*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Man of Honour
Would one play:5 be sufficient (if it has better Bass then I'd favour that)? I'm still able to send the Play:3 back if I've changed my mind (sure they wouldn't be unhappy if I'm upgrading to the more expensive one).
Play 5 gen 2 is far superior to a Play 3.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
@Admiral Huddy when you press the volume up/down when you first turn on the TV, does the message not give you an option to no longer see the alert? I use the playbase with my Samsung (older TV, 2016?) and when I set it to external device, when I press up/down it pops up a message and you can select not to see it again.

Also, if you do pair it with two play:1 it is pretty decent. My TV doesn't output 5.1 so I bought an HDMI switch with optical out, which passes through the 5.1 signal. If your's does, you can easily check, go to settings/about my system when playing something that is encoded for 5.1 and it will say if it is receiving/outputting a 5.1 signal.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Great, try that, if you then choose the option to no longer be notified it should then be fine and you can carry on as usual. My TV has recently started exhibiting a just as annoying trait which is to accept that it's not doing the volume but still acknowledging, albeit it subtle, that I'm pressing the button whereas it didn't do that before. I've tried to convinced my wife that we need a new TV as a result but no luck just yet.

Associate
Bought a Sonos Beam and wall mounted it below a 49"Sony TV in bedroom to beef up the sound. Very impressed so far, sounds great and loving the Alexa "smart" functionality.

I like how easy it was to setup, ie hdmi cable from bar to arc hdmi on TV and TV then passes through sound.

Caporegime
Aye I'm just looking into that.

It's a pretty poor limitation though - I understand they may wish to focus on streaming services but such a limitation seems rather backwards to me.

Caporegime
You could use Plex which plays with Sonos.
No unfortunately it doesn't look like the Plex option is going to be feasible unfortunately.

I know its the official Sonos thread, but... what are my alternatives? I basically want Sonos but without the song limitation.

Actually hum; I wonder. So using some powershell to recursively file count it looks like I have 62,348 files; so I wonder why its hitting its limits.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I had a look last night and it seems I have to open a route through my firewall, as in it can't handle it all internally?

I'll investigate it more though.
I wouldn't have thought you'd need Plex to have external access unless you're doing Plex web. I have Plex myself, albeit a 'Plus' member or whatever it's called, but from what I recall you can use it to manage Music and play it into Sonos. I can take a look tomorrow evening if you'd like?

Back
Top Bottom