but I'm definitely making it through the day with a good 10-15% more battery.

Associate
Battery life seems noticeably better on my Pixel 2 not that it was bad before but I'm definitely making it through the day with a good 10-15% more battery.

Was thinking the very same this morning, having not charged it overnight.

I then realised that I hadn't charged it since early hours of Wednesday morning whilst working nights. Not that I'm a heavy user, but it certainly has been improved.

Soldato
It completely slipped my mind that mum had a Pixel 2. Got Pie installed and had a quick flick through and it seems alright, nothing standout. The gestures don't look or feel as slick as on the iPhone, need a bit more direct animation.

Last edited:
Associate
I hope this isn't the future of Android because it's utterly grim. I'm staying on Oreo and skipping the Pie development cycle altogether. Material Design 2 is basically 'couldn't be bothered to design'

Back
Top Bottom